OpenVPN: 2 questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
kooper2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 22:07    Post subject: OpenVPN: 2 questions... Reply with quote
Hi all,

just configured OpenVPN-client on my AP/gateway. All is fine. DD-WRT is r35927, currently latest. Previously OpenVPN was established by the PC.

Just 2 issues, which I can't explain and I'd love to hear answers.

While the OpenVPN-connection is established to my VPN-provider, I can see that I do have the right external public IP (I'm on v4 only), e.g. with https://my-ip-is.com/. Also the bandwidth is normal, much lower than without VPN.

Now, I run a traceroute to that external public IP from a PC via the AP. I would expect that I only see internal IPs of the tunnel (TUN is selected as device, protocol UDP).

Problem: I do see IPs of my local internet-provider while traceroute crawls. First IP is the AP, last is the VPN-server, my public IP. What is the reason? Is it a layer thing?

The OpenVPN-connection is only shown as 'established' in Status/VPN when I use button 'Apply Settings' in Services/VPN. It is never established just after rebooting the AP. It does not matter whether 'Start type' is set to 'WAN up' or 'System' in Services/OpenVPN or how long I wait, I HAVE to click 'Apply Settings'.
Was it always like that? Is there a start-script to fix this?

Many thanks in advance. Apologies if these questions have been answered already... I did have a quick search on both topics.

1xBuffalo WHR-1166D (stock f/w)
1xASUS RT-AC87U
1xTP710
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
So just to confirm, that dd-wrt router is configured as a router (NOT a WAP), where its WAN is patched to a LAN port on the ISP's modem (or modem+router)?
kooper2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
So just to confirm, that dd-wrt router is configured as a router (NOT a WAP), where its WAN is patched to a LAN port on the ISP's modem (or modem+router)?

Wireless mode is AP; Setup/Advanced is set to Gateway; it is the DHCP server for my network and it is patched to my ISP's modem (DSL) with LAN on the WAN-port.

1xASUS RT-AC87U
1xTP710
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Normally when using the VPN and doing a trace from a PC I wouldn't expect to see your local ISP's ip(s). But I don't normally trace my public IP over that VPN either. When I tried it, the only hop that returned anything was the first, my router. All others timed out, suggesting the VPN provider is preventing it.

Anyway, very difficult to describe what you're seeing based solely on your current description. Without seeing the trace, knowing your ISP and VPN public IPs, etc., I just don't know how to interpret what you're seeing.

As far as the startup problem, I've seen this before. It seems to happen randomly on certain builds. I have no idea why. But to get around the problem, I threw together a small script a few weeks ago for someone else having the same problem, to force it to start.

https://pastebin.com/mqmmCpnc

Note, this script isn't particularly sophisticated. Just a quick and dirty solution. For example, it doesn't discriminate between an OpenVPN process that's running as an OpenVPN server vs. an OpenVPN client. So if you happen to also be running an OpenVPN server while running the OpenVPN client, the killall command will kill *both* processes!
kooper2013
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Woahh!

Thank you lots, eibgrad!
-For confirming that something is wrong when I see IPs
of ISP while traceroute to my public IP.

-For confirming start OpenVPN was an issue also in the past and for your script to force start OpenVPN. I'm only using the client.

I may be able to test your script tomorrow, will try traceroute again and supply a screenshot.

Thanks again!
Have a nice day... Cool

1xASUS RT-AC87U
1xTP710
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: