dhcp server used domain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dennispg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 22:23    Post subject: dhcp server used domain Reply with quote
i have a wierd issue which i dont understand.. its nothing serious really, because for my normal purposes everything works right.

heres my setup:
i have a WRT54G with v23 SP2 installed. under Administration > Services > DHCP Server, i have used domain set to "LAN & WLAN", and LAN domain set to my personal .com domain, ill just call p.com for now. no additional options there. i also have dnsmasq and local dns enabled with no additional options there.

heres my issue:
on my xp box, when i type "nslookup google.com" instead of looking up google.com, it looks up google.com.p.com. however every other application seems to do the lookup just fine? even ping google.com resolves it correctly. ive tried explicitly changing which server nslookup uses to other dns servers, and the problem remains. does anyone know whats going on with this?

i want things like machine1 to resolve to machine1.p.com automatically etc..

i have only tried with with windows xp....
Sponsor
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've set it up just like you with another domain name ofcourse, call it home.local for now
Ran nslookup:
Code:
C:\>nslookup google.com
Server:  WRT_CYBERDE.home.local
Address:  192.168.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    google.com
Addresses:  72.14.207.99, 64.233.167.99, 64.233.187.99

So it seems to be working for me, maybe it has something todo with the .com in your local domain name? Have you tried substituting .com by .local?

Donater

Last edited by cyberde on Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:20; edited 1 time in total
dennispg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
i think actually it does, ill try changing it to be sure. but the thing is my .com is an actually valid registered domain. i forgot to mention that its registered with godaddy and the domain uses their nameservers. so whats wierd is, any time i enter an invalid domain in my browser, such as google.comm, it will resolve to 68.178.232.99. which happens to be the same ip which nslookup resolves ANY domain i give it.

i have it to where home.p.com resolves to my WAN ip address (set up with godaddy).. but home is the name of a machine inside of my network as well, so i want home.p.com to resolve to the LAN ip when looked up inside my lan without resorting to exceptions or host files.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's your problem, that's why almost every system/network administrator chooses for .local

You should never use an existing domain name as a suffix for local computers, even win2k3 server adds .local behind the names (eg when in a domain).

This is a tough one, try changing to .local, that would solve the problems. Now you have some redundancy which is never good Smile

Donater
dennispg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
youre right when i dont use my .com and put something like home.local instead, nslookup does what its supposed to correctly. i still dont get why..

in xp, when i type in ipconfig my connection-specific suffix shows up as whatever i put in the LAN domain box. and under the Advanced TCP/IP settings / DNS tab in xp the default settings are all there as: Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes, and Append parent suffixed of the primary DNS suffix is checked. No dns suffix is specified there, and of course register connections address in DNS is also checked.

my best guess for whats going on is it tries everything i type with my LAN domain added on first, and then tries without? which sounds right, and what i would want... but then why does nslookup behave differently than every other application?
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does you router run a local DNS server ("Use DNSMasq for DNS"), maybe there lies the problem. I can't think of a specific reason ...

[edit]
What DNS server is used when you do a ipconfig /all?
If it is your routers' ip, then DNSMasq might cause this problem since nslookup queries that address.

Donater

Last edited by cyberde on Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:45; edited 1 time in total
dennispg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
so i just looked up definitions for fully qualified and unqualified domains..

my understand before was that home is unqualified and google.com is fully qualified. turns out i was wrong... anything which doesnt end in a "." is unqualified, e.g. google.com. is fully qualified.

when i try nslookup google.com. it works perfectly. but then i still dont understand why every other program i try, does not resolve the same way as nslookup. why does ping google.com correctly lookup google.com. instead of google.com.p.com like nslookup does.

not that this is a big problem for me or anything.. this is all simply for my education and understanding.
dennispg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
i do have dnsmasq enabled, which i want. i want to be able to type for example http://router inside my network and have it resolve to my router, or http://home.p.com and have it resolve to my webserver whether inside or outside my lan. all these things work as i want right now...

i was just curious on the exact details of the other little side effects, and why nslookup behaves differently.
cyberde
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
You made me curious too now, maybe some "networking expert" can explain this a little deeper.

Donater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: