Convert from Talisman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
pdscmid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 21:40    Post subject: Convert from Talisman Reply with quote
And here is a another former Talisman user who paid for that firmware for a few years...
That my following message in the sveasoft forum got deleted, gave me the last bit of incentive that I needed to never go back there:
I don't know where this project went wrong, but going wrong it did. Talisman before 1.2 was ok, albeit it seemed to be a bit slow. Talisman 1.2 was just buggy.
That annoying PPTP crash and the complete freeze of the router if you had more than 7 or so GB of traffic in a certain timespan. 1.2 came out in August, and for some reason, those bugs didn't get addressed at all or not with the necessary priority. With crashes & freezes, I'd have expected a bug fix release within a few weeks (2-3) of 1.2. I would have expected that development efforts are concentrated right away on identifying and fixing bugs. But that didn't happen. And then came the supposedly stable 1.2.2 release in mid-November. I tried installing it twice in total, both times it bricked my router. After I got it working again, it seemed to not let me get on more than half of the Internet, which is the strangest behavior I have ever seen. I posted two rather pissed off rants about this (which should be understandable when my quick-half-hour firmware flash turns into a 4 hr ordeal at 4 am), but no one from sveasoft decided to reply. Rather, other posts made after mine seemed to be worthy a reply.
Maybe because I am not in that tester group, I don't matter? Maybe it's assumed that I am a dumb user who can't flash his router correctly?
Whatever the assumption, I have had enough of this. I have had enough of checking "development update" posts to see some ETAs that are never met, but slipped by weeks. I have had enough of reading that there are new features in the dev snapshots, but that new features are continuously being added instead of settling on a feature set and getting stability & quality right, and then working on the next feature set.
It's been fun while it lasted, but a quick Internet search today turned up a firmware that is free, has a larger feature set than Talisman 1.2 and, most importantly, is a lot more stable and of higher quality. I should also mention that the web interface is a lot more efficient to use than Talisman's. So I did my half-hour-firmware-flash today, and Talisman is gone from my router. PPTP disconnect doesn't crash the router, things feel faster and it even supports a PPTP connection from the router to a VPN server, a feature that Talisman doesn't have...

Patrick Schmid
Sponsor
stevech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
me too. The guy running Sveasoft is neurotic.

I switched many months ago. Never had ANY stability problems with DD-WRT.

Very pleased and grateful for the freeware.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
thank you. i hope you get not confused soon by people who are spreading bad mood about me any my project since i'm doing money with it beside the free firmware.
dont listen to them, its not all true whats written. some people are just jealous

Navigation

Jump to: