D-Link DIR-878 A1 reset button not working with DD-WRT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
climber
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:54    Post subject: D-Link DIR-878 A1 reset button not working with DD-WRT Reply with quote
Hi,

Flashing this router with factory-to-dd-wrt.bin dated "2017-09-08" on the router database renders the reset button of the router inoperable. If a user forgets the administrator username or password, the only way to access the router (if Telnet or SSH is disabled) is to use the "emergency room (a utility to flash the D-Link routers if the router can not be accessed by usual means)" to flash it back to stock firmware. The reset button can be used normally with stock firmware, although 30-30-30 reset seems to be not working for this particular model.

This is an important issue to be addressed because even when the Web UI of DD-WRT is accessible, the router can not be reset by using the reset button after flashing with the above mentioned version of DD-WRT.

Note: Although this router is advertised as an AC1900 3x3:3 stream router, it shares the same platform as DIR-882 AC2600 4x4:4 stream router (without the USB ports) and can operate as an AC2600 4x4:4 stream router as confirmed by D-Link. (source: smallnetbuilder.com)
Sponsor
FurryNutz
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried the latest version of WRT r34311 or later?

What happens if you hold down the reset button after turning on for 15 seconds? Can you access the OEM Recovery mode in your browser after setting a static IP address on a wired LAN PC?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I opened a ticket concerning this issue. Also erase nvram has no effect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Got this issue also.....plus for some unknown reason my admin/root user I create when flashed deletes itself...and there is no way for me to log onto the router. DRI-882-A1 . I've just been using emerency room to reflash it when I cant get into it anymore. I'll try the newest version shortly and see if that fixes it...but what a pain to lose control in like 12 hours. And I tried 3 different versions.

Currently on Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r34929 std (02/12/1Cool
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Erase nvram now works from telnet but the reset button still doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Never had issues with erase nvram so long as Telnet Management was enabled followed by an immediate reboot.
However, the current 04-04-2018-r35667 resulted in slow web browsing.
Reverted to older firmware.
casualtester
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Browsing speed returned to normal/quick with the current 04-06-2018-r35681 version. Smile
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still wish the reset button would work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello,
to the DIR 878 Users.
I only get 130Mb/s on my 2.4 GHz WLAN
DD-WRT v3.0-r35681 std (04/06/1Cool
I had this problem with previous releases too

My WLAN:
Interface
Mode AP
Network NG-Mixed
Channel 6 + 2 (2437 MHz) Wide HT40
TX Power 71 mW (Auto)
Rate 130 Mb/s (displayed on Status)
WPA2 Personal

i tested some other channels and modes (auto, ng-mixed, n). cant get more than 130. a connected client gets only around 54-90 Mbits as WLAN Speed.

With 5GHz i get 1560 Mb/s

Are your 2.4 GHz speed is normal?
DanishSaint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yikes.... I wish I had known that! I have somehow manage to forget my login credentials for my 878 and I have been pushing and holding the reset button like a mad man! If I flash with the newest version, will it reset login informations to standard or maintain the current?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
DanishSaint wrote:
Yikes.... I wish I had known that! I have somehow manage to forget my login credentials for my 878 and I have been pushing and holding the reset button like a mad man! If I flash with the newest version, will it reset login informations to standard or maintain the current?

You will have to put it into recovery mode and flash stock back to it and start over.
Btw, reading up on timeline, the reset button issue will probably never get fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
DanishSaint wrote:

You will have to put it into recovery mode and flash stock back to it and start over.
Btw, reading up on timeline, the reset button issue will probably never get fixed.

Hello,
does anyone know the reset button problem has been solved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: