new USB NAS working, now what?

anticant
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 20:09    Post subject: new USB NAS working, now what? Reply with quote
I finally successfully configured a 4TB WD Passport USB drive setup as a NAS. It wasn't too hard after I realized that I had to format it from linux (ext4). I tried formatting the drive to ext4 in windows but that did not work for me.

My question has to do with optware. I have an TP-Link Aetheros / MIPS CPU and that is why I have installed Entware.

I have been looking around at doing things like making syslogs write to my NAS. I still haven't figured out the best way to do this. The closest I have found is to kill syslogd and restart it with the log path on my NAS. This has been buggy for me so far. I think it would be better to just write to NAS?

As I was researching how to move syslogs to NAS and I found frater's Optware: https://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Optware%2C_the_Right_Way#Relocate_Syslog

It had some neat services such as "Relocate Syslog" but my Entware doesn't have this package listed (opkg list)

My question is: what is the cleanest way to go about moving the syslog?

In addition to that, I'm a little overwhelmed with all the packages that I do see. Can you give me any guidance on useful packages to try? The other frater services look interesting but I don't think I can get those either.

Thanks!
Sponsor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: