Can't configure Vlans

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dredvard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 15:55    Post subject: Can't configure Vlans Reply with quote
I've been doing a lot of attempts to configure my Trendnet DRU 811. I wonder if someone can help me get a better grasp how to do this. I have DD-WRT v3.0-r55052 mini installed.

I've tried more complicated variants but I'm trying to simplify just to try to get this to work.

I have a main TPLINK modem/router and Dlink smart switch. I would like to have this ultimately set up to handle tagged traffic (differnet Vlans)

What I would ultimately like is Vlan 30 NIOT, Vlan 20 Trusted, and Vlan 10 Segregated.

Although I've view many links, I've been trying to follow this: Trunk-Port Link between Main-Router and Wireless-Access-Point (WAP) as it seems to be very recent.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=335568

My current issue is that although I have now created a br30 and Vland 30. When I plug a device into Port 3 connected to Vlan 30, I cannot ping my main router (I have not attempted to bridge wl0.1 to keep things simple) but I can view my router when I'm plugged into Port 4

What step do I need to do let me get access to my modem.

This is my current SWitch Config

ddw-rt config.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  82.7 KB
 Viewed:  878 Time(s)

ddw-rt config.png

Last edited by dredvard on Sun Feb 04, 2024 17:36; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're doing it wrong too.
The link clearly states that the trunk port must be tagged.
Every port that is a member of 2 or more VLANS must be tagged.

VLAN configuration via GUI - 2 CPU ports (R7800, EA8500 etc)

Routers
Marvell OCTEON TX2 - QHora-322 - OpenWrt 23.05.3 - Gateway
Qualcomm IPQ8065 - R7800 - DD-WRT - WAP
dredvard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had tried it both ways - with no impact. The original attempt was with the appropriate tagging (ie. trunk line). It is now reconfigured as a tagged trunk line - but still the same thing. I'll update the image to show my current configuration.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then you just have to configure your main router and switch correctly.
I don't know what you have configured there.

By the way, port 3 is now configured incorrectly

Once again, every port that is in multiple VLANs must be tagged.

Port3 is in VLAN1 and VLAN30 so it must be tagged.
and you can only connect devices to tagged ports that are also capable of VLAN tagging.

All VLANs must be tagged on the DLINK switch port that goes to the dd-wrt routers trunk port: VLAN1 VLAN10 VLAN30

And the VLANs must come from somewhere.
So your main router must have configured VLAN1 VLAN10 and VLAN30 and send them to the switch via trunk port.

Or what do I know ... how you have configured this.

It doesn't work because you don't listen, don't follow instructions and do pretty much everything wrong.

Routers
dredvard
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your time. I appreciate and value your insights. The reason that I posted here is that I have done > 5 resets and restarts to simplify the problem, trying to get this to work following the instructions - and tried many different iterations in between. As I have been getting frustrated I did make a mistake in what I posted for this iteration. The router/switch connection does work. I can communicate via the trunk line with the main router on vlan1.

Let me ask the question in a different way. I've disconnected it and am trying to get the dd-wrt router to work independently of the other switch as its own private network (localizing the issue to dd-wrt). Ultimately, I would like dd-wrt to act as my main router.

I cannot get devices on vlan 30 to be able to be able to pinged from devices on vlan 1 - or vice versa.

I have ran the following in the command to no avail.

Code:

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.2.3/24 -o $(get_wanface) -j MASQUERADE
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan1 -o vlan30 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i vlan30 -o vlan1 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i br30 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

Is there something obvious that I'm misunderstanding or overlooking? How can I troubleshoot this issue?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
These are very different configurations.
As far as I understand it, the first configuration was a WAP configuration.

A WAP is just an extension of the main router.
The VLANs and rules for the VLANs are configured on the main router!

This means that if you are connected to VLAN3 and cannot reach your main router, the fault lies on the switch or main router and not on the dd-wrt router - error in thinking!!!

If you no longer want to configure the dd-wrt router as a WAP but as the main router then see the sticky thread because both are described in the thread, even the network isolation!

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1294450#1294450

And I won't answer any more questions because you don't provide any sensible information.
You only provide fragments and ask others to guess the configuration and fix your mistakes.

and a counter question: why do you need vlans if you don't want them to be isolated?

if you don't want them to be isolated, then you don't need vlans.

Routers
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
A VLAN in itself is just an ethernet port which tags packets.

You need to create an interface to do something with this VLAN.

All created interfaces if properly setup can communicate by default which each other.

The interface has a setting called 'net isolation' which isolates the interface from br0 and the router but not from each other that you have to do manually.

The interface is setup on the Networking page, usually you first create a bridge, set this up with an IP address etc. and then assign the VLAN to this bridge.

When working with VLANs and bridges be extremely patient, after every step Save and Apply and wait at least a minute. If you proceed too fast the bridge index can become corrupt and you can start over.

P.S. I hope you corrected the VLAN settings shown in your screenshot regarding port 3

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: