OpenVPN Server not connecting in bridge mode

dctec2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 14:25    Post subject: OpenVPN Server not connecting in bridge mode Reply with quote
I apologize if there's an existing thread out there for this but I couldn't seem to find one that quite covers my issue.

For some reason, I cannot connect to my dd-wrt server in bridge mode. I set it up using the [url=https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN_(the_easy_way)_v24%2B]"VPN (the easy way)"[/url] guide. It seems like it may be a firewall problem because I get "TLS Handshake Failed" on the client GUI.

Note that when I follow the guide to set it up in router mode, everything works perfectly fine so I know it's not a key or certificate issue.

The attached images show how I have everything configured. I've changed the IP address for obvious reasons. I am relatively new to this so it's probably a dumb problem with an easy fix.

Fun fact, I had this working once before then my router crashed and cleared all of its settings. I reflashed it and started over but I'm not certain if I matched everything correctly.

Please let me know if you need more information. Thank you for your help!
Sponsor
dctec2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately that didn't work either. I removed the firewall and startup scripts, changed the client config to "dev tap2" and it still doesn't seem to find the server.

Do you think something isn't opening the ports on the WAN side correctly?
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Enable "Advanced options" on the server and post a pic of the settings there.

Are you sure the certificates are in the right boxes on he server side and in the \OpenVPN\Config directory on the client side?

If you have recently updated to a a new DDWRT firmware you have to regenerate your certificates, older certificates are not valid anymore

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
dctec2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
The certs should be ok and everything is in the right folder. I was able to connect via Routing mode since the update and haven't changed anything. Nothing is showing on the status log other than the state and MAC address (see image) so a connectivity issues isn't unlikely. Current version is: DD-WRT v3.0-r35770 std (04/20/1Cool

I wouldn't put it past my ISP to start blocking ports on me but I doubt that's the case since it has worked in the past.
dctec2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your help so far. I'll be travelling this weekend so I might not get to mess with it until next week. I'll post an update.
dctec2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I thought I'd give everyone an update. I got pretty frustrated with this and walked away for a couple of weeks. I finally decided to mess with it again.

I turned on the DHCP Proxy and it connected flawlessly! I'm still not sure why this was an issue because when I used the bridge mode in the past, it ran without it on it's own DHCP without issue. Now the DHCP is managed by the router and the VPN client gets the IP address next in line rather than from its own set.

I'd be curious to know more about this but, I'm perfectly content with the way it's working now. Thank you for all of your suggestions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: