Bind DNS-slave server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kilo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 17:39    Post subject: Bind DNS-slave server Reply with quote
Is it possible to use WRT54G as a DNS-slave server for a domain?
Sponsor
Shawn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Short Answer: Yes. I'm doing it

Longer Answer: I have a WRT54GS V2 w/ a 512 MB SD card. I run the Optware BIND 9 packages (among others). I don't know if the 54G has enough ram to run BIND and I don't think that swap to jffs or SD is what I would call an optimum solution. There may be other DNS servers that will do secondary service, but I haven't explored them as my primary servers all run BIND.

So, it is possible, but your mileage may vary.

As an aside, the WRT54GS V2 w/ an SD card makes a pretty nice low power server. I run an e-mail server, DNS server, Lighttpd web server, ntp server on it and it doesn't break out a sweat (but I don't run it as a router or access point 'tho, just a small low power server for a couple of low traffic domains that I have). The power consumption is pretty low with the radio disabled.

-Shawn
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, I did that yesterday.
I needed the DNS server of a Win2k3 SBS to be set by the DHCP on the router. So that would be the primary DNS, and forward other requests back to the router.

You need to add the do the folowing to DNSMasq options:
Code:
dhcp-option=6,x.x.x.x
Where x.x.x.x is the IP of your DNS server (the win2k3 server in my case).

After that, you need to enter the IP of the router into the DNS forward options of your DNS Server.

Donater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: