Not getting speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
drair0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 0:08    Post subject: Not getting speed Reply with quote
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help me. I am new to this forum. I just downloaded the latest Kong for my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 (Win10). I am set up and running just fine on my desktop internet and wifi devices.

I moved to dd-wrt because I recently signed up for 300mbps internet service, but was not getting those speeds on my desktop with the OEM software. This is all cat5e wired, not wifi. Cable modem to router to desktop. I tried everything. So I thought moving to dd-wrt would help me get that speed. I know it's there because when I connect my modem directly to the computer (wired), I easily hit over 300mbps. But when I go through my router, it maxes at 95. My Internet Port Statistics say 1000M/Full.

I apologize, I do not know what other settings info to provide, I'm not good at this.

Does anyone know where I can begin to get my 300mbps?

Thank you very much.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Search for DD-WRT and software NAT versus Hardware NAT.

DD-WRT does NAT in software via the processor, stock firmware does NAT in Hardware, this will make a difference.

Check the processor usage on your router while testing to see if it maxes out. Otherwise, you could possibly overclock the router, disable QOS, ....
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
This router should handle more than 90.

1) Are you using PPoE on the WAN?

2) Bad QOS Set-up

3) EBTABLES loaded
P3X-749
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
IMHO these numbers are far too low for the R7000, even if CTF comes into play. Maybe QoS or extensive filtering is activated ac well?

edit: too late Wink
JAMESMTL
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can get ~450 Mbps with DDWRT on a R7000 DHCP no QOS. Have another R7000 pppoe and it has no issue with a 300 Mbps service.

If your getting around 95 it sounds like you have a 100 Mbps link somewhere in the chain. either R7000 to modem or R7000 to PC. Check your cables and port speed indicators.
drair0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the suggestions, I am going to review my settings you mentioned and re-test. I will update.
drair0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
This router should handle more than 90.

1) Are you using PPoE on the WAN?
-No

2) Bad QOS Set-up
-I have not set it up yet, it is still disabled

3) EBTABLES loaded

-No
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
@drair0
erase nvram and reflash and manual edit your settings...
it did happened to me once...
do you run VPN on it, this speeds are normal if so...

p.s.
P3X-749 wrote:
IMHO these numbers are far too low for the R7000, even if CTF comes into play. Maybe QoS or extensive filtering is activated ac well?

there is no CTF with DD-WRT all is software NAT !!!

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
P3X-749
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
@drair0
erase nvram and reflash and manual edit your settings...
it did happened to me once...
do you run VPN on it, this speeds are normal if so...

p.s.
P3X-749 wrote:

there is no CTF with DD-WRT all is software NAT !!!

Embarassed yes, that i know already...what i was trying to say was, that even without CTF these numbers are too low.
...sorry, not a native english speaker, here
<Kong>
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
Search for DD-WRT and software NAT versus Hardware NAT.

DD-WRT does NAT in software via the processor, stock firmware does NAT in Hardware, this will make a difference.

Check the processor usage on your router while testing to see if it maxes out. Otherwise, you could possibly overclock the router, disable QOS, ....

Did you even read what he wrote:

Quote:
I moved to dd-wrt because I recently signed up for 300mbps internet service, but was not getting those speeds on my desktop with the OEM software.

If both oem and dd-wrt fw show the same issue, then it is has nothing to do with a fw difference. More likely there is a problem with the modems phy which does not correctly negotiate the phy rate.

1. Use the dd-wrt integrated speedtest:

speedtest_cli -d 1 3 1 2

2. If that also show only 90Mbops, it must be the phy rate handling of the either the modem or the router, for testing use a switch and connect the modem and router wan port to the switch, this sometimes helps with buggy phys, I do not know of any phy compatibility issue in the R7000s phy, more like that your modem sucks.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
<Kong> wrote:

Did you even read what he wrote:

Quote:
I moved to dd-wrt because I recently signed up for 300mbps internet service, but was not getting those speeds on my desktop with the OEM software.

My bad <Kong>, apparently I could not read. I thought it said that after switching to DD-WRT the speed was limited from OEM firmware.

drair0 wrote:

I know it's there because when I connect my modem directly to the computer (wired), I easily hit over 300mbps.

This is what gets me, I would think that if it is the modem, that it would still negotiate a lower speed with the desktop. This leads me to believe, that drair0 is setting something that is limiting it or possibly something wrong with hardware (cable, router, or ...)
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 13:49    Post subject: Re: Not getting speed Reply with quote
drair0 wrote:
I just downloaded the latest Kong for my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 (Win10). [...]
I moved to dd-wrt because I recently signed up for 300mbps internet service, but was not getting those speeds on my desktop with the OEM software. This is all cat5e wired, not wifi. Cable modem to router to desktop. I tried everything. So I thought moving to dd-wrt would help me get that speed.
That is generally an incorrect assumption, but not the cause of your issue, as noted by others.

What speeds were you getting w/ OEM firmware? You indicated direct modem speed, and DD speed, but not OEM speed.

Something else you never mentioned; did you do a reset after flashing DD, prior to setting everything up manually?

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
drair0
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 0:12    Post subject: Re: Not getting speed Reply with quote
What speeds were you getting w/ OEM firmware? You indicated direct modem speed, and DD speed, but not OEM speed.
-95mbps

Something else you never mentioned; did you do a reset after flashing DD, prior to setting everything up manually?[/quote]
Yes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: