Is Linksys ea6900 supported for ddwrt firmware?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I think mine is in that range. I've been getting my 30/5 that I pay for on the latest build.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
cansdan wrote:
Update... I think I'm bricked Sad EA6900 with supposed Asus CFE on it.

- When I first power up the router I can ping it (ttl=100 only)

- I can go to the router ip by web and see the Asus Mini Web screen

- If I try to upload a file from Asus mini web it completes 100% (DD-WRT or Asus FW), but then when it reboots to complete it no longer recognises my network name in "Network Connections" - just says unidentified.

- I can no longer ping the router at this point at all, unless I power down. Then I am able to start the whole process over.

- I cannot Tftp at all (it does start erase process sometimes) but I know that doesn't mean anything, then 50% through it starts over.

- I cannot Telnet at all

- Asus Firmware recovery uploads 100% then fails with error.

Anyone got any ideas or do I need to go shopping? Sad

Thanks!

It was on a 15 second power cycle automatically, so not up long enough to flash anything to it.

I was able to ping the router and keep it live long enough to TFTP the Linksys stock firmware bin to it from a second cmd prompt. Once booted, there was an issue with the firmware in a "please wait" status forever after initial login, but it kept the router alive long enough for me to push XVortex CFE into it with my macs.

Then I was able to TFTP the Merlin FW into it and all is working superb now! Now I need to go buy a paperweight as I no longer have one and there's paper blowing all over! Very Happy

Thanks for all the tips I received!
Feni85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I did some digging into the problem with identical mac-adresses for wl0 and wl1 in the EA6900 that leads to a massive spam of these messages:

Code:
br0: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

I have a EA6700 which has almost identical hardware but not the duplicate macaddr problem. As shown in the supported devices table, the EA6700 has a Broadcom BCM4360 + BCM4331 and the EA6900 has Broadcom BCM4360 x2, might this be the reason that the firmware cannot see the difference between the two radio's and fills it with identical macaddresses?

Also, when viewing the nvram contents I find the following entries:

Code:

0:macaddr:  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:C6
1:macaddr:  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:C7
wl0_hwaddr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:C7
wl1_hwaddr: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:C7

How are these fields filled from the CFE after a reset and what is the difference between 0:macaddr and wl0_hwaddr? And why is there a difference in the first two fields but not the second two?

I hope that someone with more knowledge than me can answer these questions and perhaps find a solution to the problem of having identical macaddresses.
joaoptc
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
And let me rephrase my post about this.
It doesn't matter what values you put on the bridge: the message returns ....
saphier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey all.. I flashed my new EA6900 with the latest build using telnet and mtd write (from r25697 to r26866 to get around the size restrictions on the default firmware).

I then noticed I had the MAC address bug, above, so I wanted to try using the default firmware and/or the ASUS CFE. However, it seems whatever I do I can't get rid of r26866... it boots back to that no matter what I seem to do (flash to stock, flash to ASUS firmware after CFE installation, erase nvram etc). I saw the ASUSTEk miniwebserver once, but was not able to see it again after a reboot.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of the latest build for either stock or the asus builds? I'm out of ideas!
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
saphier wrote:
Hey all.. I flashed my new EA6900 with the latest build using telnet and mtd write (from r25697 to r26866 to get around the size restrictions on the default firmware).

I then noticed I had the MAC address bug, above, so I wanted to try using the default firmware and/or the ASUS CFE. However, it seems whatever I do I can't get rid of r26866... it boots back to that no matter what I seem to do (flash to stock, flash to ASUS firmware after CFE installation, erase nvram etc). I saw the ASUSTEk miniwebserver once, but was not able to see it again after a reboot.

Anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of the latest build for either stock or the asus builds? I'm out of ideas!

Put it into recovery mode and try the Asus firmware restoration tool.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
saphier wrote:

Put it into recovery mode and try the Asus firmware restoration tool.

Recovery mode didn't work, it did not get recognized (even though the Linksys light flashed rapidly while I held the WPS button.)

However, the wifi MACs have changed/differentiated since I've installed the asus CFE to the values I put in 1:macaddr / 0:macaddr / et0macaddr, so I know the CFE took. So I guess no need to install ASUS firmware, hopefully the next build can just be installed via mtd write...
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was under the impression that flashing XVortex modified rt-ac68u cfe would circumvent the dual boot partition option from the ea6900 but every time I try to flash or upgrade from the gui, I get an error message, posted a few pages back, and then it boots to the previous partition without changing build.
This means I can only upgrade or flash using command line or the asus firmware restoration tool.
Can anyone help me with that or is it unfixable?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've used DD-WRT on about 10 different devices over many years.

I've been running 23720 (03/13/14) on my EA6900 for about a year, with no reboot issues (though I'll usually reboot it manually every few months). I've read everything Shocked in this thread, but some confusion is still there. I've checked my sw-version and it's definitely 1.0
I' cruising at 32.75/64 KB, but I have some speed issues. My 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have the same MAC, so I have to keep the 5Ghz disabled.

Am I best served going to a different CFE to get 1.1?

If so, should I do the Asus or XVortex? Or is there another option?

Or should I be running a newer firmware?

Also:
800MHz
CPU 75.8 C/ WL0 51.25 C

Thanks
saphier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
annatarlg wrote:
I've used DD-WRT on about 10 different devices over many years.

I've been running 23720 (03/13/14) on my EA6900 for about a year, with no reboot issues (though I'll usually reboot it manually every few months). I've read everything Shocked in this thread, but some confusion is still there. I've checked my sw-version and it's definitely 1.0
I' cruising at 32.75/64 KB, but I have some speed issues. My 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz have the same MAC, so I have to keep the 5Ghz disabled.

Am I best served going to a different CFE to get 1.1?

If so, should I do the Asus or XVortex? Or is there another option?

Or should I be running a newer firmware?

Also:
800MHz
CPU 75.8 C/ WL0 51.25 C

Thanks

Well, from my limited experimentation the only way to get two different MAC addresses for wl0 and wl1 is to install the custom CFE and specify the mac addresses. (I suppose if you used stock firmware, that could also work). So that's a tangible benefit for you, if you need the 5ghz network. And since you have an AC router, disabling the 5ghz network seems to defeat the purpose :p
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a recertified EA6900 and I'm now researching on putting dd-wrt on it. I've put DD-WRT on my olw WRT54g as well as a WRT400N and both were pretty straight forward.

Looking through this thread, things don't seem very clear.

Can someone do sanity check on the following statements (since I can't seem to find a clear wiki for the ea6900)?

1) The router can run Kong or BS builds (broadcom ARM specific) of DD-WRT. Is there a pre-flash step needed?
2) There is an NVRAM bug that causes an memory overflow (very bad). Solution is to disable traffic monitoring (is there another solution?) or somehow flash to Asus AC68U FW.
3) It's possible to turn this into a AC68U by changing the CFE (what the heck is CFE) and flashing to the asus 68u build of DD-WRT.

Is there anything else important I missed? Are the latest DD-WRT versions stable on the EA6900 or should I just avoid headache and return the router? Are there different HW revisions as well I should be looking out for?

Thanks!!!

Edit: Does anyone know of a wiki page for the EA6900?

And does anyone know how to tell if I have the Linksys CFE v1.0 or v1.1?

thanks,
saphier
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:
Hey Guys,

I just purchased a recertified EA6900 and I'm now researching on putting dd-wrt on it. I've put DD-WRT on my olw WRT54g as well as a WRT400N and both were pretty straight forward.

Looking through this thread, things don't seem very clear.

Can someone do sanity check on the following statements (since I can't seem to find a clear wiki for the ea6900)?

1) The router can run Kong or BS builds (broadcom ARM specific) of DD-WRT. Is there a pre-flash step needed?
2) There is an NVRAM bug that causes an memory overflow (very bad). Solution is to disable traffic monitoring (is there another solution?) or somehow flash to Asus AC68U FW.
3) It's possible to turn this into a AC68U by changing the CFE (what the heck is CFE) and flashing to the asus 68u build of DD-WRT.

Is there anything else important I missed? Are the latest DD-WRT versions stable on the EA6900 or should I just avoid headache and return the router? Are there different HW revisions as well I should be looking out for?

Thanks!!!

Edit: Does anyone know of a wiki page for the EA6900?

And does anyone know how to tell if I have the Linksys CFE v1.0 or v1.1?

thanks,

1) No, though some of the existing builds have sizes bigger than what the stock firmware allows, so you'll have to flash from an older dd-wrt to a newer one.

2) Some EA6900 appear to have no issues with the nvram bug, seems like a luck of the draw.

3) Yes possible

For CFE version: Install dd-wrt, then dump http://router_ip/backup/cfe.bin. Open that in a hex editor, and near the end you'll see a string that says swversion, which can tell you which version of the CFE you have.

Build 26866 has been pretty stable for me, 4~ish day up time and counting. No performance issues after I swapped out the CFE for the custom one posted by XVortex a few pages back, meaning my wifi mac addresses are different. I use another 6900 as a wireless bridge and get around 450mbps actual throughput measured doing so.
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
saphier wrote:

1) No, though some of the existing builds have sizes bigger than what the stock firmware allows, so you'll have to flash from an older dd-wrt to a newer one.

2) Some EA6900 appear to have no issues with the nvram bug, seems like a luck of the draw.

3) Yes possible

For CFE version: Install dd-wrt, then dump http://router_ip/backup/cfe.bin. Open that in a hex editor, and near the end you'll see a string that says swversion, which can tell you which version of the CFE you have.

Build 26866 has been pretty stable for me, 4~ish day up time and counting. No performance issues after I swapped out the CFE for the custom one posted by XVortex a few pages back, meaning my wifi mac addresses are different. I use another 6900 as a wireless bridge and get around 450mbps actual throughput measured doing so.

Thanks!! Just some follow-on questions...

1) do you know what build is "sufficiently" old enough to safely flash to before flashing to the latest and greatest?

2) is there a way to check if your ea6900 is susceptible or not by the nvram bug?

3) is there a way to save a copy of the stock ROM in case I mess something up?

TIA!
Feni85
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 13:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
mr_yellow wrote:
saphier wrote:

3) Yes possible

Thanks!! Just some follow-on questions...

1) do you know what build is "sufficiently" old enough to safely flash to before flashing to the latest and greatest?

2) is there a way to check if your ea6900 is susceptible or not by the nvram bug?

3) is there a way to save a copy of the stock ROM in case I mess something up?

TIA!

1) 23320 is the latest version
2) check on earlier pages in this topic, this has been discussed
3) you can download it from linksys.com, combined with your original cfe you can restore the router to stock
mr_yellow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

Thanks for all the help guys! I have a silly question as I contemplate installing the Asus CFE...

Can someone explain to me why there would be performance issues if my 2.4ghz and 5ghz radios are using the same MAC address? If it's set like this by default by manufacturer, there shouldn't be any problem right?

I just don't understand what the advantage would be to flash to the Asus CFE to get different MAC address for the two radios.

Thanks

Last edited by mr_yellow on Wed May 27, 2015 2:20; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 59, 60, 61  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 48 of 61
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: