iptables Help!

fortmacjack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 17:14    Post subject: iptables Help! Reply with quote
Hi,

I have recently installed dd-wrt on my linksys router (successfully i might add Very Happy )

The version i am running is:
Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) micro
Router: Linksys WRT54Gv8 / GSv7 - operating in GAteway mode

IPtables are relatively new to me, i have done some tinkering with Cisco's in the past but am currently struggling.

What i am trying to accomplish:
I want to forward / redirect traffic on port 80 and 443 coming from an internal machine to an external proxy server. The true destination address must not be changed from the internal machine so that the Proxy Server can send and recieve the request on the clients behalf.

IS this possible to do - i believe it appears to be
Any help would be so appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
See the wiki for policy based routing.
fortmacjack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 16:59    Post subject: iptables Help! Reply with quote
Really,

Currently 46 people read the post and the only response i receive is to read a wiki? I read the 3 or so paragraphs on policy based routing and it does not meet the conditions i require. Additionally like i mentioned in my original post, i am new to both iptables and dd-wrt. I am reading; however the information available on IPtables is vast and am also uncertain if DD-WRT supports all the available features that iptables brings to the table.

I am very dissappointed in the lack of assistance and professionalism coming from this forum. I have read other posts with the same response - read, read, read.. People use forums to seek help from those who are already adept with the task at hand which also accelerates our learning curve. Furthermore if your experitise can manage to only conjure a comment such as "read" then why bother posting, unless some how your vast knowledge makes you feel superior to those of us who lack the same knowledge and or skillset. And sure you spent many hours and late nights reading, experimenting and deploying; But does this mean i need to already be an expert before i ask a question, because in that case i wouldn't need help would I?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 17:54    Post subject: Re: iptables Help! Reply with quote
Don't whine so much about professional help, since this forum is all done by volunteers. Besides, there are certain rules for getting help, i.e. stating what you tried to do till now, after reading the wiki, what error messages you get, and other stuff which makes people comprehend the problem you are having. "Teach me iptables" requires taking a whole course, it is not a question for a forum post.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

fortmacjack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 23:09    Post subject: iptables Help! Reply with quote
As stated the level of professionalism is poor. So the excuse for not providing any tangible assistance is because it is run by volunteers. So when you volunteer as a medic you should tell the patients to go look up their ailment in a medical dictionary. Please...lol..

As for the problem,. it is described and while im learning about Iptables, it would have been nice to draw on experienced users to provide a solution for my scenario.

If you consider the facts to be whining then maybe you should volunteer at Macdonalds.

This will be my last post.. Appreciate the help!
Vespian
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Last time I checked, dd-wrt was open source and free.. And unless you paid for your own flavor of it, you are not a paying customer.

Oh there is also this little bit about this forum being a community driven project _not_ moderated by the development team. Which if you would have some your due diligence in reading the plethora of information made available to you by the volunteers on this forum, you would know.

There is no professional support. Deal with it.

Current:
ASUS RT-N16 DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega(SVN revision 19519)Running OTRW - Take 2 on 8 GB Flash Disk. 128M swap + 7.5 GB ext2 on /opt
Past:
ASUS WL500GP v2 [DD-WRT v24-sp2 (06/17/09) mega-(SVN 12307M NEWD Eko)]

Registered Linux User #491768
booboss1982
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm afraid it might be not possible without messing on your proxy server. You can redirect to your proxy but it's not possible to NOT change destination IP. So in second move you have to make "backward" rule on your proxy server somehow.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want a complex solution handed to you then the best way to get it is to pay for it, otherwise you can research and learn. Port based policy routing is exactly what you described and while I did not explain this exactly on the wiki, it is explained by the sites linked at the end. An easier solution may be to just route everything to the proxy server and use it as your gateway router.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: