Linksys ea8500 port is ready

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 123, 124, 125  Next
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Rocketboy235 Not sure where mrjcd has been but hope he is OK, mrjcd is the one who made the tutorial.

I used the header pins, got them off ebay. mrjcd suggested a workaround for the folks that didn’t have the pin like just hooking something up on a temporary basis just to flash it. Maybe tape the board down and then strip off some 22 or 24 gauge wire and tape that down and then do temporary solder job or tape them to the board. Then insert the other end in your TTL cable. It would be tricky without the header pins. Or try like Malachi says and just add a little more solder to get it going. I did it with my board, it is not pretty but it worked. My soldering gun was overkill for this job
Sponsor
Mark1958
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rocketboy235 wrote:
Hey, so I'm trying to install the header pins on my EA8500 after managing to open it up but I'm greeted with the holes filled in so I'm not sure if there is some way I can clear it. I did try to use the soldering iron to heat it up but it doesn't seem to work or maybe I didn't try long enough? Has anyone else encountered this before? I looked online and only seen someone else mentioning this but wasn't sure how they exactly worked around this or how they managed to install the header pins into it?

Like Malachi said add a little fresh solder, that’s what I did and when it gets nice and soft I just Shot down at the hole with a can of compressed air on the board right above the hole and the solder cleared right out of the hole, and then was able to insert the pin right in and just solder in from the under side of the board.

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark1958 wrote:
Rocketboy235 wrote:
Hey, so I'm trying to install the header pins on my EA8500 after managing to open it up but I'm greeted with the holes filled in so I'm not sure if there is some way I can clear it. I did try to use the soldering iron to heat it up but it doesn't seem to work or maybe I didn't try long enough? Has anyone else encountered this before? I looked online and only seen someone else mentioning this but wasn't sure how they exactly worked around this or how they managed to install the header pins into it?

Like Malachi said add a little fresh solder, that’s what I did and when it gets nice and soft I just Shot down at the hole with a can of compressed air on the board right above the hole and the solder cleared right out of the hole, and then was able to insert the pin right in and just solder in from the under side of the board.

You can also use small test clip leads. Just clip them on and be sure they are making contact with the solder pads. That was the way I did it. I figured once I had DD-WRT on my router, I would never go back, so I didn't want to waste the time involved with soldering. If you do decide to solder, make sure your tip is small and your iron is hot.

Cheers.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
05dyna wrote:
@ lexridge I only tried it briefly and then changed devices so not using it anymore plus we don’t have data caps but it does sound like you could benefit from it. Also it does have the cool factor going for it. The Dev’s install instructions are excellent. Check out that link for more detailed info, good luck

I already have it installed. I have been playing with the GUI for a few hours now. Looks like it will certainly do what I need. I will run it for a month and do some comparative data on it.

Thanks again man!
Rocketboy235
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll give this a shot tomorrow when I get out of work.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
05dyna wrote:
@ lexridge I only tried it briefly and then changed devices so not using it anymore plus we don’t have data caps but it does sound like you could benefit from it. Also it does have the cool factor going for it. The Dev’s install instructions are excellent. Check out that link for more detailed info, good luck

I already have it installed. I have been playing with the GUI for a few hours now. Looks like it will certainly do what I need. I will run it for a month and do some comparative data on it.

Thanks again man!

Well, this YAMon doesn't seem to work with the EA8500 worth a crap. It has collected about one forth the data of what DD-WRT says I used in the past 24 hrs. Also, I have to manually start it every time I reboot the router and sometimes it just plain stops on its own (probably explains why only one forth the data was logged). Oh well, at least I now know what I am looking for now, and will search for a different addon rather than this one. Hopefully I can just delete the /opt/YAMon directory to remove it.

Just for completeness, I am running DD-WRT v3.0-r33770M kongat (11/15/17)
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
lexridge wrote:
05dyna wrote:

Thanks again man!

Well, this YAMon doesn't seem to work with the EA8500 worth a crap. It has collected about one forth the data of what DD-WRT says I used in the past 24 hrs. Also, I have to manually start it every time I reboot the router and sometimes it just plain stops on its own (probably explains why only one forth the data was logged). Oh well, at least I now know what I am looking for now, and will search for a different addon rather than this one. Hopefully I can just delete the /opt/YAMon directory to remove it.

Why don't you try a recent build? The one you are using is almost 6 months old.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start JAmon in the Startup Script
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
lexridge wrote:

Why don't you try a recent build? The one you are using is almost 6 months old.

The most recent Kong build I can find is from February, so not that much newer. I will certainly try it however.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Start JAmon in the Startup Script

It is in the Startup. It's just failing to start. I will increase the delay from 10 seconds to 30 seconds and see if that makes any difference.

Other problems: The GUI runs through the startup config everytime I load the web page. The device names and owners reset back to default every login. Nothing seems to stick. It is like it must not have write privileges, but since I can write to /opt (as root), it should be able to.

Last edited by lexridge on Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:04; edited 1 time in total
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is from April 10 http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/ddwrt-Linksys-EA8500.bin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
This is from April 10 http://www.desipro.de/ddwrt/K3-AC-IPQ806X/Test/ddwrt-Linksys-EA8500.bin

Cool, I will grab it and install this evening. Thanks!
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:

I flashed the 4-10 build tonight. It will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
nickant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,
I received my PL2303HX-USB-to-TTL cable today.
So I was all set to flash my EA8500.
Initially I had to download the Windows drivers to get it looking good on Device Manager.
Set everything up to go on my spare Windows 7 64bit PC.
But - I'm stuck.
When I hit Enter within 1 second of powering up the connected EA8500, I get the "Hit any key to stop autoboot" message in Putty.
But whatever I type next, it counts 2..1..0 and begins to boot.
It doesn't stop and bring up the (IPQ)# prompt.
Tried various keys or Enter etc, no luck.
What am I doing wrong?

Linksys WRT3200ACM DD-WRT r55819 (spare Wired AP)
Netgear WNDR3700v4 DD-WRT r55779 (spare Gateway)
Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickant44/albums
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bad connection maybe? Touch your tx and rx wires together and type some characters. Do they show up in putty?

Navigation

Jump to: