ASUS RT-N66U Rev 3.20 Possibly bricked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
BluescreenOfDeath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 20:46    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U Rev 3.20 Possibly bricked. Reply with quote
And I'm quickly realizing I have no clue what to do at this particular point in time.

I purchased this router and planned on using it as a wireless bridge to extend WiFi in a house I'm renting (running ethernet would probably be a better idea than just a wireless bridge, but my landlord wants to keep holes poked in walls to a minimum). I planned on flashing DD-WRT from the get go, as I've heard it enables much more functionality.

So I ordered the router and it showed up. I visited the DD-WRT page, went to supported routers, and downloaded the supported version from the router database page (v24 PreSP2 [Beta] Build: 18702).

I followed the instructions on the instillation page to do a factory reset, then push the mini firmware via the web GUI.

After reaching this stage, my router is unresponsive.

Ping requests are all returned timed out. When power cycling the router, it will send me a few "Destination Host Unreachable" replies, but nothing else.

No amount of holding the reset button or power cycling seems to help bring the router to talk to me. I'm on the verge of asking how many virgins to sacrifice TBH.

Now, in hindsight, the wiki tells me that it's best to only attempt to flash the recommended version displayed in the wiki for that particular router. However, I missed that on my first read through on how to flash which, I think, is the root of my problem.

Everything points to me having to Jtag the router, but it involved creating custom connectors and soldering things onto the router, which I'm not exactly keen on trying since it would be my first time ever doing anything of the sort, and I'm feeling like I'm overreaching myself if I try without some kind of guidance.

If nothing else, the router already seems to have a serial connection. But I still don't quite know how to proceed from here.

All this is happening on a pretty fresh Win7 install.

I'll provide any other needed information, just please try and help me avoid having to buy a replacement.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try setting a static ip on your computer and using the asus restoration utility to flash stock fw on it
BluescreenOfDeath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already set my computer to use 192.168.1.12 and whatnot, but the ASUS firmware flash tool can't find the router.

One of the other ASUS tools is a network discovery tool, and it can't find the router either.

When testing the router, I disconnect from my current network setup and plug my computer into the LAN1 port, so the router should be the only other connected device.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try powering on the router while pressing the wps button, the try to access 192.168.1.1 and see if the mini web server comes up.
BluescreenOfDeath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had been trying that with the recovery button, but not with the WPS button.

I'll try that right now.
BluescreenOfDeath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay, holding the WPS button while power-cycling made the power LED on the router flash rapidly, but it still wouldn't respond to ping requests to 192.168.1.1, nor HTTP requests from my browser (Firefox).
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power off the router, hold the wps button while powering it on. After 10 seconds let o of the wps and go to 192.168.1.1. That's. all I know. Sorry.
BluescreenOfDeath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, there's been a slight development.

Holding the WPS button when booting has made the router return one or two TTL=100 ping replies, but I can't seem to get tftp to send anything for the life of me. It only lasts for one ping response.

Further reading sais this can be a windows related problem, so I made a bootable ubuntu thumb drive and installed a tftp client. I see the router send the TTL=100 replies for a few more replies, but it's still not enough to send the factory firmware it seems, as the tftp client times out every time.

FWIW, here's what I'm doing: (with ping running the whole time)

#Pull power,
$ tftp -m binary
(to) 192.168.1.1
tftp> put
(file) restore.bin #factory firmware renamed from *.trx to restore.bin, also waiting to press enter.
#Press WPS button
#Plug in router
#Count to 10, release WPS button
ping: sendmsg: Network is unreachable
ping: sendmsg: Network is unreachable
64 bytes from 192.168.1.1: icmp_req=97 ttl=100 time=0.632 ms #as soon as I see this, I press [enter] in the tftp window
tftp: Transfer timed out

Any suggestions?
RMerlin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now that your settings are back to factory defaults (with the WPS button), force it to boot into recovery mode. Here is the procedure I usually use myself when recovering from a bad firmware.

1) Have computer near the router - it will be easier due to the order of operations.

2) Turn off the router. Unplug every cable from it except for one cable between computer and router.

3)Load the firmware recovery tool. Load the firmware you wish to flash, then click on Upload. It will start looking for your router.

4) Immediately press the Reset button on the router, and keep it pressed. Turn the router on.

5) Wait 5 seconds, then release the reset button.

During those last few steps, the Firmware Recovery tool should see the router appear in recovery mode, and immediately start uploading the firmware.

I usually do it this way to ensure I don't run out of time in case the router doesn't stay long enough in recovery mode.
BluescreenOfDeath
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
RMerlin wrote:
Now that your settings are back to factory defaults (with the WPS button), force it to boot into recovery mode. Here is the procedure I usually use myself when recovering from a bad firmware.

1) Have computer near the router - it will be easier due to the order of operations.

2) Turn off the router. Unplug every cable from it except for one cable between computer and router.

3)Load the firmware recovery tool. Load the firmware you wish to flash, then click on Upload. It will start looking for your router.

4) Immediately press the Reset button on the router, and keep it pressed. Turn the router on.

5) Wait 5 seconds, then release the reset button.

During those last few steps, the Firmware Recovery tool should see the router appear in recovery mode, and immediately start uploading the firmware.

I usually do it this way to ensure I don't run out of time in case the router doesn't stay long enough in recovery mode.

This method doesn't work for me, it seems.

Attempting to start the recovery tool while the modem is off gives the error "invalid connection" or something like that, so I can't have the program searching while the router starts up.

I tried having the router plugged in and on, starting the program, and rebooting the router, but it still doesn't get put in rescue mode it seems.

I'm to the point where I'm thinking JTAG or a serial connection is my only option. The router already has a 4pin serial connection soldered in, and I could probably handle soldering in a JTAG pin connection, but I don't know enough about electronics to build the JTAG cable.

Is there a reputable place that would sell USB JTAG and 4pin Serial cables? Google shows that they're able to be bought at least.
W1SS
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Before you jump onto the JTAG'ing wagon, can you confirm which of the 9 leds are lit after powering on the device (normal boot)?
socal87
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
JTAG is relatively uncomplicated as far as the hardware side of things with this router. You'd just have to solder pins to J2 on the board, and some of us have had success using a Tumpa to recover the router. However, it doesn't seem like you're there yet...

>>>PEACOCK THREAD!<<<

I do NOT offer personal assistance.
Please do not PM me for help.

toejam13
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 23:35    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-N66U Rev 3.20 Possibly bricked. Reply with quote
BluescreenOfDeath wrote:
No amount of holding the reset button or power cycling seems to help bring the router to talk to me.

I encountered similar issues. I attempted to flash dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U, but the router never came back.

I was having no luck getting my router to enter recovery mode. I'd hold the reset button down during a cold boot and would never see the slow flashing power LED.

I tried with my Win7 desktop (set to 192.168.1.10/24) connected to LAN port 1 and with nothing connected. No dice.

A few folks mentioned that they noticed Win7 failing to bind the static IP while it was in network discovery mode. So I pulled out an old XP laptop and tried again.

It worked. Router went into recovery mode and I was able to restore the stock firmware.
Kranitz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:38    Post subject: Re: ASUS RT-N66U Rev 3.20 Possibly bricked. Reply with quote
toejam13 wrote:
BluescreenOfDeath wrote:
No amount of holding the reset button or power cycling seems to help bring the router to talk to me.

I encountered similar issues. I attempted to flash dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U, but the router never came back.

I was having no luck getting my router to enter recovery mode. I'd hold the reset button down during a cold boot and would never see the slow flashing power LED.

I tried with my Win7 desktop (set to 192.168.1.10/24) connected to LAN port 1 and with nothing connected. No dice.

A few folks mentioned that they noticed Win7 failing to bind the static IP while it was in network discovery mode. So I pulled out an old XP laptop and tried again.

It worked. Router went into recovery mode and I was able to restore the stock firmware.

I pulled out a linux laptop, connected it and was able to access recovery mode!

One item to note: The process of getting the flashing recovery mode was somewhat unclear - i rebooted the device i don't know how many times to try to get the flashing light, but the time that it worked for me i only held the button down for close to ten seconds, then let it go. No longer. I may be mistaken, but I believe I let the reset button go once the power led went dark after powering up. Don't let that get you off track, however - even with the flashing LED indicating recovery mode was active, I could still not access it via win7 or win8.

Great post - lots of thanks!
kend18
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51    Post subject: ASUS RT-N66U Router came back to life after bricked it Reply with quote
ASUS RT-N66U Router came back to life after bricked it by loading the DD-WRT, dd-wrt.v24-18702_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U

1) Go to Asus web site and Download the Asus stock firmware, this is the file --> FW_RT_N66U_3004374257

2) Install Asus utility software that came with the CD-ROM or download it from the Asus web site, this is the file --> UT_RT_N66U_B1_4276

3) Set your Local LAN, NIC card to static > IP 192.168.1.12, Subnet 255.255.255.0, Default gateway192.168.1.1

4) Have a Windows XP computer near the router - it will be easier due to the order of operations.

5) Turn off the router. Unplug every cable from it except for one cable between computer and router.

6) Start the Asus firmware Restoration tool, Load the Asus stock firmware or the one you wish to flash, then click on Upload. It will start looking for your router.

7) Immediately press the WPS button, then power on the router, then press the Reset button on the router, then release WPS button and hold on to reset button for 7 sec

Cool Keep clicking on upload a few times, Wait 5 seconds, It should starts uploading the firmware, then release the reset button.

9) It takes about 10 - 15 mins to complete the flash for system recovery

10) Login to the router via I.E. or Firefox, default username and password is admin

Last edited by kend18 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:36; edited 1 time in total
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: