alternative to earthlink dns page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Zachariah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 20:29    Post subject: alternative to earthlink dns page Reply with quote
Recently my cable company was bought by comcast. In an effort to avoid us earthlink customers from seeing the comcast "site not found" page, earthlink has put up their own page.

Here's an example, I don't know if you'll be able to see it or not:
http://earthlink-help.net/?d=error_earthlink-bf&q=asnldfiasdnfsadf

I would like my router to prevent me from seeing those pages. Is there any (easy, intermediate, or advanced) way to tell the dd-wrt linksys to route all unkown pages to a small html file on the router? & Instructions how to do it?

thanks

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would just block with the hosts file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC or block the site under the access restrictions tab
Zachariah
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
this page comes up for every page that doesn't have a DNS record on the Internet. There's no way to create a list for the Hosts file for something like this. Similarly, this cannot be done by blocking sites in the router.

This is about blocking the page that is served when trying to visit a domain that doesn't exist.

Usually (and before about 3 months ago), the browser just says the address cannot be found. But Earthlink has decided to start putting in a page to serve to the browser instead. I'd like to do what Earthlink is doing, except for my LAN.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
They have set up alternative DNS servers for those of us that HATED that feature.

Use them, but please also complain...

http://blogs.earthlink.net/2006/09/more_info_on_dead_domain_handl.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: