WDR3600 - Dual Band Repeater?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
AT1411832
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 13:21    Post subject: WDR3600 - Dual Band Repeater? Reply with quote
Can the WDR3600 be configured as a dual band repeater?

I am currently using a Surfboard SBG6580 Modemn, which has a selectable dual band wifi built-in. Unfortunately, only one band can be used at a time.

I tried the tutorial for the repeater, and it only sets up 1 band, not both. I would like to setup both as i have devices which cannot use 5Ghz and some do.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

ATS
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 16:15    Post subject: Repeater Reply with quote
I would not suggest it. Usually it causes weird bridging issues. It is better to use one for the back link and the other set up as AP mode, with a different SSID, channel, etc.

WDS is what I use. I don't suggest using the router/modem combos. The router parts are usually not very high powered. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Linking_Routers

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
AT1411832
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 13:08    Post subject: Re: Repeater Reply with quote
ian5142 wrote:
I would not suggest it. Usually it causes weird bridging issues. It is better to use one for the back link and the other set up as AP mode, with a different SSID, channel, etc.

WDS is what I use. I don't suggest using the router/modem combos. The router parts are usually not very high powered. https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Linking_Routers

Hi Ian,

As of now, I do not use Modem's Wifi capability. I use the Ethernet out from the modem and use my WDR3600 to create the WiFi networks.

To confirm, i can use 2 WDR3600 in WDS mode and extend wifi networks with same SSIDs? One WDR3600 connected to the modem with a Ethernet cable and one more router connected remotely.

Also, can you point me to any tutorials on setting up dual WDS routers? Can i follow the one, https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network and add ath1 portion for the dual band setup?

Thanks
ATS
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:07    Post subject: WDS Setup Reply with quote
I would suggest using WDS between both routers (not the modem) only on one band (2.4GHz or 5GHz) not both. Then create a separate AP with the same SSID and password, but different channel on the other band (not the WDS link).

That WDS wiki page is well written. I have used it to setup WDS links on all of my Atheros based routers. I have not used WDS on Broadcom yet. I have heard it does not work as well as on Atheros systems.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
AT1411832
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 13:14    Post subject: It works! Reply with quote
I got it all working last week, after a week of multiple failed attempts with the firmware recommended by router database. Its unfortunate that the router database is not upto date, as that is the first place where people will look into.

After going through multiple threads, and seeing that people had success with the latest firmware i have now installed the latest version of WDR3600 firmware and can say that everything is working great, with speeds of 35Mbps.

The only thing not working with the latest firmware, is the led for the 2.4GHz, which i don't care.

Thanks Ian for your help.
ATS
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 13:20    Post subject: Router Database Reply with quote
The issue with the router database is known. Brainslayer, or whoever is actually in charge of managing the dd-wrt website does not care about the router database. That is why I wrote up a section in the FAQs here: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Index:FAQ#Where_do_I_download_firmware.3F

Atheros:
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Asus N66U - AP
MediaTek
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: