WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
uhuglue
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:46    Post subject: WNDR4500 (N900) supported? Reply with quote
Hello,

I'm wondering if the WNDR4500 is supported by any sort of generic build considering that it has a Broadcom BCM4718 chipset, which is used in many other routers that have DD-WRT support.

If not, what sort of time frame is expected on new devices that hit the market? I'm fairly new to DD-WRT so I'm not sure on the average length of time.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is currently not supported and will not be until the developer (Eko in this case) has got a donated router on his table.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd be willing to assist, but don't have the extra money to send over the WNDR4500 router. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 15:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Donations can either be a router from a very generous guy (that is not so common) or a bunch of users pooling to raise enough money (more common) for Eko to buy the router locally in Slovenia.

The WNDR4500 has not been on the market for a long time so right now there might not be enough owners of it wanting a dd-wrt port.
The router may not even be available in Slovenia right now..

It is still a good time for interested users to come forward and tell how much they are willing to donate for this project.
I guesstimate that $200 is the goal that must be reached and it can be done if 15 users donates $15 each.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'll put up $15 for this.
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The WNDR4500 has a BCM4706 based 600MHz MIPS32 74K CPU. It is faster than even the AR7161 based 680MHz MIPS32 24K CPU. It is ALOT faster than the BCM4718 480MHz MIPS32 74K CPU. It is also used by the Asus RT-N66U ROG Republic of Gaming router that has 32MB flash/256MB ram.

The WNDR4500 only has 128MB flash/128MB ram, though. They are both 3 stream routers.

So, I doubt it is going to be easy to port DD-WRT to this router.
baryll
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
The WNDR4500 only has 128MB flash/128MB ram, though. They are both 3 stream routers.

Oh, sorry to ask as a newbie to dd-wrt, but why is that? I was actually thinking about to RMA my Asus N56U and get the WRD4500 instead b/c I read that it might much easier to port the Netgear to DD-WRT.
Gumbie02151
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 22:51    Post subject: Donatre Reply with quote
I'd donate the $15, and apon a working port would offer another $30! I am a new owner of this WNDR4500, and there are just a few features Netgear left out. Like being able to put the guest interfaces on thier own seprate routable network. Theres other things I would like, but that one thing above alone is worth the added expense..

Gumbie
icontender
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just got this router too. I can add $20 to the pool. How do we go about coordinating our money so they can purchase the device? Do we add in a paypal description "for WNDR4500 support"?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys probably should send the donations to eko via his paypal account and note it for WNDR4500 support. Donation addy is donate at dd-wrt.si

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
phenixdragon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I thought I saw a wiki page showing that this was supported. Hm...well if not, i might be willing to donate a router if other members could pay me back if they wanted to. I was trying out the Cisco E4200 but just kept having issues with my Xbox being kicked Live and also poor wireless range. I was hoping this Netgear would resolve that but I want DD-WRT on it.
razym
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd donate as well if there was a reasonable chance we can actually get WRT on this thing, whether it be openwrt or dd-wrt.
Simon
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
baryll wrote:
Simon wrote:

Oh, sorry to ask as a newbie to dd-wrt, but why is that? I was actually thinking about to RMA my Asus N56U and get the WRD4500 instead b/c I read that it might much easier to port the Netgear to DD-WRT.
The wndr4500 would require more added code as it seems to not use the built in radio of the BCM4706 SoC for one of the bands, rather use it on a separate chip. The CPU is now able to dedicate itself to do even more router duties than previous BCM chips that used the built in radio.

The bad thing is, the power requirement is greatly increased. Early betas had a small fan, later replaced by MANY heat-sinks. The CPU appears not only w/ higher clock freq. but is a bit more complex design that runs hot.

Future chip shrinks & integration will of course cut the power/heat requirements.
m4p
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
The WNDR4500 has a BCM4706 based 600MHz MIPS32 74K CPU.

Simon, are you sure it's a BCM4706? I thought I'd read that it was a BCM4718 (480 MHz). I actually have the WNDR4500. I suppose I could take the cover off to verify but wouldn't it have a heat sink over the CPU (which I wouldn't want to remove)? Thanks.

Edit: Oops, it is indeed the BCM4706: http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDR4500

As a side note, I love this router. It's screaming fast and rock solid, even with Netgear FW.
ZeDestructor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Simon wrote:
baryll wrote:
Simon wrote:

The wndr4500 would require more added code as it seems to not use the built in radio of the BCM4706 SoC for one of the bands, rather use it on a separate chip. The CPU is now able to dedicate itself to do even more router duties than previous BCM chips that used the built in radio.

The bad thing is, the power requirement is greatly increased. Early betas had a small fan, later replaced by MANY heat-sinks. The CPU appears not only w/ higher clock freq. but is a bit more complex design that runs hot.

Future chip shrinks & integration will of course cut the power/heat requirements.

Why would it require extra code? I would think it would be a similar amount as the WNDR4000/other BCM4718 routers since the BCM4706 (as I understand it) is merely a higher-clocked BCM4715 with the radios removed. As for the actual radios themselves, they're just a pair of BCM4331s for which we already have working versions of DD-WRT.

In short, I think that all we need for a DD-WRT port to the WNDR4500 is a HW donation. I would personally be willing to donate US$10 at this point in time

m4p wrote:
Simon wrote:
The WNDR4500 has a BCM4706 based 600MHz MIPS32 74K CPU.

Simon, are you sure it's a BCM4706? I thought I'd read that it was a BCM4718 (480 MHz). I actually have the WNDR4500. I suppose I could take the cover off to verify but wouldn't it have a heat sink over the CPU (which I wouldn't want to remove)? Thanks.

Edit: Oops, it is indeed the BCM4706: http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_WNDR4500

As a side note, I love this router. It's screaming fast and rock solid, even with Netgear FW.

It is indeed (and I may have wrongly put in a BCM4718 on that page at some point in time ¬_¬), and the new UI isn't half bad either.
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: