Reliability Problems since converting to DD-WRT. Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Major_Tom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:54    Post subject: Reliability Problems since converting to DD-WRT. Question Reply with quote
3 hours ago I switched my router (a WRT54G v.5) over to DD-WRT with the Generic Micro Kernel V.23 SP2 .

Since then, I've had several problems.

My network quits working for no reason (DNS goes down). Either rebooting the router, or logging in and renewing the DHCP address on the external network interface takes care of the problem.

Same thing happened to me about 4 months ago, and I had to replace the router because it got annoying. Same exact type of router but with the v.22 kernel.

I'm using all factory default settings.

What am I doing wrong to make it act like this?
Sponsor
magicman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
if you are using any p2p file sharing programs set the IP Filter Settings to 4096 connections and both timeouts at 90...... It's in the administration tab under management.

That's the main reason any router locks up

with those settings I run torrents and emule and who knows what else and it never locks up.

Magicman
Major_Tom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, no file sharing what so ever.

It just did it again 2 minutes ago.

DNS just completely stops working. I have to log in to the router, release and renew the DHCP address for it to start working again.

What gives?
magicman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure. One thing I had to do. I couldn't use a backup of the nvram from 23 rc 2 on the router. When I tried that it locked up. I then did the master reset on the bottom of the buffalo router and that restored defaults and I went and set everything up manually.

Mine works great.... Only small glitch today was I had a very high amount of P2P, newgroup downloads and voip running all at once..... the router rebooted itself. I didn't lose settings but the time up was set to 0 so I assume it rebooted. No power surge.....
Major_Tom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nothing seemed to fix the problem, and it got worse, requiring a reset every few minutes.

I went to walmart and bought a WRT54GS v. 6

I'm going to flash it tommorow.
magicman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
how much at walmart? I could always use an extra router.... I never step into walmart unless I'm desperate or it's an offer too good to refuse......
Major_Tom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
magicman wrote:
how much at walmart? I could always use an extra router.... I never step into walmart unless I'm desperate or it's an offer too good to refuse......

70$

Ordinarily I'd grab one off newegg, but I NEED a reliable internet connection. Mostly because I was at fault for it going down ,and my housemate was ready to kill me because he couldn't play Gears of War. haha.
wo-fo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gosh Major Tom... don't buy a single other one of those wrt's, as they are total junk...

Best Buy now carries the buffalo's in stock and the GS is $39.99 and the HP is $59.99, and you get a $10 gift card back...

For the extra ten dollars you ten times the router and wireless tange and performance, along with stability...

I hve tried everything I can think of to get those cheap V5's and V6's to work, and I ended up tossing them in the junk pile..

dd-wrt is not your problem here.. It is your hardware....

Take care,
wo-fo
Major_Tom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks.

However, I already purchased it. THe closest best buy is 100 miles from me. Actually...anything except walmart is 100 miles from me.

I live at the corner of Bumfuck and "you got a perty mouth".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: