How to setup DHCP & DNS on AP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
mifronte
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 23:22    Post subject: How to setup DHCP & DNS on AP? Reply with quote
I am running an R7000 with stock firmware as my Internet gateway (no wireless), but I have an E3000 running DD-WRT as my wireless AP.

I would like to utilize DD-WRT on the E3000 as the primary DHCP and DNS server. So I disabled that functionality on the R7000 and enabled DHCP using DNSMasq on the DD-WRT network setup page.

01. On the E3000 AP, I point to the R7000 as the gateway, but what do I set for the Local DNS?

02. Do I need to specify a LAN domain in the Services Tab?

03. How does DNSMasq know my ISP assigned DNS servers?

For some reason, my android wireless client are not able to access the Internet, but my Windows wired and wireless clients have no problem.

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 kongac V3.0-r29620M (OC to 1200MHz) in AP mode with both radios off - running as NAS (SMB)
Sponsor
mifronte
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would this be a possible solution to run DNSMasq DHCP & DNS on my secondary router (acting as an wireless AP) instead of running it on my primary router?

01. Disable DHCP on primary router.

On Secondary Router:
02. Specify the Local DNS in Basic Network Setup to be the IP of the secondary router.
03. Check use DNSMasq DHCP & DNS.
04. Specify primary router (running stock Netgear) as Static DNS 1 to handle non-local DNS since primary router receives the ISP assigned DNS.
05. Specify a LAN Domain in Services tab.
06. Enable DNSMasq DHCP and DNS in Services->DNSMasq.

Also since the primary R7000 is running Netgear stock firmware with IPv6 enable, would I need to enable IPv6 on the secondary DD-WRT router, but leave Radvd disabled?

The reason I am doing this is I want to use the stock Netgear firmware on the primary R7000 router for the faster WAN/LAN throughput since I will be getting gigabyte fiber. However, I prefer using DD-WRT's DNSMasq to handle DHCP and local DNS.

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 kongac V3.0-r29620M (OC to 1200MHz) in AP mode with both radios off - running as NAS (SMB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: