Which router to choose? (or repair WRT54GL?)

circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 22:55    Post subject: Which router to choose? (or repair WRT54GL?) Reply with quote
Hello,
i used a WRT54GL as a repeater, but sadly it broke.
It makes a loud noise and when its on, every client has an average ping of 200, after i turned it off its a stable 20 ping.
After some research i found some models which are easy to get and affordable:
Netgear WNDR3700
Linksys e1200
Asus rt-n16
I can get one of these for around 30$ (e1200 abit cheaper).
But i dont have a good knowledge on router, so it would be nice if someone could help me which i should choose.
Could be an other model aswell, just under 50$. I will use it mostly as a repeater. Planning on getting 2 and upgrade the primary router aswell.
Sponsor
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
First check the WRT54GL`s power supply. It can be the simplest, quickest and cheapest (or maybe free) solution till you upgrade
[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
h8red wrote:
First check the WRT54GL`s power supply. It can be the simplest, quickest and cheapest (or maybe free) solution till you upgrade

How can i check it? OR where can i get a replacement for it?
h8red
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can buy universal one at any electronics store for couple of euros. Watch that it supports volts/amps of your original one and has right connector

I don`t guarantee it will help. Note it.

[Ramips] Nexx WT3020F Openwrt @kernel #4.14.167 (OpenVPN server, Wireguard server, AD blocking, SQM QOS, USB)
Shryp
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could always try switching power supplies with one of your other devices or a neighbor if they are compatible.
circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Okay i could grab one, but sadly no noticable difference. I guess, a new device is the choice.
circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Someone mind recommend me, which router to buy from these ones i mentioned above?
Im not experienced with routers and their differences/features.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get the rtn16.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
CAn i exchange one of the 3 antennas from the rt n16 with a directional antenna for better signal to the main router? I mean is it better to keep the 3 antennas/Does the directional antenna disturb instead of improving the signal?
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Start with stock antennas. They are external and not bad.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
donphillipe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
It would be helpful if someone who knew modern hardware design could elaborate on how the electronic antenna switch operated in various if not generically all multi-antenna devices. When these multi antenna routers first came out they were not too intelligent. I am not sure if there has been any improvement with their design of late, but perhaps someone could elaborate.

The initial routers with multiple antennas would lock onto a single antenna that was producing a strong signal from portable device A and because of this good signal, the router would not switch to antenna B even it it meant receiving a signal from portable device B that would be stronger on the different antenna.

In other words once the router internal antenna auto-switcher latched onto a strong signal with one antenna, it would not switch to another antenna that might be able to receive another weaker signal better, due to the strong device signal it had originally locked onto (assuming that multiple devices are operating all at once, one weaker and one stronger but simultaneously).

In brief I don't think the antenna switching of these devices is always beneficial in that they are not flexible or dynamic enough or fast enough that they can switch while multiplexing between individual receivers if they are all trying to communicate at once. There may have been advancements in this since the last time I tested this, which was a few years ago but I can't say.

When I was testing I had different antenna ports going different dish antennas and the switching was really worthless with the 4 year or so old ASUS technology I was experimenting with. Once the router settled on a signal from one antenna, as long as that signal stayed strong, it would not switch to antenna B to pick up a simultaneous signal that would have been stronger via the other antenna.

So what I am saying here is the multiple antenna setup of a router may not be all it claims to be. You can often be better off going into the firmware, shutting off all but 1 antenna and attaching a better and/or directional if appropriate antenna on the single enabled antenna port, or minimally putting a home made "freeantennas.com" hand made reflector behind the single antenna you have activated, pointing the parabolic reflector you add behind the antenna in the direction of the pool of receivers it is to service.

In the case of assigning operation to only one antenna port via the firmware, and when the plan is to include an external antenna, use the shortest length cable and lowest loss coax you can physically handle, hopefully under 3' and run coax LMR200 or better LMR400UF if you can handle 1/2" thick cable. Always better to mount the router right next to any antenna you use, both in the instance of a rubber duckie omni that screws right on the antenna port or large parabolic dish. In the case of antenna mounting outdoors, use a water proof container where necessary for the router and extend the LAN cable - NOT the antenna cable). Run LAN cable to the router and power wire or POE to the device and make the antenna coax the shortest you can possibly make it when planning on an external antenna.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
The technology is called MIMO and there is a ton of documentation on it if you search for it. Quick version...MIMO is engineered which is why it is normally not ideal to replace an antenna in an engineered system. You cannot get n speed from a single Antenna, last time I looked.
circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I live in 2 houses connected (Me in one, and my parents in the other). The main router is in my parents house and is ~20m away and one big wall followed by 2 thin walls between it and my computer. Because im getting huge package loss (around 30-50%) which causes in DCs and high pings i got myself a WRT54GL with DD-WRT as a repeater. Now there is only the big wall and 10m distance. Still getting package loss and high ping. The only additionally device which is connected to either of the 2 router is a smartphone sometimes, and only for browsing.
The repeater gets a signal -50~60 to the router and a little bit better to my computer.
So thats why i thought about a directional antenna to connect the 2 router. (Guess the big wall causing the issue)
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Put the routers in facing windows. Directional antennas don't work like laser beams through obstructions. Micro waves cannot penetrate and directional does not give them that ability. A greater distance with less obstructions is better than a shorter distance through impossible. But 50-60 is a good signal, and should be more than enough.

If it isn't, Reposition or run a cable.

circlepit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thats true, i kinda know how the signal works. But there are many other networks (about 6-Cool which may disturb my packages transmitting?
The microwave is not in the way. Im on channel 11, sharing it to only ony network. So i think im pretty fine.
My idea is that directionnal antennas pointed towards the router and the pc would help. I dont understand the huge package loss (its not randomly appearing), when only one 40cm wall is between router&repeater.
Can i tweak some settings in DDWRT?
Getting the RT N16 because i think its a good deal for 30 bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: