Options for ASUS RT-N66U Antennas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
eclorian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 23:02    Post subject: Options for ASUS RT-N66U Antennas Reply with quote
I apologize if any of this sounds newb. I have experience setting up several routers with DD-WRT, but sometimes I am unclear on what my limitations are.

I recently flashed DD-WRT to my RT-N66U. I am using it as a wireless repeater because it is for an apartment that I stay in, but I'm only there a few days at a time. Because of this, I just use the internet connection of the house in front of the apartment that belongs to my uncle.

I was able to setup the repeater options easily, which I have done many times before, but this is the first time I have done it with a router that supports 5Ghz. The router I am repeating from is only 2.4Ghz. So my question is this: Are there any options to use the antennas, or bandwidth that is not being used by the 5Ghz band. Or is this something in the hardware and not possible to change using firmware? I'm just trying to get the best performance I can out of the router when using it as a repeater. I kind of feel like I've lost some performance in Repeater mode compared to the stock firmware, so I'm trying to figure out if I should just reflash the stock firmware. Question

Thanks for any suggestions!
Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have wondered a similar question to this, when I was using an old WRT54GS v6 as a wireless client bridge (WCB)...not enough yet to try it (no spare dual radio router at the time) and/or even think about the configuration. But specifically, can you setup the 2.4GHz radio as a WCB, but have the 5GHz radio as an AP, and not speed-limited like wireless repeater modes?

I would think this scenario (including the alternative where the 5GHz radio is used for the WCB, and 2.4GHZ as AP) would be very popular. Smile Unless this is already the default operation...then nm Razz

eclorian, I think the thread title should be something like 'Options for dual radio routers and bridging/repeating modes'
eclorian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 19:24    Post subject: Options for dual radio routers and bridging/repeating modes Reply with quote
That actually sounds like a good title, wish I could change it now, or knew if it was possible, lol.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think if you click Edit on the opening post, then change its subject, that will change the thread title.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
It appears this is easily possible; just set one band as client bridge (ref: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged) and the other band as AP.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=277563
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=267665

I'll have to try this out with my WNDR4000 now that I got a WNDR4500v2 refurb. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: