R7000 - Possible Hardware Failure?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
snovvblind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:01    Post subject: R7000 - Possible Hardware Failure? Reply with quote
All,

First post so I do apologize if I missed one of the forum rules. I read the peacock and, the stickies at the top of the forum.

The problem I'm having is with my R7000. For whatever the reason, which is driving me nuts by the way, the router seems to lock up. That's the best way for me to describe it. All wireless clients drop, all Ethernet clients show connected but, no internet. SSID still shows active. Attempts to login via the web interface or SSH fail, just unresponsive. The timing varies between drops.

A simple router reboot will fix the issue until it locks up again. After a reboot all clients connect like normal and, internet restores. I've checked the modem by logging into it and, the logs appear to be normal Cox cable chatter. The syslog on the router shows normal chatter with the exception of NTP squawking about not finding a pool server. Eventually it finds one and configures itself. I've monitored the temp of the router and it seems to be at a stable 56C which based off of other peoples experience seems to be the norm.

What I've tried is a reboot, which fixes the issue until the next time. I've also wiped the slate clean and, started from scratch thinking that it was a configuration error. No such luck. I've flashed the most current version of dd-wrt 5/16/18 and, the most known stable version. Both present the same results.

All of this leads me to believe that it's a hardware failure unless I'm blind to something not being a dd-wrt guru. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy another router if I don't have to. If you need additional information please feel free to let me know. I'm not fluent with linux so, I'm not sure which commands would be useful to post.

Thank you for taking time to read this exhaustive post! Very Happy
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
As a last resort, try a different power adapter but it sounds like it is dying.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
As a last resort, try a different power adapter but it sounds like it is dying.

Thank you for the tip. I hadn't thought about that to be honest. When I get home from work I'll try that out.

To be honest I believe that it's dying. It makes me sad. The router has had some awesome up-time with little to no maintenance needed.

I guess I'll let this thread ride to see if some combined knowledge can save this girl. If not, anyone have thoughts on a new router? To buy the same or, upgrade?
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Out of interest, is it overclocked?

I personally have mine overclocked to 1.2 GHz and its OK, but I found pushing it to 1.4 GHz would make it behave poorly and in a similar way to how you describe.

R7000 is solid for DD-WRT support with Kong builds, the R7800 is a small upgrade in terms of processing power, but depends on your needs. Purchasing the R7000 again wouldn't be the worst thing, but if you have the chance you might want to get something extra out of the whole situation.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
snovvblind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
James2k wrote:
Out of interest, is it overclocked?

I personally have mine overclocked to 1.2 GHz and its OK, but I found pushing it to 1.4 GHz would make it behave poorly and in a similar way to how you describe.

R7000 is solid for DD-WRT support with Kong builds, the R7800 is a small upgrade in terms of processing power, but depends on your needs. Purchasing the R7000 again wouldn't be the worst thing, but if you have the chance you might want to get something extra out of the whole situation.

It's a stock build. No overclocking or, anything fancy like VPN access. (yet)

Yeah, that's kinda my thing is that if I'm going to replace it, I kinda want to upgrade in terms of processing power since I want to delve more into dd-wrts features. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into the 7800.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd concur then that it is like hardware issue, unless you find the power supply is bad (it can happen).

Just to be aware the R7800 is Atheros and not Broadcom based. If your looking at using more of the DD-WRT features like OpenVPN and such, you definitely want a router with more processing power than the R7000 (1GHz dual core), particularly OpenVPN and speed being closely tied to CPU and clock speed. Its all dependant on requirements. In my opinion it does get ridiculous when routers are in the range of £400 - £500. Basically more than a month on the average mortgage!

R7800 has pretty solid DD-WRT support and has 1.7 GHz dual core. It is probably similarly priced as the R7000 once was in the early days at this point.

Main router:

Netgear R7000 overclocked to 1.2GHz - DD-WRT v3.0-r35965M kongac

IPv6 6in4 (HE.net), OpenVPN (with PBR and split tunnelling), Entware, dnsmasq with ipset

Easy ipset support for the R7000

VPN speed: Download: 77.96 Mbps Upload: 5.00 Mbps (AES-128-CBC HMAC-SHA1)

Yes you can get 50 Mbps+ with OpenVPN on a R7000 if you configure it properly!

Previous routers:

ASUS RT-N66U - The Dark Knight
WNR2000v3 - Bought on the cheap for someone else, neutered crap
WNR3500Lv1 - First venture into the DD-WRT world
snovvblind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
James2k wrote:
I'd concur then that it is like hardware issue, unless you find the power supply is bad (it can happen).

Just to be aware the R7800 is Atheros and not Broadcom based. If your looking at using more of the DD-WRT features like OpenVPN and such, you definitely want a router with more processing power than the R7000 (1GHz dual core), particularly OpenVPN and speed being closely tied to CPU and clock speed. Its all dependant on requirements. In my opinion it does get ridiculous when routers are in the range of £400 - £500. Basically more than a month on the average mortgage!

R7800 has pretty solid DD-WRT support and has 1.7 GHz dual core. It is probably similarly priced as the R7000 once was in the early days at this point.

Yeah I was looking at the chipset difference. It makes me a wee bit weary since I've had such good luck with Broadcom. I've found a few R7800's for around $120 which is less then what I paid for my R7000 when it first came out. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 14:59    Post subject: Re: R7000 - Possible Hardware Failure? Reply with quote
snovvblind wrote:
All,

First post so I do apologize if I missed one of the forum rules. I read the peacock and, the stickies at the top of the forum.

The problem I'm having is with my R7000. For whatever the reason, which is driving me nuts by the way, the router seems to lock up. That's the best way for me to describe it. All wireless clients drop, all Ethernet clients show connected but, no internet. SSID still shows active. Attempts to login via the web interface or SSH fail, just unresponsive. The timing varies between drops.

A simple router reboot will fix the issue until it locks up again. After a reboot all clients connect like normal and, internet restores. I've checked the modem by logging into it and, the logs appear to be normal Cox cable chatter. The syslog on the router shows normal chatter with the exception of NTP squawking about not finding a pool server. Eventually it finds one and configures itself. I've monitored the temp of the router and it seems to be at a stable 56C which based off of other peoples experience seems to be the norm.

What I've tried is a reboot, which fixes the issue until the next time. I've also wiped the slate clean and, started from scratch thinking that it was a configuration error. No such luck. I've flashed the most current version of dd-wrt 5/16/18 and, the most known stable version. Both present the same results.

All of this leads me to believe that it's a hardware failure unless I'm blind to something not being a dd-wrt guru. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to buy another router if I don't have to. If you need additional information please feel free to let me know. I'm not fluent with linux so, I'm not sure which commands would be useful to post.

Thank you for taking time to read this exhaustive post! 😀

Just want to share that I'm having the EXACT same issue as your. I've done everything recommended from wiping nvram, reinstalling firmware, wiping nvram again, setting everything up manually, etc.

My configuration is very basic, only a single network and 3 forwarded ports for a media server.

I keep having these issues though and it will sometimes happen 2-3 times in one day and sometimes will happen once every month. Annoying.

Only a power cycle will fix it.
snovvblind
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm sure it ended up being a hardware failure of sorts. It happens however, I got pretty good use out of it.

I ended up buying an R8500 off of fleabay for dirt cheap.

Sorry to hear your having the same issue; wish I had a fix for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not a hardware failure. Install stock Netgear firmware and everything will be fine. I had the same problem with dd-wrt.
deslatha
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 20:17    Post subject: Re: R7000 - Possible Hardware Failure? Reply with quote
snovvblind wrote:

Very Happy

1. hardware failure: bad nand or overheat cpu.
set log that report cpu temperature every second in system log. if it is ok then check on nand ic. but cfe of r7000 does not have option check bad nand like linksys router. only thing you can do is erase and clear mtd of brcmnand then erase nvram. after that reinstall firmware through usb port.
it look like cpu heat issues, open router then applied thermal silver paster. also check nand ic if cold soldering problem. after 3 years all thermal pad may nor work well if you run router at max power. like used usb port for hdd, too many user and overload, remember router can not used like server which hdd install. it is ok but wont last long. if you need hd as storage then use another router which turn wifi off.
router need to cut metal cross around and put thermal silver paster on cpu and put whole thermal pad (2"x2") for quick elimited heat. this methol can reduct up to 15 C throttle heater.

2. wireless problem; try to run only 1 band on 2.4ghz or 5ghz. set auto to minimum cpu over load.
for adapter used 12v bulb car internal to test, if light continue without flicker then it ok otherwise replace. also you may used wattage meter to check power used of router to see if short circuit in somewhere. used voltage meter to measure capacitor and conductor around cpu, it should be 1.0v. it look like ic dc-dc buck convert have problem(bad designer) to compare r6300v2 it used mp1584 ic which very stable on dc-dc buck convert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: