WRT54GSv4: JTAG wholeflash is unsuccessful, no physical link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:19    Post subject: WRT54GSv4: JTAG wholeflash is unsuccessful, no physical link Reply with quote
A while back, the router had a bad flash via the web interface with what was, at the time, the latest v23 SP1 beta.

The router still worked, but had many web interface problems. When the next beta was released, I was able to "flash over" (or so I thought) this bad flash via the partially working (but very quirky) web interface.

The router never worked again after that. Power light constantly flashes, all 4 LAN LEDs are solid green.

So, it sat in my basement for a while. As I only had a Mac, JTAG was not an option.

I recently finished building a PC server - it is running Windows Server 2003. The H.D.M. v45 debrick utility works nicely, and I was able to make myself a short (6 or 7 inches) passive cable and flash a complete copy of DD-WRT v23 SP1 using -flash:wholeflash /noemw. I used the standard version, 3.3MB, so it took almost 2 hours to flash.

After the flash, however, nothing has changed.

The only difference I've noticed is that I know seem to have to add the /noreset switch as well if I want the JTAG utility to do anything.

A characteristic of the router is that when I plug in an ethernet cable to any port, the machine on the other end will not report that the cable is plugged into anything! This is quite disturbing.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should try (short of bridging pins on the flash chip - that's madness). I was able to find a report of a similar problem (no physical link with v4 routers) but it did not seem that anyone had any ideas on how to solve it.

TIA from a new poster...
Sponsor
wygamail
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you follow the steps outlined here?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Flash_Your_Version_5_WRT54G

Of course, you'll need to use the CFE for your v4 router, and should ping 192.168.1.1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I understand, that is just a shortcut alternative to flashing the whole flash, however it may be worth a try.

I do not have a CFE for my router, although I understand the skynet repair utility will make one. Alternatively, if someone kind would offer a WRT54GSv4 CFE, I would be grateful. I did not know enough beforehand to back it up - I did not even know what a CFE was, nor did I have the JTAG port soldered on - I've only done all this now that the router must be recovered :P

Unfortunately I am nowhere near being able to ping 192.168.1.1, as no device I connect to the router will report a physical link connected!

If I buy another of these routers, it sure won't be a Linksys...
wygamail
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll send you a cfe generated by the skynet app.
Send me a pm with your email address.

Like the v5 instructions, you just need a working CFE to get it back running.

Navigation

Jump to: