DD-WRT for R7000, which build to chose?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
alcareru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 22:37    Post subject: Hey thanks for the tip Reply with quote
I'll give it a go, if it would make things a bit more stable. Should I save it as a startup script or is it now set for good? What is this wl0_ampdu=off thingy anyway? What did I just do?
Sponsor
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Set it 1 time, it's commited to nvram.
Google it if you want to know about the command more.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
alcareru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06    Post subject: I managed to find some information Reply with quote
...here on the forums:
Quote:
Ampdu is a frame aggregation protocol contained in 802.11n spec.

This spec states communication can be done through aggregation via AMPDU or AMSDU. AMPDU has less overhead.

--http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=922277

That's good enough for me at this point Smile

Also Kong suggests on the very same thread that one ought to try this:
Code:
nvram set wl0_ampdu=off
nvram set wl1_ampdu=off
nvram commit
reboot

It's a bit more verbose set of commands and both radios are targeted. Is there later knowledge that suggests simply doing
Code:
wl0_ampdu=off
alone works just as well?
slidermike
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
al,
your re-asking the same question I just answered for you above.
Do not over complicate or over think it.
I already told you, set that 1 setting & commit it.

Its only the 2.4 radio that clients impact, causing the reboot. So you only need to set the wl0.
Kong made that suggestion before all the testing confirmed it only necessary to disable the setting on the 2.4 radio.

R7000 specific Tips/Tricks.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=264152
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slider correct me if I misspeak...

Mostly @alcareru

I think the bug in ampdu handling discussed HERE, was solved by the recently updated driver from broadcom.

First working & updated "Milestone Snapshot" BS build (including Kong's commits & has pre-compoiled history maintained on the Main SVN webspace) was R26138 (new driver & working etherenet)

ps. Just being on SVN main web repo <> "milestone", a lot of positive reports specific to the ARM devices appeared the new build thread, HERE

Kong Test Builds "Nightlies":
Of course all Kong's Personal Test Builds these days, with higher revision numbers, have also been "fixed". (Just no history maintained on his webspace since Oct 2014, what you download now is always the latest & may include new untested code/tweaks). If interested in running Kong's Test Builds THIS thread seems to be the rallying point for information sharing & bug reporting. Feel free to participate there if you are up to it.

Slider did a nice job of summarizing all the relevant links ^^up there^^ (maybe pg 1).

PS. sorry for "borrowing" some CyanogenMOD version/release terminology (in quotes above), comparing this open source project to others is how I wrap my peanut brain around it all.

**Also, perhaps I missed a valid reason for not wanting to upgrade to a build that has the new OEM wifi driver build**

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
alcareru
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:23    Post subject: Thanks for all the help Reply with quote
@slidermike thank's for confirming that. I have noticed my router is more stable now and uptime often reaches days rather than hours.
P.S. I don't see how I was asking the same question. Yes, I did previously ask you for clarification and you told me to Google it up and I did and found some information from an eminent source (Kong) that was possibly in contradiction with the information that you gave me. So, naturally I wanted to confirm that you were sure about your facts. Technically speaking it was a simple yes or no question (which my previous one most certainly wasn't), though your radio/testing explanation was very enlightening and reassuring. Thank you for that. And thank you for your patience! Smile

@jheide44 thanks's for all that info. Maybe I'll give that R26138 a go at some point since it should have both of the issues troubling me solved (VPN GRE routing as well as this Ampdu instability issue).
Aqualung
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 19:19    Post subject: Re: DD-WRT for R7000, which build to chose? Reply with quote
baardtk wrote:
I have been reading this forum, the peacock thread, the installation wiki and Kongs blog for the past hours, but this is very confusing for me.

Didn't read the rest of this thread, but I am guessing you'll be getting a lot of advice about reading more threads, and doing more searches. And when done with that, you should read some more. And do even more searches.

The sad reality about the state of dd-wrt documentation is that reading more threads and stickies ain't gonna help. It'll only get you more confused. You'll come across conflicting info every step of the way, so your only hope is to ask pointed questions in forums, cross your fingers, and hope to get answers other than "read this," and "do more reading." If somebody really wants to help you, they'll answer your concern, hence be prepared to ask primarily questions that require yes/no answers.

Now, I can't really say that this means that they are all evil. It's just that dd-wrt has become a humongous endeavor, and documentation, when exists, is so fluid that you'd be better off just going the trial and error path.

At any rate, I am guessing that many would appreciate it if, following your investigations, you updated your OP periodically with the best the answers you've been getting, and best solutions you've actually adopted, so that someone who reads your OP doesn't have to dig deeper and decipher every post in the thread. I, personally, am looking forward to that.

Many thanks!

Quote:
Any help would be very much appreciated, as I really would like to avoid bricking my brand new $300 router Smile

$300 for the R7000 in Feb. 2015? You've been had!
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: