TP-Link Archer C7 differences between the v2 & the v4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 17:09    Post subject: TP-Link Archer C7 differences between the v2 & the v4 Reply with quote
I see, at least the v2 of thw C7 model is popular here.

There are six known versions of this model, thou the latest (v5) is questionable that it will show. Not sure why so close on the heels ov the current v4 they would announce another version.

The original v1 & v1.1 were replaced with the still available v2. All three have the split antenna setup which was a turn off for me. External ports are 5.6GHz only and internal antennas (if you can call them that) are 2.4GHz.

Bad design that was changed in the what I call a 'oddball' v3 which apparently wasn't popular or much of a seller. At least not here in the US. Other than going with dual band antennas, there were major PCB design changes, not just chipsets.

But, apparently the 'Radios' were still a problem, so a v4 was introduced with more major changes. From what I see, for the better. Simplifying the layout and reducing complexity, again with different chipsets. Also, with what appears to be reduced power consumption making theses the greenest of most of the Routers out there. As low as 3 watts operating (w/ 1 Radio).

Compare that with the Asus RT-N66U (& probably the RT-AC66U) at around 11 watts with the much higher temperatures even with their massive heat sinks that accounts for the number. Rolling Eyes

Performance AFAIK isn't a whole lot different between this & the N66U which I wished I didn't buy.

Last edited by videobruce on Sat Feb 24, 2018 22:42; edited 3 times in total
Sponsor
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 17:25    Post subject: Wi-Fi issues Reply with quote
I also see plenty of Wi-Fi issues reported here, what appears to be more than usual. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One of the biggest issues seems to be the 5.6GHz Radio LED does not light when it is in use. Well, I don't use the 5 gig Radio and when I disable the function, the 4 gig LED stays lit continuously. Question

I don't know about v2, but with v4 the only time the 2 gig Radio LED is lit is when there is activity. It's dark otherwise which is not like the predecessor WDR-3600/4300 where the Radio LED was lit if enabled and would flash with activity.
The LAN & Modem LED's only stay lit continuously when connected, they don't show activity, again unlike the 3600/4300 which I find a disadvantage.

I'm running v r35034 (02/17/1Cool of dd-wrt which I just upgraded from r34760 which I had issues with the 2 gig Radio getting disabled even thou it was set to enable. I disabled it, then re=enabled it, re-booted, power cycled, the reset & re-booted, but ti never returned.

I believe it may of been due to accessing the Router from my wireless Laptop (which I rarely use) and issuing a re-boot from the laptop via wireless which I never did before (for another un-related reason).

I have left the Router with the settings for a day, and unlike before, the 5 gig LED is still lit even thou the Radio is disabled. I have ti laugh since this is the opposite of most of the complaints. Shocked
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't specify which tp-link router, there are a million of them.
Since you only use the 2.4ghz band you aren't even taking advantage of AC, assuming it is an archer c7.
Btw, I'd take an rt-n66u over this any day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Amazing how a single letter & a number makes a difference.
OP corrected. Embarassed

I only use 2.4 because that is what my devices use. There are plenty of older devices out there and not everyone wants/needs/likes to keep up with planned obsolescence. Wink

Since you mentioned it why do you prefer the N66U?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stronger wifi signal in my house. Near unbrickabilty. The choice between asus, rmerlin and johns fork and dd-wrt.
Bigger flash, more options for those that need it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:57    Post subject: Asus N66U vs TP-Link Archer C7 v2 Reply with quote
I use two Archer C7 v2 for wifi (WDS AP and WDS Station).
My Main router is the N66U with wireless disabled, it handles NAT, DHCP, QoS. I got out of memory rebooting when I had QoS running on the Archer C7. The 256MB of RAM on the N66U is amazing. They are both great routers I just use them for different things. I plan on replacing the Asus N66U with a dual-core x64 PC this year. Then put dd-wrt on that and see how it goes.

Asus routers are really easy to recover. I have recovered my N66U at least two times, without fail. You can do it without opening the case but I like to see what the router is up to so I connect a serial cable.

The Archer C7 and most newer TP-Links have a built-in TFTP client (not server like most routers, Asus N66U) looking for an approriately named file served by 192.168.0.66. I have recovered it several times as well. It can be really picky about timing and always requires me to open the case and hook up a serial cable.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 15:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Stronger wifi signal in my house.
Interesting you mentioned that since I forgot to.

I realize the following is a 'one way' test, but it still shows a definite 'receiver' difference between TP-Link & Asus.

Using the "Site Survey" with the SAME two antennas in the SAME location on the 2.4 Radio, TP-Link had 50% more AP's in range than the Asus. I ran multiple 'refreshes' with the Survey window open and took a screen shot of the list that had the most results as the example for each.
The tests were made within minutes of one another with the other Router off.

15 with the N66U vs 27 AP's w/ the C7. I had similar results using the older WDR3600. I re-ran the test with the Asus a 2nd time due to the poor results. The outcome was the same. I also re-checked settings on both which were fine. The only manual change I made was assigning a channel manually (same channel for both), again only one was 'on' at one time.
videobruce
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 13:02    Post subject: Wi-Fi indicators Reply with quote
Update; the 'flaky' 5.6GHz indicator finally decided to not to light continuously, since I do have this disabled (not used). The 2.4GHz flashes only with activity, normally it's dark unlike previous versions.

I'm still running the same F/W version(r35034).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: