Degrading quality of software

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
SpiderVice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
OpenWRT is actually more unstable on my 841ND v9 than DD-WRT. The wifi drivers are actually more responsive but they drop at random, whereas this stopped happening in recent DD-WRT builds. Also, it uses k4.9 on such an old device, which limits it even more in terms of free resources.

Edit: LAN speeds seem to be quicker on OpenWRT though.
Sponsor
rickmav3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
teslacoil wrote:
rickmav3 wrote:
Yeah, that's the definition of FREE: take it of f.king LEAVE!

I'll stay right here, thank you very much. If you had studied the definition of what "free" means when it comes to software, we aren't talking about price. But I think you are too much of an imbecile to have an adult discussion without getting emotional so I'm not going to even entertain the conversation. And I am also not convinced you would be able to ascertain and absorb that information into your tiny little brain.

You would have read where I said DD-WRT is a great project for consumer-grade routers. I suppose something got lost in translation (or between your ears).

rickmav3 wrote:
The source code is FREE! If you even get what the make command does.

Have compiled more software and maintained it than you ever will. Anything else?

rickmav3 wrote:
A lot of good free FOSS projects with dedicated devs. on Web are just getting ruined by some smart a$$es with their so called "expertise" advising on better options or bashing the project and the devs.

And you are an asset?

rickmav3 wrote:
Those who are aware of what dd-wrt has, they know that to get these features on a network device you have to go thousand $ enterprise gear. And no, Ubiquiti does not match even close the network features of dd-wrt.

Ubiquiti gear is equal to or better than Cisco and runs huge enterprise networks; I have no clue what you are even talking about. And thousands of dollars? Are you fucking serious? Try $50 for an ER-X which does far more than DD-WRT, or an inexpensive pfSense box. Again, you have really no clue what you're talking about. It was just like an emotional rant from a 9 year old. The enterprise isn't running DD-WRT on some chinky cheap-ass little home router in a cheap plastic housing made with the cheapest wave soldering process in existence.

See, people like the guy I just rebutted above just proves the ignorance and lack of knowledge people on this forum have when it comes to networking and networking gear. Yes, you can run DD-WRT on some enterprise-grade routers but nobody I know in the industry does that. Why would you? Pointless. There is a difference between a network engineer and a schizoid nerd who lives in his mom's basement tinkering around with a router picked up at a swap meet.

Every network engineer I know, PERSONALLY won't touch DD-WRT with a 10-foot pole, not even for their home router. Anytime I ever mentioned it their faces cringed because of the nightmares they experienced with it. It's time the project takes a different direction, if that's even possible at this point.

Deranged self entitled network engineer coming into a consumer routers FREE software forum bragging about his so called expertise with enterprise gear. Just f..king LEAVE retard snob! Go and fantasy about your network skills with your buddies who cannot even setup config on a home router with dd-wrt. Having nightmares from setting up dd-wrt! Network engineers... LOL!! More like network engi-losers... Even some lesser brains dd-wrt users here can actually run dd-wrt on their cheap plastic routers. LEAVE loser! Rebut my A$$!
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 21:35    Post subject: Where do you escaped? Reply with quote
rickmav3 wrote:
...yadayadayada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm a ddwrt since, probably 2007 or so, which i used in a asus wl500gp deluxe. Since then I started using other routers and sticked to the stock firmware for some years. That coincided with the "beta" version of ddwrt (I didn't want to be changing firmware every couple of weeks) but also a peak of work which meant that if everything was running fine stock, I didn't want to waste time trying firmware.

It all changed when my tplink 1043nd v3 router was not going to be patched following the krack hack (the lastest firmware version is from 2015!!!) and so tried ddwrt again. It has been a positive experience and the router working just fine plus devs did what tp-link should have done which is to patch a broken firmware, that knowingly is flawed. ddwrt devs are providing a free service that should be provided by the router manufacturer which helps extending the lifespan of the device(s). If this was not solved, most likely I would have bought a new router just to have poor firmware support, so that i would feel the need to get a new one in a couple years and so on. One of the things I do when buying a router is first to check if it is supported by ddwrt. In my view, ddwrt is even helping us to avoid littering the world with perfectly good hardware!

Having said that, it's true that the latest ddwrt releases have some issues which makes the experience a bit iffy. And hence I understand some frustration. But that does not give the users the right to come here and bash the devs, and sometimes some of the more advanced users that might be willing to help out solving some of the issues that might arise. I also do not think that observations like "Yeah, that's the definition of FREE: take it of f.king LEAVE!" help the discussion alot...
Doppel-D
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:30    Post subject: @dasnick Good points, valid criticism is surely better Reply with quote
than bashing devs or other users. If it really helps is another question.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
dasnick wrote:

Having said that, it's true that the latest ddwrt releases have some issues which makes the experience a bit iffy. And hence I understand some frustration. But that does not give the users the right to come here and bash the devs, and sometimes some of the more advanced users that might be willing to help out solving some of the issues that might arise. I also do not think that observations like "Yeah, that's the definition of FREE: take it of f.king LEAVE!" help the discussion alot...

Like !
labo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
dasnick wrote:

Like !

LOL, wanted to say +1
Even BS wouldn't have bashed this bad Wink.
Unfortunately, this discussion getting into an unproductive arguments.

Partly the frustration is due to missing frequent updates from Kong theses days.
I know he is now part time so we can't expect more from him.

QNAP QSW-1208-8C 12-Port 10GbE Switch
XS712T ProSafe 12-Port 10GbE Switch
3 X R9000 DD-WRT Mesh
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
well if there is one thing i could come up with, it would be how when you go to create a static lease.

Like go to services and check where you can add and remove static leases. it would allow you to remove them, but you have to like remove several just so it would go all the way up to one of the ones you have to remove and then you have to re-add the ones you deleted a while ago.

like put a trash can next to each static lease you can create so you can delete the leases you dont want while keeping the ones you do want.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
tatsuya46
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
well if there is one thing i could come up with, it would be how when you go to create a static lease.

Like go to services and check where you can add and remove static leases. it would allow you to remove them, but you have to like remove several just so it would go all the way up to one of the ones you have to remove and then you have to re-add the ones you deleted a while ago.

like put a trash can next to each static lease you can create so you can delete the leases you dont want while keeping the ones you do want.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3501

BrainSlayer wrote:
we just do it since we do not like any restrictions enforced by stupid cocaine snorting managers

[x86_64] Haswell i3-4150/QCA9984/QCA9882 ------> r55797 std
[QUALCOMM] DIR-862L --------------------------------> r55797 std
▲ ACTIVE / INACTIVE ▼
[QUALCOMM] WNDR4300 v1 --------------------------> r50485 std
[BROADCOM] DIR-860L A1 ----------------------------> r50485 std

Sigh.. why do i exist anyway.. | I love you Anthony.. never forget that.. my other 99% that ill never see again..

Pattagghiu
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
tatsuya46 wrote:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/3501

4 years ago lol
"i will accept this as enhancement and will implement it soon"

Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOL I know too little about dd-wrt then.

I do remember the good times when kong was developing dd-wrt for the Netgear r7000. Made it the best dd-wrt router ever. Rarely had issues with it until it had some hardware error.

Like I'm serious. I even serial in and do hard reset there and it still would not resolve reboot issue no matter what firmware build i used. Came to r7800 and r7500v2 and the experience feels ok. Specifically games. Hope to see better improvements on QOS and wifi soon.

Now that I think about it, there were actually times where I wanted to pay Kong but he would, in a way, tell me to keep my money to myself and look into the problem I was actually about to pay him to fix. Like the wifi channels for the broadcom routers (both mips and arm). Not sure about atheros.

There was also the time with...I forgot what it was called but it had something to do with "Microsoft something discovery" or whatever. Basically, it was so my computer's could detect the printer on my network. He said it was a driver issue and eventually it was fixed.

Not sure what I could say about Brainslayer. He never really replied to me directly except once through Kong (can't remember what it was) and also at least once on the forums when I told him to chill. Malachi pm'd me about how I had such big "courage" (Lenny face here) to reprimand Brainslayer. Kind of a powerful word to use to describe if you ask me.

Also, is this forums strictly for support only? Because I want to join in on some of the fun and shenanigans but at the same time I get this bad feeling that my posts and threads sre gonna get deleted or I would be reprimanded for it. I know the ledge but I'm afraid you all might doubt that.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
LOL I know too little about dd-wrt then.

I do remember the good times when kong was developing dd-wrt for the Netgear r7000. Made it the best dd-wrt router ever. Rarely had issues with it until it had some hardware error.

Like I'm serious. I even serial in and do hard reset there and it still would not resolve reboot issue no matter what firmware build i used. Came to r7800 and r7500v2 and the experience feels ok. Specifically games. Hope to see better improvements on QOS and wifi soon.

Now that I think about it, there were actually times where I wanted to pay Kong but he would, in a way, tell me to keep my money to myself and look into the problem I was actually about to pay him to fix. Like the wifi channels for the broadcom routers (both mips and arm). Not sure about atheros.

There was also the time with...I forgot what it was called but it had something to do with "Microsoft something discovery" or whatever. Basically, it was so my computer's could detect the printer on my network. He said it was a driver issue and eventually it was fixed.

Not sure what I could say about Brainslayer. He never really replied to me directly except once through Kong (can't remember what it was) and also at least once on the forums when I told him to chill. Malachi pm'd me about how I had such big "courage" (Lenny face here) to reprimand Brainslayer. Kind of a powerful word to use to describe if you ask me.

Also, is this forums strictly for support only? Because I want to join in on some of the fun and shenanigans but at the same time I get this bad feeling that my posts and threads sre gonna get deleted or I would be reprimanded for it. I know the ledge but I'm afraid you all might doubt that.

Reprimand is a powerful word? Lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
plz lock this thread now, it just got too boring... Twisted Evil
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: