Flashed 2 WRT54G v5 routers. Same MAC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
vashwood
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 23:02    Post subject: Flashed 2 WRT54G v5 routers. Same MAC? Reply with quote
I just flashed 2 WRT54G v5 routers w/ the RC7 Micro. I was going to use WDS, then I realized that they both had the same MAC address? I was following the directions above. Do I need to change one of them? And if so, how?
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 23:47    Post subject: Re: Flashed 2 WRT54G v5 routers. Same MAC? Reply with quote
vashwood wrote:
I just flashed 2 WRT54G v5 routers w/ the RC7 Micro. I was going to use WDS, then I realized that they both had the same MAC address? I was following the directions above. Do I need to change one of them? And if so, how?

Ah...you didn't follow the instructions for creating a custom vxworks_killer file.

There are 2 choices....revert them back to linksys...create customer vxworks_killer files and do the process again

or

Use the command line entry set it as a startup script to set the unit's MAC address.

Administration>>commands

nvram set et0macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
nvram commit

Run and Save Startup

This last method is not perminent...they will revert to the default if you ever hard reset the unit

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
hmmm..i thought i entered in my MAC address at the vxworktool gui and created a bin file. NOt sure why it didnt work.

So how do I revert back to linksys v5?

And how do I make sure I really create a custom MAC address?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
vashwood wrote:
hmmm..i thought i entered in my MAC address at the vxworktool gui and created a bin file. NOt sure why it didnt work.

So how do I revert back to linksys v5?

And how do I make sure I really create a custom MAC address?

In this set of install instructions...are also instructions for reversion.
http://www.bitsum.com/openwiking/owbase/ow.asp?WRT54G5%5FCFE

Regenerate your vxworks_killer file....or send me a PM with your MAC addresses from the sticker on the bottom of EACH router and I'll generate the 2 necessary files for your 2 routers.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Couldn't one just set the Wireless MAC under the MAC address clone? Wouldn't that be effective and be saved through reboots?

Navigation

Jump to: