[SOLVED] Total and Buffer memory never update

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 16:26    Post subject: [SOLVED] Total and Buffer memory never update Reply with quote
I've tried searching for this issue but haven't been able to find any references to the Buffer handling with 54475 on my XR500. I have two of them...one as AP/AP the other as Station/AP. Both exhibit the same thing.

The AP/AP shows 44KiB for usage all the time. My Station/AP shows 0KiB for usage all the time. It never updates this memory value...ever. All the other values will change as time passes.

[EDIT] - OK...I just noticed...the Total Memory value never changes or updates either.

Broadcom units show a changing value (both R7000 units in Repeater Bridge/AP mode.) It appears to be either Kernel 6.X related or Atheros related only.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I couldn't find it reported in the Trac-Bugtracker either.

Let me know if this is a known issue.

redhawk

Last edited by redhawk0 on Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:56; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
GUI shows working fine on the EA8500
that is with r53562
It would NOT surprise me if k6.1.x broke that ....I dunno --- there is NO working k6.1.x build for the EA8500 Rolling Eyes
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
GUI shows working fine on the EA8500
that is with r53562
It would NOT surprise me if k6.1.x broke that ....I dunno --- there is NO working k6.1.x build for the EA8500 Rolling Eyes

I came from 53562 as well...and it never popped out at me as not working with that build...so something happened between 53562 and 54475.

Thanx...

redhawk
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK...its likely a K6.x thing...I get the same unresponsive Total/Buffer with 53939 build....different number for Total...but it never updates.

redhawk
gin-n-tonic
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 22:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
For what it is worth, on my XR500 (r54475) the Active memory updates about every 3 seconds which then changes the Used and Free amounts as expected. The Total, Buffers, Cached, and Inactive amounts are constant or change very slowly.

Interestingly, the memory amounts do not agree with those reported in htop.

Total: dd-wrt 473440 KiB (484 MB) versus htop 462 MB
Used: dd-wrt 229208 KiB (235 MB) versus htop 141 MB
Bufffers: dd-wrt 20848 KiB (21.3 MB) versus htop 20.4 MB
Cached: dd-wrt 47272 KiB (48.4 MB) versus htop 53.5 MB
uvz123a
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also do not know what those numbers represent.

Buffers + Cached + Active + Inactive should have 100% altogether (Used value), but they never do. Sometimes they together barely reaches 50%.

I also cannot imagine what Used memory exactly represents. I have two routers with the same amount of RAM and config, but used memory at the boot is (and stays there +- few %):
⦁ WRT3200ACM ~ 60% (high consumption???)
⦁ XR500 ~ 20%
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
uvz123a wrote:
....I have two routers with the same amount of RAM and config, but used memory at the boot is (and stays there +- few %):
⦁ WRT3200ACM ~ 60% (high consumption???)
⦁ XR500 ~ 20%

I do suffer of disbelieve those are the same... Laughing Laughing
both are made by different vendors(SoC) and use different...radio drivers... Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is a comparison of Tuesday to this morning. The router has been on 54475 for several days now. Total/Buffer are the only ones that don't change. I've streamed quite a few shows/movies over the past several days.

This seems to only be a cosmetic issue in the GUI...the router(s) run just fine without any issues.

redhawk
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK....OK...this appears to be a non-issue.

I just did a huge ftp transfer, knowing that it is memory intensive. All values change except the Total....but that shouldn't change. The Available memory is the Available memory after the firmware is loaded and running...it's a constant value. The rest of the values DO change depending on the function of the router being called for. ftp is a huge resource hog....so...it was a good indicator as to whether the memory display is working or not.

I'll close this thread after a day for comments (telling me what an idiot I am at times....hahaha)

redhawk
uvz123a
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
I just did a huge ftp transfer, knowing that it is memory intensive. All values change except the Total....

Still not logical those values... Cached + Inactive > 100%
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 15:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
uvz123a wrote:
redhawk0 wrote:
I just did a huge ftp transfer, knowing that it is memory intensive. All values change except the Total....

Still not logical those values... Cached + Inactive > 100%

Yeah...I'm not sure how the Active/Inactive/Cache/Buffers get calculated....but if you add the Totals for Free and Used together, you do get the Available memory total.

There may be some crossover between the Active+Cache and Inactive+Cache values. That's why the add up to more than the Used memory available.

I know BS has explain it...I'm sure I've read it in the past...I'll try to find his post.

[EDIT]
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4433#4433
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6551#6551

So basically what he's saying is that the Active+Cache and InActive+Cache is a snapshot in time that is calculated by the linux statistics. Each one could contain additional memory that "could" be used for processes/applications that may not be released yet in case that process needs to reuse the data. If memory is needed...it would free up that memory of the cache. That is why it adds up to more than the amount of Used memory. They are statistically usable memory spaces...at a given point in time....clear as mud huh?

redhawk

Navigation

Jump to: