EnGenius 9850

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
JDickiez
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
WTF! Cisco Linksys E4200 just came out not so long ago and it's on the Router Database. Why isn't ESR9850 on the Router Database?

I know it's Linksys, but first come first served. Right?

It's all ready has Tomato, WTF does it need a second third party software!!!?
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I dunno where you got the first come first served rule from, this is not a restaurant Wink

Eko is a voluntary developer for dd-wrt and he only does Broadcom chip based routers, E4200 is one of many such router that he has ported the dd-wrt firmware to.

I would have been very happy to see him take care of the Ralink based routers as well since it seems that Brainslayer doesn't have the time needed to work with them.

Eko has never asked for a router donation when not having time to work on it and his success rate on porting Broadcom devices is close to 100%.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
I dunno where you got the first come first served rule from, this is not a restaurant

Well experiences like these can only result in users not wanting to submit hardware samples and ultimately not supporting dd-wrt right?

Thread Bump
seti
DD-WRT User

Location: Physically: Somewhere in time and space / Mentally: As lost as the next person

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
The new Engenius' firmware has done wonders for the wireless on this joker.

As far as this router and DD-WRT go...well...I am convinced this router has gone the path that LOM laid out previously...into the pile with the countless other routers that were donated before making sure that there would be Devs available to work on it...thanks Sash! I do stand by those that have donated routers or collected to get a router to DD-WRT...that at the very least they should be notified of receipt of these items. No one wants to think that anything they send is lost or not received. You know and no one at all likes to think they wasted money on something...especially when some of us are having to cut corners anyhow. I personally don't think I have wasted anything as I did take something from this...make sure there are devs available and willing to work on a router before sending it or rallying the troops for donations. However, even that might not be enough, since we all know things come up that can out weight everything else and get moved to the front of the line. I don't think this was one of those situations though.

In the end...thanks Devs for the hard work...looking forward to many other good things. Even if this router isn't among them...which I still say would have been a good match.
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
The new Engenius' firmware has done wonders for the wireless on this joker.

For what I use both of my ESR-9850 routers for, the stock firmware works great.

DD-WRT would have been nice but not the end of world without it and I contributed to the unit that was sent in for development.
ApexProxy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would be quite thankful if DD-WRT was released for the 9850. If it were released I would definitely donate as DD-WRT would enable me to do a few things I really need assuming the gigabit switch worked that is.

They did get the router right?

Also, if it were to be made would serial be the only way to upload it?
jwbaynham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just sent Sash another PM to confirm if anybody ever even received a test unit for this router. I would encourage you all to do the same.
bsdaiwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwbaynham wrote:
I just sent Sash another PM to confirm if anybody ever even received a test unit for this router. I would encourage you all to do the same.

Did you receive an answer from Sash?
jwbaynham
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
No He never responded. I checked his recent posts to make sure he's still active on the site and he is. My best guess is that he's ignoring us. I doubt anyone even received a router.
bsdaiwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
They all act like our Congress.
tinytoes
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Borage wrote:
Maybe the router is Fucked Up Beyond Recognition. Smile

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/community/donations

Quote:

Please keep in mind that sending hardware is a one way ticket - in most cases we have to open the device an make some hardware modifications, sometimes the unit get's damaged.

I doubt it, the router is most likely collecting dust in a dark corner of the NewMedia-Net's office together with other routers that has been donated but not attended to.
It's not like this is the first time Sash is asking for and getting a community donated router without checking that someone has time to do the porting of dd-wrt.

If the user community is responsive to a donate request then the least you can ask for from a developer is that he is decent enough to acknowledge the receipt and intends to do a dd-wrt porting in the very near future.

I see a clear connection between the difficulty of getting a router donated and the way NewMedia-Net treats the people doing the donation..

i din really have good impression on sash either...

all he does is kept asking people to donate money to buy it..

i feel its better to donate the devices right to their door step and then donate money to the developers when it has been ported instead of blindly donating money to them and they may not even have time to purchase 1 unit of 9850 to port which the money was donated for this purpose.
Midas
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just to add that, as one of the donators, I am really disappointed with how things have played out with this router.

An old Chinese adage states that "if tricked once, it's the tricker's fault; but if tricked twice, the fault is one's own". So, as much as I appreciate what's being done at dd-wrt, this stunt placed it straight in my shitlist in all money related matters. I'd also advise anyone to be double cautious before sending any money or kit their way... Evil or Very Mad

So it's goodbye -- and thanks for all the fish.
seti
DD-WRT User

Location: Physically: Somewhere in time and space / Mentally: As lost as the next person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to agree Midas. My discouragement was rekindled when I saw how quickly a WNDR3400 was sent through the process...however eko was on the case and he is the man when it comes to new builds and seeing the donations through. I don't want to come off as belly aching about this whole fiasco we went through with this router, as it is what it is, but I think any of us that played a part in getting the hardware to DD-WRT would have preferred to hear that it just couldn't be done...making a build for the router. Rather than getting no status on receipt of both routers that were donated...nor any kind of update to anything being done with these routers. I can't see that I will ever stop using DD-WRT...it is a quality firmware and does what I need it to do. However, I cannot see myself falling for the "Put up or shut up" mantra either. We don't carry much weight with our disapproval of how this unfolded, nor with the resolve to not be involved. It is unfortunate, but as stated before...get commitments if you do donate...or at least get Brainslayer or Eko on your side Razz I have witnessed the great things each of these two can do when they get behind something. The biggest travesty in this is that a group of folks actually wanted to be involved, for our own selfish needs of course Razz, and ended up...well...discouraged by it all.
dalben
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have to agree guys. No more donations from me or anyone I can convince.

If it's low priority, tell us.
If it's not possible, tell us.

But don't push through the donation process, organise to get a box delivered and then don't bother to have enough common decency or courtesy to tell us a) it's arrived safely at the right destination and b)give us some sort of update.

This is starting to smell like a scam.
chateau
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
This is starting to smell like a scam

I do not think they are running a scam.

More likely Brainslayer either has no interest in developing the ESR-9850 or has other irons in the fire.

Sash was the one that asked for a donated router (as I recall) and not Brainslayer. Maybe he did not coordinate with Brainslayer before asking for a donation. Who knows.

Also the ESR-9850 has to be opened and a serial port interface installed to install DD-WRT. Not sure about all the other routers but isn't DD-WRT normally installed directly from either the web interface or TFTP without opening the case and installing a serial port interface.

I realize Brainslayer did a build for the ESR-9752 which also requires a serial port to be installed. That build has issues with the LEDs not working and has not been pursued to my knowledge.

Last edited by chateau on Sat Sep 10, 2011 23:50; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 15 of 17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Senao Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: