install options when factory flash does not complete

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
tsawyer1001001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 0:20    Post subject: install options when factory flash does not complete Reply with quote
I'm trying to upgrade a netgear wndr4300 (v1) into dd-wrt. I logged into the router, pointed to the factory file to upgrade and it's been running for 20 mins so far. I'll let run for a while but it looks like it's stuck/hitting some type of failure.

if I have to pull the plug, is there any options to upgrade the box? I was really hoping to replace my old router which has been going down like a $2 @$##_@%!(#!_? worker. if I can't get the old one to limp along and this upgrade isn't working, I'll have to buy a router
Sponsor
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you take note of these instructions in the Installation wiki?

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

tsawyer1001001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanx for the response. I was actually using that point of reference but the link was dead. it did point out a detail I overlooked, I did need a specific version of the factory image. I went to this

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2014/02-04-2014-r23503/netgear-wndr4300/

and pulled the image file. now the question becomes is there a 'safe' way to reboot the box to start again?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
What link was dead? All of the previous "issues" with that Wiki were taken care of AFAIK.

You should be able to power cycle the router without issue. Worst case is recovery with TFTP or other methods linked in that Wiki.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
AFAIK all netgear routers can be put in recovery mode ready for tftp by powering on while pressing the reset button.

Also there is nmrpflash which has been tested on your router.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

tsawyer1001001
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
What link was dead? All of the previous "issues" with that Wiki were taken care of AFAIK.

when I click on

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2014/02-04-2014-r23503/netgear-wndr4300/wndr4300-factory.img

I get a 404 error. I called it a dead link. I'm not saying the information does not exist, I added the link I went to where I was able to successfully pull down the file.

You should be able to power cycle the router without issue. Worst case is recovery with TFTP or other methods linked in that Wiki.

just to update, you were correct on the power cycle. to make a long story short, it seemed like the update never actually went to the final screen/part but in fact had completed the process. I had to power cycle for another reason and when I went to 192.168.1.1, I saw the dd-wrt change pw screen. everything I wanted. I already update to the last build, now I have to compare configs before cutting over to it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: