D-LINK DIR-860L B1 router

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Pr0xiMUS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
@radmin, since limiting upload haven't done much, I would like to ask you if you could compile and provide QoS enabled version of padavan firmware for this unit?

Here is the link with instructions:
- https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/5d0wmx/guide_how_to_install_padavan_custom_firmware_on/
- https://bitbucket.org/padavan/rt-n56u/wiki/RU/Использование модулей QoS (google translate)
Sponsor
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
done
Pr0xiMUS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks! Here is what I did:

1. flashed new FW: DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099_qos_shaper.trx
2. disable HW NAT: padavan GUI -> WAN -> Internet connection -> Hardware Offload NAT/Routing IPv4: Disable (slow)
3. ssh to router:
Code:

cd /etc/storage
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jvehent/lnw-tc/master/lnw_gateway_tc.sh
chmod +x lnw_gateway_tc.sh

4. Now customize this script using vi editor - change interface, link speed and path to tc and iptables. Since TC is shaping only outbound traffic, if you want to limit upload and leave the download as is then use interface eth3 (WAN interface on my router - list interfaces with 'ip link'). For shaping download then use br0 interface. This is my config
Code:

NETCARD=eth3    # network card to apply egress QoS, I've put 80% of ISP rated upload
UPLINK=600      # upload in kbits/s
DOWNLINK=10000  # download in kbits/s

TC=/bin/tc
IPT=/bin/iptables

5. run: ./lnw_gateway_tc.sh start

Now enjoy stable ADSL connection. More info in script used for QoS setup: http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:networking:traffic_control

edit: for the script to survive router reboot, you have to issue 'mtd_storage.sh save' (via this url).
Thokenash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
How do I go with the installation of all these things? I am buying a DIR 860L B1 today.

Steps:

1. Connect my PC to which LAN port (bottom or top of the router discounting the internet port)
2. Flash from Whatever firmware is already on it to dd-wrt (whatever revision works)?
3. Flash from dd-wrt to ramadins latest. There are 3 files in there.

DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099
DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099_qos_shaper
DIR-860L_3.4.3.9L-099

All of them end in .trx
I did not pick anything from the old folder.

Which one should I pick???

I do not particularly care about 5ghz. But it seems like the latest working build according to this thread of dd-wrt (R31571). But that does not contain the Krack security patch. I guess.

Thanks for any help. Your great. Cheers.
Laughing

Purpose:

SSH from remote computer into the router to send a Wake On Land packet to the entire network (with the proper mac adress for the computer and all). Since it's a bitch/very very hard to send a broadcast packet on .255 from a network outside the home network. Ergo I want redundancy incase Power computer on powerloss in BIOS fails.
dntq83
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:43    Post subject: Revert to stock firmware Reply with quote
I already installed Padavan ROM, How can i Revert to stock D-LINK firmware ?

Thank you
Pr0xiMUS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:05    Post subject: Re: Revert to stock firmware Reply with quote
dntq83 wrote:
I already installed Padavan ROM, How can i Revert to stock D-LINK firmware ?

Thank you

Copy-paste from somewhere:
Push and hold reset button until power led starts flashing (about 10 secs or so) while plugging in the power cable.
The recovery page is at http://192.168.0.1 and you need to set IP address manually on your client.
You can either use D-Link's own firmware or *-factory.bin provided by OpenWRT.
radmir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added samba 3.6.25 with all security patches for Windows 10 Fall Creators support (SMB v2).
diavolu88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 14:10    Post subject: successful flash Reply with quote
Hello,

Used this router for 1 year with the stock firmware and the experience was crap.

I tried openWRT and dd-wrt but none provided stable 5Ghz like padavan is.

The only problem I had before flashing this firmware is the fact that I was a total noob and scared to do it.

So now, as the frustration was high and budget was very low, I have thrown the dices. (I have 1 more router as a backup with no 5Ghz)

Anyway, I want to explain in more detail the procedure I followed:

I recommend to connect the router directly to pc via ethernet cable.

Prepare a USB flash drive FAT32 formatted and copy padavan files from https://yadi.sk/d/6ttXcerpJ2hg3/DIR860LB1:

a. DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099.trx (or the newest firmware available)
b. mtd2.bin

1. Flash "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" v3.0 build: 37305 from dd-wrt site via the factory firmware

2. Connect with browser by accessing url: 192.168.1.1 and copy:

a. LAN MAC
b. WAN MAC
c. Wireless MAC

3. Connect the USB flash drive to the router usb port

4. SSH into the router with address 192.168.1.1 with user: root; password: admin

5. Create directories to read from USB from SSH:

mkdir /mnt/media
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/media
cd /mnt/media
or
cd /dev/sda1

6. Execute firmware flash from SSH:

run mtd write -r name_and_extension of the firmware linux

* Note, when I tried, it didn't recognize the -r parameter, so I just did it without it, and restarted manually the router.

7. Execute factory eeprom flash

SSH again into the router

*you may be required to to do these commands again:

mkdir /mnt/media
cd /mnt/media
or
cd /dev/sda1

run mtd_write write mtd2.bin "Factory"

8. Add copied MAC by executing there commands in SSH:

lan_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2C
wan_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2D
radio2_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2E
radio5_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2F

*Note that the last MAC is just the continued sequence of MAC series by replacing the last letter "E" to "F" the rest is exactly the same.

9. Restart

If you have a setup like me:

Internet - router - d-link 860l router - pc, and if you don't have internet after performing the steps, change the default ip of the d-link router to 192.168.2.1 as most probably the first one is as well 192.168.1.1 and might create a big conflict in your setup which results in no INTERNET access.

A big thanks to radmir for this excellent port.

The router is now blazing fast and stable.

Disclaimer: all the steps are collected from the previous posts (thanks guys). The above steps are just meant to bring some kind of enlightenment for future noobs that stumble upon this gem.

Cheers
therock003
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Guys im a monster newb and dont know much about networking. I just purchased this bad product and for the most part it gives me trouble and does not cooperate. Wont go into specifics but ultimately I was advised to flash ddwrt firmware and give this one last chance.

Could you please tell me exactly how to flash the nesecary firmware and where to get the most suitable version for it
Thokenash
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Flashed mine with beta build 41791 (grabbed it from the router database). Everything seems to work fine so far.

If you have issues with steam/p2p like I used to have. Just bump the Maximum ports up to 16384. We have so much Ram on this router that it will be fine to do so. You may encounter a temporary inability to use the webgui for the router while you are using the Steam Webbrowser and/or downloading stuff on p2p. But that will resolve itself when it calms down. Other then that it's working pretty great.

Finally the days of waiting 10+ minutes for a decent selection of servers etc are over. Very Happy
labrok
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thokenash wrote:
Flashed mine with beta build 41791 (grabbed it from the router database). Everything seems to work fine so far.

If you have issues with steam/p2p like I used to have. Just bump the Maximum ports up to 16384. We have so much Ram on this router that it will be fine to do so. You may encounter a temporary inability to use the webgui for the router while you are using the Steam Webbrowser and/or downloading stuff on p2p. But that will resolve itself when it calms down. Other then that it's working pretty great.

Finally the days of waiting 10+ minutes for a decent selection of servers etc are over. Very Happy

qos is complete or Queuing Discipline selection is missing? web gui is working? 5Ghz is working on full power or its just 1 signal line @ 1 m away like before?
thekingofspain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the Padavan ROM, is the 5G band suppose to work? The 2G band is working in bridge mode without issue. The 5G band is not find any SSIDs.
thekingofspain
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to get to 5G to work in bridged repeater mode, but not very well. The 2G bridge mode is more stable and has higher bandwidth than the 5G Sad

What is not working and contributes to the confusion is that on the 5g the "Access Point Survey" feature in 5g STA SSID selection input does not work.

Manually setting the SSID, Security and the Chanel does set up the bridged mode. The Padavan Asus 5G channel interface lists a different set of channels compared to the what DD-WRT lists. Note sue if this is contributing to the issue or not. In addition the Padvan Asus 5G band does not have an AC only mode which could also be contributing something.

Note the B1 router in bridged mode is using a fixed IP on the same subnet as the Main Router/DHCP server. I put the wan port on its on subnet since I could not see a way to disable it. Clients connected to the LAN ports are obtaining DCHP address from the main router automatically.

Iperf3 tests on the 5G then initial run the highest just below 100Mbps. The second run drop 10 to 20 Mbsp, the third run is about 40% of the initial run. Not the remaining 7 runs and all under the third run, and sometime drop to 0Mps.

I did have to make up new mac address, I just took the my other DIRE-850L-A1 Mac address,and change the second to last octet to from 02 to 03 and applied this to the B1 router.
crashnburn_in
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:10    Post subject: Re: successful flash Reply with quote
diavolu88 wrote:
Hello,

Used this router for 1 year with the stock firmware and the experience was crap.

I tried openWRT and dd-wrt but none provided stable 5Ghz like padavan is.

The only problem I had before flashing this firmware is the fact that I was a total noob and scared to do it.

So now, as the frustration was high and budget was very low, I have thrown the dices. (I have 1 more router as a backup with no 5Ghz)

Anyway, I want to explain in more detail the procedure I followed:

I recommend to connect the router directly to pc via ethernet cable.

Prepare a USB flash drive FAT32 formatted and copy padavan files from https://yadi.sk/d/6ttXcerpJ2hg3/DIR860LB1:

a. DIR-860L_3.4.3.9-099.trx (or the newest firmware available)
b. mtd2.bin

1. Flash "factory-to-ddwrt.bin" v3.0 build: 37305 from dd-wrt site via the factory firmware

2. Connect with browser by accessing url: 192.168.1.1 and copy:

a. LAN MAC
b. WAN MAC
c. Wireless MAC

3. Connect the USB flash drive to the router usb port

4. SSH into the router with address 192.168.1.1 with user: root; password: admin

5. Create directories to read from USB from SSH:

mkdir /mnt/media
cd /mnt/media
or
cd /dev/sda1

6. Execute firmware flash from SSH:

run mtd write -r name_and_extension of the firmware linux

* Note, when I tried, it didn't recognize the -r parameter, so I just did it without it, and restarted manually the router.

7. Execute factory eeprom flash

SSH again into the router

*you may be required to to do these commands again:

mkdir /mnt/media
cd /mnt/media
or
cd /dev/sda1

run mtd_write write mtd2.bin "Factory"

8. Add copied MAC by executing there commands in SSH:

lan_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2C
wan_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2D
radio2_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2E
radio5_eeprom_mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:2F

*Note that the last MAC is just the continued sequence of MAC series by replacing the last letter "E" to "F" the rest is exactly the same.

9. Restart

If you have a setup like me:

Internet - router - d-link 860l router - pc, and if you don't have internet after performing the steps, change the default ip of the d-link router to 192.168.2.1 as most probably the first one is as well 192.168.1.1 and might create a big conflict in your setup which results in no INTERNET access.

A big thanks to radmir for this excellent port.

The router is now blazing fast and stable.

Disclaimer: all the steps are collected from the previous posts (thanks guys). The above steps are just meant to bring some kind of enlightenment for future noobs that stumble upon this gem.

Cheers

Interesting. Still using this? or anything better?
crashnburn_in
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
thekingofspain wrote:
I was able to get to 5G to work in bridged repeater mode, but not very well. The 2G bridge mode is more stable and has higher bandwidth than the 5G Sad

What is not working and contributes to the confusion is that on the 5g the "Access Point Survey" feature in 5g STA SSID selection input does not work.

Manually setting the SSID, Security and the Chanel does set up the bridged mode. The Padavan Asus 5G channel interface lists a different set of channels compared to the what DD-WRT lists. Note sue if this is contributing to the issue or not. In addition the Padvan Asus 5G band does not have an AC only mode which could also be contributing something.

Note the B1 router in bridged mode is using a fixed IP on the same subnet as the Main Router/DHCP server. I put the wan port on its on subnet since I could not see a way to disable it. Clients connected to the LAN ports are obtaining DCHP address from the main router automatically.

Iperf3 tests on the 5G then initial run the highest just below 100Mbps. The second run drop 10 to 20 Mbsp, the third run is about 40% of the initial run. Not the remaining 7 runs and all under the third run, and sometime drop to 0Mps.

I did have to make up new mac address, I just took the my other DIRE-850L-A1 Mac address,and change the second to last octet to from 02 to 03 and applied this to the B1 router.

Interesting. Even I wish to use this Router as an AC AP minus the DHCP as I'll take DHCP from Main Router.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 6
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: