WPA2 Enterprise issues in recent builds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
garyd9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 19:29    Post subject: WPA2 Enterprise issues in recent builds Reply with quote
I'm using a R7000, and decided to pop on to see if the r7000 restart issues were resolved since the middle of last year. The last build I've used successfully was a 24345 old driver from Kong. (Back when he was doing the "OLDD" builds.)

Last night and this morning, I've been trying to update to more current build (as it appears that the restart issues are gone), but now I'm having other issues.

I should mention that my method of updating the firmware includes taking screenshots of all the config screens, choosing the option "reset to default" settings when updating the firmware, AND to run "nvram erase" (and reboot) after the firmware is updated. I then, by hand, put back my settings.

I've gone back to builds from (both Kong and BS) Feb 26th (and also a build from BS from this morning) and I'm having a common issue on both of them: WPA2-Enterprise isn't working properly.

The configuration is a single AP (I normally use VAP's, but eliminated them for testing), and the security is configured as WPA2 Enterprise, AES, and points to my Windows 2008 server for PEAP/msCHAPv2. The radius configuration is accurate.

Here's the odd thing: Everything works fine for my two Nexus 7 (2013) devices running kitkat. However, it does NOT work for my Macbook Pro running snow leopard, another (older) Macbook (also running snow leopard), not for my Nexus 6 running lollipop, nor for my LG G3 (android) running KitKat. It's also not working from an Intel NUC machine (windows 7) with an embedded intel chipset wireless card.

When it does NOT work, it appears that the authentication request from the R7000 is never being forwarded to the Windows server. In other words, there are NO logs on the Windows server showing any type of authentication request, success or failure on the Windows machine (RADIUS server.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? It's odd that everything works with the older R7000 firmware, but fails on the newer.

Thanks
Gary
Sponsor
garyd9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some more information:

I've tried to test on ONLY 2.4GHz (eliminating 5Ghz) and have the same issues. So, the issue isn't tied to a specific band.

If I reconfigure the security to use WPA2-Personal AES (WPA2-AESPSK), everything works fine.
garyd9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Am I the only person having EAP issues (or the only one using PEAP at all?)
SirSilentBob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using WPA2/AES Enterprise, with the included freeradius server, on a R7000, with no issues. (Build 26424) What exactly isn't working? Can you enable "system log" in services tab and then use something like wallwatcher to save/display the log data? Freeradius will output entries showing freeradius errors, and successful logins.

Netgear R6700 (Un-opened with stock. My backup/emergency router if the R7000 takes a dump...)

2x Buffalo WHR-HP-GN 28493 (Used for 2.4 Ghz bridge when needed.)

Asus WL-500g Premium (1x v1 & 1x v2) (Still have, but retired for now.)

1x Linksys WRT54G v8 >>DD-WRT v24SP1 (The other routers needed something to point at and make fun of.)
garyd9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 14:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
SirSilentBob wrote:
I'm using WPA2/AES Enterprise, with the included freeradius server, on a R7000, with no issues.
Thank you for replying. I'm not using freeradius for RADIUS auth, but a Windows server on the network. I've enabled logging, and keep an eye on /var/log/messages, but there are no entries showing up related to clients attaching.

Being that I can't see any logs on the R7000, I'm not sure, exactly, what isn't working. When a client does authenticate to the RADIUS server, I can see log entries showing on the Windows machine showing the auth request and approval. When it doesn't work, I see nothing whatsoever on the Windows machine. It almost appears as if the client associates with the R7000, but something is preventing the auth request from being sent to the RADIUS server.

I'm taking a guess that the "nas" binary is the program that does the work on this in DD-WRT, but it seems to be very undocumented.

Is there a "extra logging" switch for 'nas'? Has 'nas' changed in DD-WRT since July of last year?

Thank you
Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: