DLink DIR-868L with optimum firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
pareto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:30    Post subject: DLink DIR-868L with optimum firmware Reply with quote
Did someone find a solution to flash DLink DIR-868L for optimum firmware?

I bought a used DLink 868L, but it turns out to be the one with Optimum firmware.

Can not flash it! the recovery mode always switch to router.optimum.net

However, I'm not optimum online customer.

Could someone help to figure out how to flash a DLink generic firmware?

thanks
Sponsor
Stork
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
pareto, have you had any luck getting information on how change the firmware on the Optimum DIR-868L?

I'm in the same boat that you are, having naively bought an Optimum DIR-868L on eBay.
pareto
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Stork wrote:
pareto, have you had any luck getting information on how change the firmware on the Optimum DIR-868L?

I'm in the same boat that you are, having naively bought an Optimum DIR-868L on eBay.

Nope! No way to modify the firmware. the default router ip address is always an optimum site and I can not access it.

let me know if you find a solution.
ziddey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will need a serial connection in order to flash this. USB TTL cables are cheap. If you don't want to wait weeks for shipping from China, this one is available via Prime at $7: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88

To open the router, you'll need to remove the rubber feet on the bottom to expose 3 screws. Then, you'll need to remove the circular sticker up top (it's a very sturdy piece of plastic and can be removed easily without damage). Underneath is another 3 screws.

Then you can separate the case and find the serial connection between the two LEDs: * ***

Connect the green wire to the first one, the black to the 3rd (in between the cluster of 3), and the white to the rightmost one. Unless you have a high wattage iron, you may have difficulty with the ground (black) one. Feel free to use any ground if necessary. The red wire does not need to be attached.

Use 115200/8/N/1, and keep trying ctrl+c on powerup. You should land at CFE> if successful.

Now, issue: flash -noheader : flash1.trx

Timing is critical and you may need to try a few times to get it. Set your ip static to 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and tftp your firmware of choice.

So far, I've only tried shibby's tomato, and everything seems to work well except for 5ghz.

edit: flashed the stock dlink a1 firmware and still no 5ghz. I downloaded the openrg firmware (.rms file) but don't know how to flash this. Any tips would be appreciated.
06yfz450ridr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

Did anyone have luck flashing with the pinout provided?

I opened mine up and soldered the wires accordingly and hooked it to by serial to usb adapter via a db9

I hooked the first pin which is tx to pin 2 (rx)
ground to pin 5 and the white to pin 3 (tx)

no such luck getting anything to show up on boot.

I tried 115200 and 9600 for the heck of it and even swapped the tx and rx around.

All the connection points should be good.
ziddey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Been a while. Router is closed back up, but I didn't have any issues. By via a db9, I'm assuming you mean you have a max232 in the middle?

In other news:
To update about the 5ghz though, I ended up using someone's nvram dump from a non-optimum revA and everything works great (again, I've been on shibby tomato though)
gist901
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
ziddey wrote:
You will need a serial connection in order to flash this. USB TTL cables are cheap. If you don't want to wait weeks for shipping from China, this one is available via Prime at $7: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QT7LQ88

To open the router, you'll need to remove the rubber feet on the bottom to expose 3 screws. Then, you'll need to remove the circular sticker up top (it's a very sturdy piece of plastic and can be removed easily without damage). Underneath is another 3 screws.

Then you can separate the case and find the serial connection between the two LEDs: * ***

Connect the green wire to the first one, the black to the 3rd (in between the cluster of 3), and the white to the rightmost one. Unless you have a high wattage iron, you may have difficulty with the ground (black) one. Feel free to use any ground if necessary. The red wire does not need to be attached.

Use 115200/8/N/1, and keep trying ctrl+c on powerup. You should land at CFE> if successful.

Now, issue: flash -noheader : flash1.trx

Timing is critical and you may need to try a few times to get it. Set your ip static to 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and tftp your firmware of choice.

So far, I've only tried shibby's tomato, and everything seems to work well except for 5ghz.

edit: flashed the stock dlink a1 firmware and still no 5ghz. I downloaded the openrg firmware (.rms file) but don't know how to flash this. Any tips would be appreciated.

Hi ziddey,
First off thanks for all the great information that you have provided so far. I am going to undertake this project myself and I am going to use your info as a guide. But I have a couple of questions for you that hopefully you can answer for me.

1. Clarify the connection to the serial - JP1 receives the Green, and White goes to R7?

2.The flash command - does that flash the router with the stock firmware that is already stored on the board?

3. If I just wanted to have stock firmware and not DDR-WRT, can I just download the latest firmware off of Dlink and flash that through TFTP?

4. Any chance you can upload or send a link for the nvram you used for your flashing?
pitinga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
ziddey wrote:

Do you have an image from these connections?

I'm having difficult to fin the TX/RX pins.
souzabit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
D-Link DIR-868L - Serial Pinout
JP1
1 TX
2 ----
3 ----
4 GND
5 RX

Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: