Unbrick my heart - a TP-Link recovery method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
slimbig
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 20:49    Post subject: Unbrick my heart - a TP-Link recovery method Reply with quote
Hello bricked TP-Link owners

I noticed that many members come in asking for help with bricked routers so I wanted to share my previous research with you, I found out that the cheapest TP-Link TL-WR741ND has a recovery mechanism from faulty firmware built in, which probably means other TP-Link routers/AP's will have the same thing (and maybe other brands as well), here is how:

- Install a packet analyzer on your computer, Wireshark it is
- In Wireshark activate packet capture on the wired network interface and connect the bricked router to it (do not connect any other computers/devices to the router at this point)
- In a minute you will notice that the router is sending out a TFTP request for a certain IP address and file name
- Give the router what it's asking for, a TFTP server that has the stock firmware file (of course you will have to rename the file and set the IP address to what is the router is asking for then put it in the designated TFTP directory)

If you do not know how to install/use Wireshark or a TFTP server (Kiwi it is) Google is your friend

I tested this on a bricked TL-WR741ND and it worked perfectly, the router was revived, I hope it works for you

No credits go to me (although I thought about this idea before but did not find it logical) I found this some time ago on the web don't remember where

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: