Which drivers and kernel are in which build?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 20:57    Post subject: Which drivers and kernel are in which build? Reply with quote
I've been back and forth among builds trying to find a current functional and stable build for my f7d7301 (currently on 17967).

I wonder if there is a way to save me(us) time, and to know in advance --rather than lines inserted/removed or typos described in every changeset-- whether a given build includes a new kernel subversion/patch, and/or a new driver, or something relevant to the hardware, in order to allow me(us) narrow my(our) research in a few set of builds.

Does anybody knows how to tell?

jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 23:12    Post subject: Re: Which drivers and kernel are in which build? Reply with quote
feliciano wrote:
I've been back and forth among builds trying to find a current functional and stable build for my f7d7301 (currently on 17967).

I wonder if there is a way to save me(us) time, and to know in advance --rather than lines inserted/removed or typos described in every changeset-- whether a given build includes a new kernel subversion/patch, and/or a new driver, or something relevant to the hardware, in order to allow me(us) narrow my(our) research in a few set of builds.

Does anybody knows how to tell?

Wish there was a good/easy answer... But the only real changelog is the svn timeline http://svn.dd-wrt.com

Best bet is to keep an eye on new builds threads... Device specicic threads.... That is also not comprehensive...

hands on/trial and error seems like the best bet (specifically not the answer you wanted)

For popular devices like the r7000 there is a lot of "chatter" on the forums that sheds some light. But other devices (older/less popular) feels more hit and miss.

Generally speaking of course.

i.e. if I had your device I would share my hands on exp, but I dont

That said keep an eye out for chatter on devices that have the same chipsets as yours. while YMMV, you may glean insight on driver enhancements and such.

i.e. even though I have an R6300v2 the R7000 chatter is very helpful to keep up on... Both are BCM ARM CPUs

Also the closer you live to the bleeding edge with your hardware the more you have to read up/keep up on it. A device takes a while after initial support before you see rock solid build recommendations... The R7000 for example just got its new driver and stable WiFi (with no CLI workarounds) earlier just this month.

^^just observations from reading up on these types of forums since the early/mid 2000’s and sorting through it all during several device upgrades and WiFi implementations. (I reserve the right to misinterpret the world around me.)

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have doing that, but I wonder if there is a more efficient way to use my(our) time.

I mean: to use the svn timeline for track, say, 100 builds would be something like the attached images.

More than I changelog, I would like to read a "milestone" progress (which is empty in the svn).

svn-log.png
 Description:
If one want it at a glance, this is the best I've found.
 Filesize:  117.19 KB
 Viewed:  3401 Time(s)

svn-log.png

svn-timeline-diff.png
 Description:
To check build differences can be very akward.
 Filesize:  144.92 KB
 Viewed:  3401 Time(s)

svn-timeline-diff.png

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are right... It is all "nightlies"... No formal milestones called out these days (not formally)

The project casts such a wide net across supported devices, that it might be difficult to manage centrally...

I.e. ralink and/or atheros forum sections track some of this in the op of new builds threads (if I recall). But that is done by users.

I thought that was kind of a neat thing to see...

Even in BCM section there are several make files in play... You would likely have to attempt to track at that level.

Given the average dd-wrt user may not be aware of the make file that is used to compile their firmware... Tracking it meaningfully might be lost on the masses.

Plus it might be a lot of new admin overhead that few can really appereciate that ultimately slows the development process....

Assumptions:
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey feliciano,

FWIW, check out the new broadcom sticky
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=279467

Wink

jheide44 wrote:
I.e. ralink and/or atheros forum sections track some of this in the op of new builds threads (if I recall). But that is done by users.

now it is here too Smile

Assumptions:
HERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: