QoS does nothing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
speedo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:37    Post subject: QoS does nothing? Reply with quote
Hi, I have a WRT54GS v4 Linksys router, and I flashed it to use the
dd-wrt.v23_sp1_mini firmware.

Everything seems to work fine except for Access Restrictions and QoS.

There's a computer connected through the ethernet port that runs p2p constantly (with the program eMule) and it completly slows down the rest of the internet!

Whether I put that ethernet port on bulk and the others on premium, go through and put specific services on "Premium" or "Bulk" nothing seems to change, and I get horrible latency with everything I do on the other computers.

I even tried adding my own service for emule, with the TCP&UDP port range of 4660 - 4712. It won't even let me add it to the services list on the QoS page. I also tried using Access Restrictions and "Catch all P2P Protocols," which seemed to change nothing. Using my custom emule service, which had the ports I knew were in use, blocked did nothing according to the logs!

I searched the wiki and forums for similar problems like this and have come up with nothing. My maximum ports and timeouts are set correctly for p2p according to the wiki, and my QoS settings are:

Uplink: 300kbs (512 is my max)
Downlink: 2200kpbs (3000 is my max)

I have tried both HTB and HFSC.

So as you can see these are even less than the 80% recommended on the wiki. I'm not sure what else to do Sad
Sponsor
DummyPLUG
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
reboot the router before add a new qos service, this works for me... dunno why
OPaul
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think Ethernet Port Priority works on that router, only ones with ADM chipsets.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you adjusted the TCP and UDP timeouts? If not, look in the wiki for "router slowdown" or just click the link in my sig.

Donater
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, the TCP timeout has nothing to do with QoS, but it does solve the entire P2P slowdown process.

I have the exact same sad problem as you, QoS on a LAN port does not work at all on my 2 routers (WRT and Buffalo). Setting up higher TCP and Active IP connexions will solve the problem. Smile

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
speedo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
ahhh thank you for your replies :)

After soo much testing I finally figured out that the ethernet port priority does nothing, and that my ISP is lying about my upload speed! It is half of what I'm paying for, so I adjusted my uplink to reflect that. Once I did that and made rules for the IP addresses instead of ethernet ports it works beautifully Smile
FrankDD-WRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
speedo wrote:
my ISP is lying about my upload speed! It is half of what I'm paying for, so I adjusted my uplink to reflect that.

Oh, I thought you decided to adjust the payment to your ISP instead!! Smile

WRT54G2 v24 sp1
WRT54G v5 v24 sp1
Weird WRT54G v1.0 not working
Linux openSUSE 10.3 KDE 64-bits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: