List of Active Clients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
KG6YLC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:45    Post subject: List of Active Clients Reply with quote
i have been looking around for an answer to this question but cant seem to find it on the forums.

when i check the list of active clients on my router i keep finding computers that are not showing their names and just have *'s instead.
(when i check the ip addresses they are indeed computers i have put on the network)

my question is this, how can i make each computer come up with it's name instead of having to remember their ip addresses?
Sponsor
thr33xx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go to your system properties, click under the computer name tab, then select the tab below that says "Change". Under computer name, put in whatever you want your computer name to be. Click OK, it may or may not ask you to restart. You should then see whatever name you gave the computer.
KG6YLC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ummm, already tried, no dice...
5 ACES
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
KG6YLC, here is what I did that solved the problem:
1: Log into your router
2: Click the "Services" Tab
3: When your in the "Services" Tab, look for the DHCP Server area. You will see a grey bar that has Static Leases, MAC Address, Host Name and IP Address.
4: Below that grey bar, you will then see two buttons that say, "Add" "Remove". Click the "Add" button.
5: Put your computers MAC address, the name you want to give your computer, and a static address of your choice. MAKE SURE THE ADDRESS YOU ENTER, DOES NOT FALL INTO THE DHCP ADDRESSES RANGE THAT YOUR ROUTER ASSIGNS, IF YOU HAVE DHCP ENABLED.
6: Do this for all the computers you would like to show up as names instead of the * you see in the active clients/DHCP clients area.
I had to do this because of the large number of people using our router. Giving your computers a static address helps you remember the IP addresses, if you have a lot of computers on your network. I really like it and I can remember the IP addresses now that they never change, plus the names show up on the router now.
Also, I have the box checked that says: "Use NVRAM for client lease DB". Checking that box allows the router to remember who has logged on the router and it keeps those names, MAC addresses and IP Addresses logged under the DHCP Clients area. I do this to see if any unauthroized people log into my router. I have caught a few people this way and now have there MAC addresses so I can block them from using our internet.

Pic 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  88.42 KB
 Viewed:  35629 Time(s)

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  83.67 KB
 Viewed:  35629 Time(s)

Pic 1.jpg

KG6YLC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
nice, ty for the tip, still have a bit of a problem though, i already have the computer assigned to a static ip from the windows box it self, because of this the router wont let me assign the ip through the router and thus i am not able to give the computer a name.

now i know the simple answer would be set the desktop to DHCP then on the router side set the ip address i want to use, i would rather not do that if i can avoid it however.
crashfly
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
KG6YLC wrote:
now i know the simple answer would be set the desktop to DHCP then on the router side set the ip address i want to use, i would rather not do that if i can avoid it however.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to avoid that?

I have most of my computers on the network set to receive a "static" IP address from DHCP (even my server) and have not had any problems. For the computers that *would* connect, I have restrictions set on those IP addresses by default. Using the router DHCP allows for complete control of the network.

Try Dropbox for syncing files - get 2.5gb online for free by signing up.

Read! Peacock thread
*PLEASE* upgrade PAST v24SP1 or no support.
KG6YLC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
well the reason is that i would like the ip addresses managed by the computers themselves, i want the wired connection to have static IPs, that i have assigned them from inside of windows, while the wireless devices use DHCP from the router.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
KG6YLC wrote:
well the reason is that i would like the ip addresses managed by the computers themselves, i want the wired connection to have static IPs, that i have assigned them from inside of windows, while the wireless devices use DHCP from the router.

Well the reason I want a million dollars is because I want a million dollars. Laughing Your reason is the same as your desire. Maybe if you had a reason like "I don't want public wlan clients to hijack dhcp on my network" then it would be more valid.

If there are security concerns involved then there are ways to use static dhcp on the lan without worrying about the wlan causing problems. The easiest way being to unbridge them.

If you have a look at dnsmasq's additional options you can find a way to set the host name but I'm not sure if it will affect the list of active clients.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: