TX-Power Issues: says dbm but act like mW

mark-use_
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 19:23    Post subject: TX-Power Issues: says dbm but act like mW Reply with quote
Could it be possible that the so "dBm"-called value is actually a mW value?

Please don´t tell me what dBm, dbi, SNR, etc is, wouldn´t be anything new to me. Rolling Eyes

As I know that the device got 500mW TX-Power, logically I set the value in the WebFrontend to 27dbm.
I also have a Linksys wrt54gl on the same roof, and I got more power from that than from the EOC-5610, what absolutely didn´t make sense. I eaven couldn´t find the EOCs SSID using my iPhone in about 500m distance clear view.

After a while I thought fu** it and try putting 500 in that so called "TX-Power( dbm )" Textfield and...than I got good signal.

Sorry that I can´t tell the firmware now but I´ve bought those EOCs from the DD-WRT shop about 2month ago.
Anyway, will post that as soon I´m in range again ;)

EDIT:
Got a few more questions, as I haven´t found anything clear about those settings in the forum.

1. Regulatory Domain
Guess the final TX-power will be pushed down by this setting.
Is there a list which shows the restrictions for each country?

2. Antenna Gain
Am I right that this value also does push the interfaces TX-power down when set higher than 0?

3. Which is the best atm firmware to use with a EOC-5610?

EDIT: sorry, I made a mistake, it´s a 5610, not a 2610

Last edited by mark-use_ on Mon Dec 28, 2009 13:41; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:03    Post subject: Re: TX-Power Issues: says dbm but act like mW Reply with quote
mark-use_ wrote:
Could it be possible that the so "dBm"-called value is actually a mW value?

no, definitely not

and read for more info:

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi Sash,
first of all thank you for your quick reply.
The Guidelines I have read already as I steppt on lots of post including those links

I´m sorry, that I´m not really happy with the answer I got and ask you nicely to overthink your statement.

If there is any other hint I haven´t got, please tell me, but from my at the moment on knowledge I just see a funny behavior.

How can it come that I´m 500m( or less ) in clear view away( from an EOC-5610 ) and just got a -94 signal with 28dBm and about -79 with 500(dBm) ?
^^ Regulatory Domain set to USA && Antenna Gain set to 0.

Would be really nice to get an answer on them as those things really cost time.

I also read the specs and know now that only I think it was 23dBm are possible with 802.11g on 54Mbit/s.

So how can a setting of 500 make a better signal than setting 28?
^^ And again, that really happened, you don´t really wanna tell me I can´t read numbers ;)

EDIT: I made a mistakt, it´s a 5610 not 2610...
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
mark-use_ wrote:

I also read the specs and know now that only I think it was 23dBm are possible with 802.11g on 54Mbit/s.

So how can a setting of 500 make a better signal than setting 28?

it definitely cant
Quote:

^^ And again, that really happened, you don´t really wanna tell me I can´t read numbers ;)

EDIT: I made a mistakt, it´s a 5610 not 2610...

the 5610 has on 5dbi 2,4ghz ant...i bet thats the answer
for sure your wrt has more than a 5dbi antenna mounted

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haha, I don´t want to act like a hanging disc, but as I said it for sure makes a differense - I have checked that.

It´s really not the first wireless network I set up, I also have flashed dd-wrt on all the other Linksys WRT54GL O got...

So from earlier version I know a mW setting way lower on the wireless->adminstration page...

I will soon post the firmware version and will have a deeper look what´s going on there - out of root´s eyes.

Pain is that I can´t connect to it from home...

Cheers
Markus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I know this thread is a month old but its the first one that poped up in the search. Im having the same sort of issue.

With default settings "Diversity off, tx/rx antenna on primary txpower 28" I have to be with in 5M to get a wireless connection and I cant detect it over 10M.

If I entered txpower 500 like you tryed then it works like it was with stock firmware on my point to point connection 1KM can connection and see's 30mbit connection.

Also if I have "Diversity on, tx/rx on secondary and txpower of 28" then it works aswell like above.

But if I have "Diversity on, tx/rx on primary txpower of 28 or 500" I can pick it up on the point to point connection (1km) but it will only connect when Im with in 5M.

So im thinking maybe its a driver problem as theres no way my 2610 would output 500dbm.
Im using Trial - build 13064. Was just seeing if it would work before paying. Just going to do 2 hours of heavy transfere testing so hopefully Ill be buying before the days out.

&
Eoc-2610 R1.1.13 - DD-WRT Pro v24-sp2 13972 (02/23/10) pro.
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 15:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, just changed the option "Diversity" from disabled to enabled, saved, apply.

It really does a big difference on EOC-2610. Thanks for the trick.

Michel

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
ion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 17:39    Post subject: 2610 power Reply with quote
Hey,...I am using build 13525 on the eoc-2610 with an external antenna. It was doing "ok", but then switched to diversity enabled instead of disabled and connections doubled in strength.

This is all with the tx and rx antenna set to secondary.
This external antenna also checks out fine with other routers (not a connector,cable or antenna problem).
majinsoftware
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated to 13637 and have been doing some more testing, In client mode instead of AP.

How Iv been testing is in a field, I set up 2 APs, 1 running in my car about 130M in front of me, 1 in my mates car about 100M behind me, I had my laptop connected to EOC-2610 which is running off a battery.
I scanned 3 times to make sure results were the sameish.

To make it easier to read ill call the ap in front ap1 and the one behind ap2.

With Diversity on,

Antenna both on primary, scan showed Rssi -70 on ap1, ap2 undetectable. (flicking the external switch made no difference)

Antenna both on secondary, scan showed Rssi -49 on ap1, ap2 -85. (flicking the external switch made it same as above. Which leads me to believe that the first test disables the internal antennas or there's a problem with panel 1 on the internal antenna.)

antenna both on diversity, scan showed Rssi -32 on ap1, ap2 changed between undetectable and -85. (Will need to do some more testing with this setup)

With Diversity off, results were worse but followed the same patten.

Hardware version is 1.1.3,
And also something to note is there was alot of thermal glue or something all over the PCB which I cleaned up as it was blocking the signal lights on the back.

So it looks like the best setting is Diversity on with both antennas on secondary as it gives you the most coverage, or if your just after directional power both antennas on diversity. But this is in client mode and connecting was tested just signal strength, AP mode maybe different. Ill try again in AP mode when I have some friends with laptops to record results.

&
Eoc-2610 R1.1.13 - DD-WRT Pro v24-sp2 13972 (02/23/10) pro.
MichelG
DD-WRT Guru

Location: Galati - RO / Kishinev - MD / Geneva - CH / Tarragona - E

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, I have found that using channels over 10 with JAPAN as country, seems not to be working.

For any reason, it seems to be unable connecting starting with channel 11. It connects sometimes after a few minutes but very unstable, and a lot of packet loss.

PS: AP is a WHR-HP-G54 and CL is a EOC-2610

Anyone could confim ?

Thanks.

PS: also have a look on my other message regarding issues I have found.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65550

All Senao EOC-2610 V1.10 Std 15362 BS
1x UBNT Bullet 2 - RP 18dB Panel - 11Mbps - 13Km link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Senao Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: