DD-WRT micro with VPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
prdufresne
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 15:47    Post subject: DD-WRT micro with VPN Reply with quote
I haven't been able to find any reference to it here or in the wiki, but I was wondering if there was a DD-WRT micro build that supported VPN?

I'd be willing to give up other functions such as:

- HotSpot
- My Ad Networks
- QoS
- Bandwidth Monitoring

I'm sure there are others that were added into Micro+ that could also be removed to make room.

Is this possible?
Sponsor
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nope...not possible. Micro barely fits as it is and a V5 with micro doesn't support jffs to add it as optware either.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
That's too bad.

I was hoping room could be made my removing other non-essential features.

Could it be loaded from a NAS location, or is this as much a RAM issues as it is a flash issue?

ThanX
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
prdufresne wrote:
That's too bad.

I was hoping room could be made my removing other non-essential features.

Could it be loaded from a NAS location, or is this as much a RAM issues as it is a flash issue?

ThanX

The problem is there is no jffs support....jffs is where the NAS location would be called from.

You could put VPN on your v2.2 that you just fixed...otherwise, drop the $40-50 and get a better model for the V5 for this.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, ThanX.

I want to keep the v2.2 on hand to experiment with. I want to try getting Asterisk running on it.

EDIT: Scratch that. I now see that the v2.2 would not be able to run Asterisk without at least an SD mod.

I think I'll use the v2.2 for the VPN thing, and try to find myself a different router as my testing platform.

ThanX!
kieths
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Redhawk, I recognize your name, contributions to the community, and certainly your expertise - thank you!

I know this is an old thread, but for me, the vpn consideration happened .... just now.

I understand that vpn would cost more storage and likely more ram available. But do you know how much extra would be needed? I was hoping to pare away at a micro build extensively, removing everything but the very basics. I've got a few micro boxes (v5/6/Cool, and would rather use them for specialty vpn boxes even at the loss of practically every other special function (Access control, qos, etc)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: