RT-N66U - Unable to Connect to Default Gateway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Shlotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 13:40    Post subject: RT-N66U - Unable to Connect to Default Gateway Reply with quote
Today I decided to upgrade my firmware for the first time in a while, and I've run into a problem after doing so.
I'm unable to connect to the default gateway to access the DD-WRT firmware settings.
I'm able to connect to the internet fine through a LAN connection, but I cannot setup WLAN and the router is not broadcasting a network.

Using the ipconfig command, I can see that my Default Gateway is 69.253.184.1.

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::dcf8:fbe6:841d:f0da%10
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : X.X.X.X
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::201:5cff:fe31:ca41%10

Tunnel adapter isatap.hsd1.pa.comcast.net.:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:24ec:1bda:ba02:4750
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::24ec:1bda:ba02:4750%12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

However, trying to navigate to this address provides an error stating that the page does not exist. I can ping the address just fine, but nothing else. I've even tried telnet and I timeout.
The firmware version I downloaded and installed today is dd-wrt.v24-24461_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N66U.

I've searched for similar issues, but none of the limited solutions were any help. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by Shlotz on Sat Mar 28, 2015 0:54; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are definitely using your router as a bridge right now since that is your public IPv6 and IPv4 address (PLEASE REMOVE YOUR PUBLIC IP ADDRESSES SO WE DONT SEE IT FOR SECURITY REASONS).

Your IPv6 address should start with 2601: and your IPv4 address should start with 192.

Do you have the cable from modem to the WAN port? automatic configuration enabled in setup tab?
Cant remember if 24461 has the IPv6 tab or IPv6 was in administration tab at that version but make sure its enabled with DHCPv6.
Shlotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 0:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
You are definitely using your router as a bridge right now since that is your public IPv6 and IPv4 address (PLEASE REMOVE YOUR PUBLIC IP ADDRESSES SO WE DONT SEE IT FOR SECURITY REASONS).

Your IPv6 address should start with 2601: and your IPv4 address should start with 192.

Do you have the cable from modem to the WAN port? automatic configuration enabled in setup tab?
Cant remember if 24461 has the IPv6 tab or IPv6 was in administration tab at that version but make sure its enabled with DHCPv6.

Removed the public IP, not sure what I was thinking.

Ethernet cables are set up properly. Everything was working just fine before I decided to upgrade the firmware this morning.
I can't get into the router's firmware to change anything, so I cannot make sure it's enabled.
Shlotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've tried several different types of resets, and even left the power cable disconnected for a little over 8 hours. Nothing seems to have even made a dent in the issue.
MDA400 previously mentioned that the router was in bridge mode, but I don't know if there's a way to change that. Even so, I can't imagine that would be preventing me from accessing the web interface.

If it helps, I'm using Windows 7 on the local machine.

I bought this router almost a year ago and I'm not in the position to buy another. Especially when it seems to be functional.
Shlotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I may have found the issue, buried deep within the wiki page for this router specifically.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U#Upgrade_to_newer_DD-WRT
>svn24461 BRICKS RT-N66U. Recover possible through mini CFE webinterface.

Turns out that, despite this firmware version being the one version listed for the RT-N66U on the Router Database page, it causes a brick in the router. Understandably, I'm a bit upset.

The bullet point does state that it's possible to recover through "mini CFE webinterface". Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this? I really can't make much sense of the information I've found by searching.

mistake.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.56 KB
 Viewed:  6655 Time(s)

mistake.png

MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can see the cfe webinterface in browser when the router is booting or go into rescue mode and have the asus firmware upgrade utility. Read how to use rescue mode on asus's website.

I know that NVRAM is touchy on the rt-n66u so it may brick with certain firmwares. The cfe miniserver is what is available in rescue mode or before bootup As a way to unbrick of course.

Look to here for newer builds. The router database is rarely updated: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/
Shlotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I would need access to the web interface anyway, the thing I cannot access?
Guess the router is forever bricked then.

And the router can't enter rescue mode because the reset button is disabled by the DD-WRT firmware build by default.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should be able to use the cfe mini webserver or rescue mode as it happens before it even loads the router firmware.

You should see it by refreshing your browser a couple of times while it boots up or its possible your cfe could be corrupted (and that requires jtag or serial to fix) or other configurations are not correct such as ip addressing.

DD-wrt has the reset button enabled by default on all builds unless you disable it. But again, since the router has its own "boot-wait" like DD-wrt does (you cant disable it either at least on asus routers because the cfe server is there) rescue mode is accessed before the firmware even loads. You just hold reset for 15-30 seconds while plugging in power and should see the power LED blink.
Shlotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
MDA400 wrote:
You should be able to use the cfe mini webserver or rescue mode as it happens before it even loads the router firmware.

You should see it by refreshing your browser a couple of times while it boots up or its possible your cfe could be corrupted (and that requires jtag or serial to fix) or other configurations are not correct such as ip addressing.

DD-wrt has the reset button enabled by default on all builds unless you disable it. But again, since the router has its own "boot-wait" like DD-wrt does (you cant disable it either at least on asus routers because the cfe server is there) rescue mode is accessed before the firmware even loads. You just hold reset for 15-30 seconds while plugging in power and should see the power LED blink.

I had read somewhere that the reset button was disabled by default in DD-WRT on the RT-N66U, which I still believe was the case (at least for the older firmware I had flashed, seems to have been changed in the new version). Luckily I was able to use "rescue mode" by powering on while holding the WPS button, and then immediately switching to the reset button method while still in stand-by.
Doing this, I was able to use the ASUS Recovery Utility to flash the initial DD-WRT firmware, followed by the final, and finally the latest beta linked on the Wiki.

I'd like to apologize to you for coming off as impatient and uncooperative. If you hadn't lead me in the right direction, I would have spent another $130 and been without a proper routing solution for a few more days.
Thanks for the help.
MDA400
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't think you came off the slightest bit impatient or uncooperative.

Glad to see you got it working for the better and for letting me give you advice. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: