WRT54GS V7.2 Hangup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
bonkdlab
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:41    Post subject: WRT54GS V7.2 Hangup Reply with quote
I'm having difficulty flashing my router. I looked through the Router Database, read the wiki instructions, downloaded the files. Here is my hangup.

After inserting power cord & holding reset for 20 seconds, I go to the ip address & get the "Management Mode Firmware Upgrade page." Then, I navigate to the killer file, select, & push "Apply." At this point, it hangs for a bit, then I get a random error screen.

I'm using a Windows 10 machine. I've tried turning off the firewall, and I've tried using a separate windows 10 machine, neither worked. Does it matter if I’m using a vpn (I’ve tried turning it off)?

Different browser? I’ve been using Chrome.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are following this guide? https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54GS_v7.0_%26_7.2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I answered my own question- I was able to flash using the Edge browser.

Next question:

After researching how to setup VPN with Uverse service, finding out about dd-wrt, digging around in my attic for our old router, installing, finding instructions for Uverse setup, etc., etc., I find that-

The micro version of dd-wrt doesn't include the requisite OpenVPN service *sigh.

Is the vpn version just incompatible with my router?
Is there a workaround to use my router with a vpn?
I've been using instructions here:
https://support.nordvpn.com/#/Connectivity/Router/1047410342/DD-WRT-setup.htm

Am I just gonna have to find another router?
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
bonkdlab wrote:
The micro version of dd-wrt doesn't include the requisite OpenVPN service *sigh.

Is the vpn version just incompatible with my router?
Is there a workaround to use my router with a vpn?
[...]
Am I just gonna have to find another router?
The smallest VPN build is: dd-wrt.v24_vpn_generic.bin (3732 KB), so unless you change your flash chip, you are hosed. Another possibility would be to compress your CFE, use the Firmware Mod Kit to extract the aforementioned VPN files, and also use it to strip every possible thing from your micro build. But I doubt that it would fit even then...then there's the USB/SD mod, if that's even possible on the v7.2.

Don't do any of that; VPN on a 240 MHz (locked) old MIPS router would be very slow, but maybe that doesn't concern your use case. If cost is a factor, peruse your local Goodwill's for DD routers. I found a R6300 w/ PSU (still MIPS though...unfort not the v2) for $6. Or Newegg refurbs; I got an EA6900v1.1 last year for $40.

Or Malachi probably has some good options... Smile

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: