New Build 4/20/18 - r35770

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mark1958 wrote:
I like that new Avatar 05dyna, I might be right there with ya real soon !!

Mark
Yep, finally drank the Asus Kool-Aid and made the switch. I could have lived with the 3200 slow wireless but in all honestly the switch was more to do with the demise of the recent dd-wrt builds. The new builds are dropping my MoCA devices and preventing ssh remote access so I’m just not seeing any future for the wrt3200 with dd-wrt. So yea, Mojo was right everything I was able to do in dd-wrt (stable builds) I could do in Merlin FW. At first look I thought Merlin was kind of a “barebones” FW but everything that dd-wrt offers is in there and works but I just needed to find it. I'll continue with dd-wrt on my EA8500 with BS's old for now but will probably upgrade to one of Kong's builds at some point.
Sponsor
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 15:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been running my AC86U's(3), with Rmerlin's firmware for about 2 months now. Best thing I ever did was trashing all my WRT's.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 15:15    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
Unable to upgrade to r35770. Router shows : DD-WRT v3.0-r35667 std (04/04/1Cool
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
I have been running my AC86U's(3), with Rmerlin's firmware for about 2 months now. Best thing I ever did was trashing all my WRT's.

Is the problem with the WRT router or with the firmware development?
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
lack of manufacture support to the 3rd party firmware developers.

the manufacture barely supports them self.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
nickant
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I almost managed to nab an Asus RT-AC68U for $35 last week, but the seller sold it to another buyer, thinking it was me!
My mood did improve a bit when I found out that Linksys put out new firmware for the WRT1900ACv1 - with a new wifi driver.
I've been running it as an AP for a week without dropouts/restarts. The only issue is that 5GHz is restricted to channel 36-48 and no 80GHz bandwidth.
I was going to flash my Linksys EA8500 with DD-WRT via cable, but if I open it up and find that I need to solder connectors then I'm going to leave it as an AP too.
I'm trialing VPN on my WNDR3700v4, but CPU limits mean I only get 8.5mbps vs 13mbps without VPN. (only ADSL2+ here)
Now looking to get a Netgear R7000 to put DD-WRT or Xwrt-Vortex on it and run it as the gateway with VPN.
Judging by both the Marvell and Atheros forums, April has not been a good month for BS DD-WRT releases...
Edit: Opened up the EA8500 - connectors there, so now awaiting cable to flash DD-WRT.

Linksys WRT3200ACM DD-WRT r55460 (spare Wired AP)
Netgear WNDR3700v4 DD-WRT r55460 (spare Gateway)
Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickant44/albums

Last edited by nickant on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:48; edited 1 time in total
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

I agree with the trashing of the WRT's. In my case the Netgear r8000 runs dd-wrt really well and the r8000p with OEM runs well. Not running the latest firmware on it as the forums say there are issues with it. Went to something that just works and wireless is faster. Got to like it. If I were doing over I might have gotten a r7800, but very happy with what I have.

I know we should not be talking like this on the WRT forum, but it is painful to watch/read about new folks having same issues I had months ago.

Need a sticky titled 'if you just bought a Linksys WRT router take it back'.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
Mark1958
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@ Myersw wrote: Need a sticky titled 'if you just bought a Linksys WRT router take it back

I think your right Bill, the bad thing is there are still a lot of 3200 acm’s out there on the shelf’s waiting for unknowing buyer to stumble along and purchase.

Last time I was at Sam’s Club they had 20+ units on the shelf and asking $200.00
And if you haven’t been on the forums you wouldn’t have a clue!

Router: LinksysWRT3200Acm{RIP}
Router: Linksys EA8500 kongat r35030m (Vpn)
Router: Netgear X4S kongat r35965M
Vpn: IpVanish
Unbrick your 3200acm with usb to ttl cable: https://tinyurl.com/y9azvrkg
tuttie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I must be *really* late to the party... I got a manufacturer refurbished WRT3200ACM V2 for $100 pretty recently, within 5 minutes of having the device DD-WRT was installed. For about 2 weeks now I've had it running and its been very smooth.
Was very disheartening reading the forums little over a week ago, sat there almost waiting for the router to crap itself, or to drop either 2.4 or 5ghz completely, but all I've gotten so far is stability...router uptime currently over a week, no intervention at all.
No complaints from any of the wireless clients either, have four or five devices that are "always on" and via WiFi, one being TV stream. Signal/noise levels are great, automatic switching between VHT80/HT40/etc working perfectly.
Genuinely like this router a lot so far

I guess the same trick from my previous device (DIR-825 B1) also applies to this one @ always select "AC/N Mixed" or "NG Mixed" depending on context, but never the "AC only" or "N only", for whatever weird crazy reason the latter guaranteed instability. Fixing it to be mixed and setting channel width to full (HT40 wide) has made these routers very stable.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: