used wrt350n, weird setup or broken?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
maser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:56    Post subject: used wrt350n, weird setup or broken? Reply with quote
these are the observations

Led indicators are shifted over.
-cabled to 4, "internet" lights up
-cabled to 3, 4 lights up, 2 makes 3 light up, etc.

when cabled, it will get an dhcp IP but a 169.x.x.x, gateway is blank.

-power LED blinks steady.
-wifi logo is never lit
-port LED's are orange when connected.

-reset button does nothing at all for any duration of pressing.

-there is no SSID broadcast that i can see.

-------------------

Despite the above, the unit does work when all wired. With the WAN wired to a working online router, and a PC is wired to a port, the PC goes online.

I'd like to completely reinstall this thing and get rid of whatever setup it has but I don't know where to go from here. I can't find the admin page or anything, nor can I reset configs to defaults with the button. I don't know if the reset button is broken or disabled...it does click.

any ideas?
Sponsor
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:32    Post subject: Re: used wrt350n, weird setup or broken? Reply with quote
maser wrote:
these are the observations

Led indicators are shifted over.
-cabled to 4, "internet" lights up
-cabled to 3, 4 lights up, 2 makes 3 light up, etc.

-power LED blinks steady.
-wifi logo is never lit
-port LED's are orange when connected.

-reset button does nothing at all for any duration of pressing.

-there is no SSID broadcast that i can see.

-------------------

Despite the above, the unit does work when all wired. With the WAN wired to a working online router, and a PC is wired to a port, the PC goes online.

I'd like to completely reinstall this thing and get rid of whatever setup it has but I don't know where to go from here. I can't find the admin page or anything, nor can I reset configs to defaults with the button. I don't know if the reset button is broken or disabled...it does click.

any ideas?

looking at the plastic shell, does it look like it has any physical damage... like it fell off a shelf? or have any little plastic bits rattling around inside the case? (lights shifted, weird)

does wired pc get a DHCP ip from wrt350n when router's wan is not wired into your network?

if so are you able to get into the web GUI?
if default = http://192.168.1.1/
have you tried to access via the http://169.x.x.x/ "likely suspects"?
have you tried an "ip scanner" tool if you don't want to go at it manually.

if you do get in, check in the WEB GUI to see if the reset button was enabled or disabled? (administration tab, management sub tab... assuming it hasn't moved between our build revisions)

if you find the router's IP and can't web gui, can you telnet in (to try to erase NVRAM from CLI)?

if all else fails you may need serial.
see links & pics here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24118&view=next&sid=5801845dc1139769b9f3125bafe14210
if so, treat it like a brick see peacock thread notes 6 & ll

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
maser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
yeah. weird for sure with the LED's. ]

There's no damage to the outside at all, and the tamper sticker is still intact. Yeah, anything connected to a physical port will get an IP from this thing, that's where the 169. IPs come from.

I was unable to guess at the router's IP for web gui access. what i was hoping for was something i could jumper or points to short out inside taht would reset it, kinda the way most computer motherboard bios settings can be cleared. I suspect that even if i do find the routers ip with a scanner, it will need a user/pass for access so i'll need to reset it either way.

thanks for the link to the jtag info and pictures. It's actually a friend's 2nd-hand find so i don't want to spend too much time...just wanted a very fast and easy fix
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 23:59    Post subject: Re: used wrt350n, weird setup or broken? Reply with quote
maser wrote:

That ip will NOT work and if you think it has wan access that ip has to have changed. That is a default for no dhcp server on network. And if it does change you might then have the ip to find the router at.

Check power supply.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
maser
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm starting to think this thing is broken.

I can't find anything as far as other IP's when i'm passing through this router to go online. It's like the thing is acting as a simple switch or hub with no IP's on its interfaces. traceroute and nmaping shows no devices or interfaces other than the ones i already know.

The power supply seems fine, and appears to be the one that came with it, a heavy duty mid-wire brick style, with the right output and linksys logo.

Well, I think that's it for me. that's the most effort it's going to get out of me considering it was only $8. time for him to wait for something else to come along that already runs. Thanks for the help, guys. (or girls, but i doubt it. haha)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't let plastic win. Get a cable and fix it!
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
vw242
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have had similar issues when the WRT350N is "cold".
Plug in the router and give it 20 minutes to "warm up".
Then unplug/plugin while moving WAN input to one of the LAN inputs. If in minute, the router does not boot (all panel lights flash twice and the power and wireless are solid Smile repeat. I think this may be an internal regulator issue as 12v/2.5a has the most success and the router is stable if left on and radio disabled when not in use. Just do not let it get cold!
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
@maser and vw242

the WRT350N I just took out of service started acting the same exact same way! (took it out of service after being up for over a year on 14929 mega with no reboots.)

LED shift, but I don't get any IP... so not even a time to live ping response.

I read up a bit more and found this
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=750653

I think the power supply is good, cause I tested it in my other WRT350N unit.... but i still like barryware's advice/diagnosis, so I cracked her open to inspect the power conditioning cap... it is not bulging or leaking, but to test i'd have to remove it from the board (and i'm lazy, my meter/tools are all the way in the garage lol)... so i'll just order a few and heat up the iron once.

fwiw, it appears to be a 1000uf 16v 105C 10x13mm capacitor (image attached)

I'll keep you posted & let you know if replacing the cap is our fix for these symptoms.

Smile

WRT350N_CAP.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.08 KB
 Viewed:  4981 Time(s)

WRT350N_CAP.JPG

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
vw242
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 19:33    Post subject: no joy Reply with quote
I replaced the cap and sadly the same symptoms persist.
If left to warmup the router will start normally, but it must be hot.
If cooled later by air conditioning it will fail.

I guess it just likes to run hot.
So far the bottom of the router must be above
90 degrees F to remain stable.

So far I have erased:nvram with taio adapter and ztag and loaded 14929 build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: