TP Link WR1043ND Slowdown (have tried many suggestions)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
paganister
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 17:15    Post subject: TP Link WR1043ND Slowdown (have tried many suggestions) Reply with quote
Hi all

Sorry if this is a repeat topic. I have tried many of the suggestions on the wiki for Router Slowdown:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown

And the Atheros recommended setup here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Atheros/ath_wireless_settings

The story is, I originally flashed the BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2 WR1043ND build 18767 from this site and all appeared fine for the first couple of hours. Then I would notice major slowdown across the whole network.

This is when I discovered the "router slowdown" section. I increased the maximum connections limit to 15000 and reduced the TCP timeout to 600 and UDP to 120 as suggested. We use torrents, so I limited uTorrent to a very small minimum of a max of 50 global connections and turned off DHT.

We have many devices in the house, from 3 Windows computers, a Mac, an Xbox, 3 iPads and my phone, sometimes will all be connected at once. All we do is browse the internet all day no torrenting at all until night time. But this was happening during the day too.

Basically, I would notice it recently while playing Diablo 3 - only with the Mac and iPads on I would get incredible latency spikes for a few minutes then they would dissapear. Speedtest.net results are usually 20000kps (20meg), but it was reduced to about 1500-2000 (1.5-2meg) every time. After a reboot it will be perfectly fine for a few hours then boom, same issue appears again.

Please note, the router response was VERY slow too during the slowdown. Thinking it was a RAM issue, I checked the available RAM and connections used. I always have a minimum of 35-40% RAM free and no more than 600-700 active connections.

I reflashed with the latest build 18777 with improvements - the wireless signal was stronger and no lag for several hours now. But I have just recently had to restart the router because the Mac could not load web pages anymore, and noticed the wireless signal was slightly less than before again. The signal is not of an issue to me (still within 50-70%), it seems to be machine dependent lag rather than the whole network?

Any suggestions to fix this? It's doing my head in how intermittent it is. My old WRT54G with stock firmware was much more reliable than this!

Thank you very much for your time to read.

Edit: Just started happening again. Reduced to 1 meg. Massive spikes in Diablo - forced to restart router and all is back to normal again. Speed test on all devices were this speed and RAM was 40% free. :-/
Sponsor
deadphill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have to say I experience almost the exact same issues here. Everything works fine and then I find my network speed slows down so badly its unusable. I have to cycle the power to get it going again.

Its made even worse as I have a virgin media superhub and its pants using it in router mode. I have my 1043nd in today at work to play and see if I can figure anything out!

Cheers

Phill
Defender666
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any news on this problem?
Tenny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had simliar issues... (see thread: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=156186 )

I just got another router today, ASUS RT-N66U, and I decided not to run DD-WRT on it as it has most of the features. Started running into the same exact problem as before. So right now I'm doing a bit of searching around and I notice that it seems to be a wide spread issue for those playing over WiFi.

Battle.net Thread: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4309701063?page=1

Anyways they suggest turning uPnP off, but I'm trying that now... but it'll be a while before I know if it fixed it...
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
It maybe interference coming from other neighboring wireless networks. Most times, when you are using a bad channel (one that overlaps/blocks other channels), these lag spikes will occur.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
erocks
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=90510&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This post above had the fix for me.
I've been experiencing the exact same thing and found the slow down was because of connections being dropped. you can check the logs under security. if disabling the firewall solves your problem then the linked thread may have a solution for you.

I found that the time the connections begin dropping correlated to the 5 minute wan lease time (sonic.net)
I've been pulling my hair out over this for a while now-- so glad it's fixed. hope it helps you.
Tenny
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
erocks wrote:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=90510&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I've been experiencing the exact same thing and found the slow down was because of connections being dropped. you can check the logs under security. if disabling the firewall solves your problem then the linked thread may have a solution for you.

I found that the time the connections begin dropping correlated to the 5 minute wan lease time (sonic.net)
I've been pulling my hair out over this for a while now-- so glad it's fixed. hope it helps you.

Don't think that is my issue sadly. I am not PPoE as I am on just a standard DHCP (Comcast). Plus while I may get disconnected my g/f is typically watching tv on Netflix or something. So it only seems to affect the wireless network. Sometimes it's been taking out the whole wireless network (disconnecting everyone on WiFi) while other times it just disconnects the computer playing Diablo 3.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tenny wrote:
erocks wrote:

Don't think that is my issue sadly. I am not PPoE as I am on just a standard DHCP (Comcast). Plus while I may get disconnected my g/f is typically watching tv on Netflix or something. So it only seems to affect the wireless network. Sometimes it's been taking out the whole wireless network (disconnecting everyone on WiFi) while other times it just disconnects the computer playing Diablo 3.

If possible, in status> wireless do a site survey and post a pic here of it, i'll see how close you are to interference and what channel you may be able to use to avoid it.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: