New Buffalo WZR-1166DHP Won't Flash to dd-wrt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
If its anything like the wzr-d1800h, there are to screws behind the plastic sticker that covers the area where the lan, wan ports are.

Thanks Malachi, after poking and prying for like an hour I managed to see that it was anchored at two points behind the plastic sticker (as you mentioned doh!), got it open now. Looks like the standard JTAG and serial ports. I'll post some pics tomorrow and then let y'all know how it went when I find my 3.3V TTL USB serial cable.
Sponsor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so i flashed it!

I found that the tftp2 gui method failed to upload the whole binary(it got to about 70%).
After trying an upload from console it worked great, although the stock buffalo firmware wouldn't run, it gave a bad boot error. The DD-WRT firmware flashed perfectly and seems stable!

Below is the pin-out for the serial port in-case anyone is interested
nicolaspy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any recommendations for someone who just purchased one of these when flashing DDWRT for the first time?

Am I going to end up just bricking this thing and needing to open up the back if I follow the default instructions on the website?

Just trying to learn and save myself some headache, I wasn't really able to wrap my head around what exactly when wrong and then right in this forum in order for success to be had.

Thanks!
andrescastaned
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
nicolaspy wrote:
Any recommendations for someone who just purchased one of these when flashing DDWRT for the first time?

Am I going to end up just bricking this thing and needing to open up the back if I follow the default instructions on the website?

Just trying to learn and save myself some headache, I wasn't really able to wrap my head around what exactly when wrong and then right in this forum in order for success to be had.

Thanks!

Just install the stable version ... i bricked mine with the last fw available in the ftp (12/22/2014). Fortunately i could recover it with the serial console process that Avatar7 posted . (thanks by the way!!!)

BTW: Any idea to restore the stock firmware?
KeepingItCuttingEdge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
HI. I accidentally installed the 1166D firmware on my 1166DHP. I've gotten the serial connected and can see the router boot and get to the CFE> prompt. I also can get it to TFTP files and have uploaded various firmwares to it using the "flash -noheader : nflash1.trx" command. It loads and flashes the file but still boots with errors.

I guess my question here is what file I need to upload to this. I tried the stock 2.13 firmware from Buffalo and both DD-WRT webflash and factory firmwares. I've also tried removing the headers from .bin files to make them into a .trx, but not sure.

HELP! Haha. THANKS IN ADVANCE Question
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
KeepingItCuttingEdge wrote:
HI. I accidentally installed the 1166D firmware on my 1166DHP. I've gotten the serial connected and can see the router boot and get to the CFE> prompt. I also can get it to TFTP files and have uploaded various firmwares to it using the "flash -noheader : nflash1.trx" command. It loads and flashes the file but still boots with errors.

I guess my question here is what file I need to upload to this. I tried the stock 2.13 firmware from Buffalo and both DD-WRT webflash and factory firmwares. I've also tried removing the headers from .bin files to make them into a .trx, but not sure.

HELP! Haha. THANKS IN ADVANCE Question

I think you need to use unencrypted stock firmware.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:03    Post subject: 1166D firmware Reply with quote
Hi
Can anybody tell me how to install buffalo_whr_1166d-webflash.bin onto this router, and if it cant why bother creating the software and updates? I'm totally confused, has anybody on the planet installed this without opening the unit? This may have been covered somewhere but I cant find it. I've tried all the suggestions on this site but nothing works.
thanks
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:08    Post subject: Re: 1166D firmware Reply with quote
larrythebrad wrote:
Hi
Can anybody tell me how to install buffalo_whr_1166d-webflash.bin onto this router, and if it cant why bother creating the software and updates? I'm totally confused, has anybody on the planet installed this without opening the unit? This may have been covered somewhere but I cant find it. I've tried all the suggestions on this site but nothing works.
thanks

This thread is for a wzr, you said you have a whr. Two different units.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a WZR-1166DHP that's currently bricked. I'm able to use a USB-serial adapter to get to the CFE prompt, but after entering the "flash -noheader : flash1.trx" command, I'm unable to start a TFTP transfer (through the terminal or via TFTP.exe); both the CFE flash and TFTP timeout.

Router is reporting its IP as 192.168.11.1, subnet 255.255.255.0
I set my PC with a static IP of 192.168.11.7, same subnet

Any ideas where I might be going wrong??
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try nflash1.trx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Malachi wrote:
Try nflash1.trx

Thanks for the reply! Same result.

I did notice I'm unable to ping the router from my PC (Destination Host Unreachable), nor my PC from the router, so that's obviously a problem for attempting to TFTP...
srthimsen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
srthimsen wrote:
Malachi wrote:
Try nflash1.trx

Thanks for the reply! Same result.

I did notice I'm unable to ping the router from my PC (Destination Host Unreachable), nor my PC from the router, so that's obviously a problem for attempting to TFTP...

Making progress...

I'm not getting the files transferred over via WinAgents TFTP server and using a different machine for the entire process.
However, after transferring the file over TFTP and attempting the "GO" command, it errors out and flashes white and red on the LED...
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: