get wifi from cell, repeater bridge, but use dd-wrt dhcp

ludude29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19    Post subject: get wifi from cell, repeater bridge, but use dd-wrt dhcp Reply with quote
Ok so I need to get this setup:

Cell phone for internet. It has hotspot enabled.

Have two desktop computers a netbook and a wireless printer.

What I need is the computers and wireless printer to be able to connect to each other and the printer at any time but also connect the cell hotspot when internet access is needed.

Problem is I would have to have the cell on and connect all computers and printer to it to do any file sharing or printing.

I can get the router " with DD-WRT " to work in repeater bridge mode which picks up the cell wifi and distributes to everything but when I shut off the hotspot the trouble begins. So what I need is for some way for the router to pick up the wifi but use it's own DCHP to keep everything connected when the phone's not connected.

Right now the only way I see this happening is using two routers! one with dd-wrt in bridge repeater mode to pickup the wifi, and another with it's wan port plugged into the dd-wrt's LAN port. That way router two always has the computers and printers connected. Router ones function is basically to turn the wifi into a wired signal so I can connect it to another router and use it's dhcp.

Hopefully this makes since to someone besides me lol.
Sponsor
dun4cheap
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Enable your hotspot on your cell. I use foxfi with wpa security. Then go to your routers config page. Select the wireless tab an change it to client bridge. Save it the ho to wireless sevurity and set it to wpa and enter the password. Sve and apply. The hit the status button and go to the wifi tab and look for your hot spot. Select it and selevt connect. Once it is setup it should reconnect automatically. It did for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: