WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
js1662
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
stevedensmore wrote:
You missed the part where I said the working V2 has no problem assigning an IP and delivering the internet to my other devices (TV, Xbox 360, and PS4) that are hardwired. It simply won't allow me to access the GUI through a web browser when it's hardwired. However, the router's GUI can be accessed without an issue when connected over WiFi. It did the same thing with the Netgear firmware on both routers. I've updated the firmware numerous times this way on the working V2.

Sounds like I misunderstood so lets start over again. Am I right that you have two units one is working fine but still can't access dd-wrt GUI from LAN and the other unit is bricked? Am I right that both units when out of the box can't access Netgear GUI nor dd-wrt from LAN? However, you can access both Netgear GUI and dd-wrt GUI from wifi.

For the working one, since you can connect other devices to the LAN and can access the Internet, that means the LAN ports are still working. The only issue is that you can't access dd-wrt GUI from the LAN. What happens if you go to Administration page and set the router to Factory Default. Normally, all settings will be reset to default values and router is in router mode with DHCP enabled and local IP set to 192.168.1.1 and when you connect your PC to the LAN port, it should get an IP from the router and you can access dd-wrt GUI at 192.168.1.1. Can you give it a try and see if it works?

As for the bricked one, is it same or similar to the other unit before it is bricked? If so, than serial method or even the Netgear recovery tool may work.
Sponsor
2chp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone know why that after I updated to DD-WRT v3.0-r27360 (06/18/15) giga my kernel version shows Linux 3.10.80 #8599 Thu Jun 18 07:49:03 CEST 2015 mips and not Kernel 3.18.16, 4.1-rc8 that was added on build 27343?

Looking at the build reports it looks like most people are posting the same kernel and not the updated one, but I haven't found any questions on here as why.
KrypteX
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only units that were previously on K3.18, were updated to the latest K3.18.16.

The router was previously on K3.10, so it's now on the latest K3.10.x branch.

2chp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
@KrypteX Thanks! That makes sense other than that question.. if anyone is wondering v1 wndr4500 build 27360 runs like a champ with zero errors. Will start posting successful flashes on next build.
jace88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys

I'm a new joiner to this and have been trying to get ibVPN (openvpn) to work on the WNDR4500 for the past few nights relying on guidance from this thread, etc... to cut a long story short, after finally repairing the firmware on my old WNDR4500 (v1) and having to buy a USB Ethernet adaptor for my Windows tablet (as my only Windows laptop is from work which after much trial and error I realised was blocking me from doing firmware updates over LAN using tftp).

So far I've tried the Kong build, the latest (19 June 2015) build and the MyOpenRouter build but none of them seem to work with ibVPN on either LTTP or PPTP. I've also spent alot of time talking with their tech support who used Teamviewer to try and set things up but in each firmware instance it had issues running the scripts/code they set up to start VPN.

The tech support person recommended I look for a firmware which supports VPN. Is there anything which I can install which will help me achieve this?

FYI the sites I looked at (in case anyone else stumbles upon this and wants to know):

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19841 - reinstall firmware
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR4500 - links to download initial and upgrade DD-WRT firmware + Kong
http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/dd-wrt-wndr4500v1 - myopenrouter version for WNDR4500v1

http://www.ibvpn.com/billing/knowledgebase/36/DD-WRT-routers-OpenVPN-setup.html - IBVPN installation guide for OpenVPN (which didn't work and apparently wasn't supported on my router)

http://www.ibvpn.com/billing/knowledgebase/27/DD-WRT-routers-PPTP-VPN-setup.html - IBVPN installation guide for PPTP VPN which also didn't work.

(note I am not a tech expert so please bear with me!)

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated as I really just want the router to be set up so any device connecting to it will be able to connect through to VPN.
2chp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
@jace You may want to update to the latest build ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/06-20-2015-r27396/ according to KrypteX's change log there was a update to OpenVpn 2.3.7.

Good Luck
jace88
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. I was about to do that but then the ibvpn guys connected again and were able to get PPTP to work! They said something about the characters weren't saving *shrugs* - I did the 30-30-30 quite a few times last night so not really sure but yay, it works now. And I have netflix access Very Happy

(thanks anyway though- I'll wait until it breaks then I'll try upgrading)
CaptainTrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello All, this is my first time diving into custome firmware and hope you all can help.

I installed dd-wrt Kong Build 25015-SP1 per reco from wiki on my WNDR4500v1.

Then I configured the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs both with WPA2-PSK Personal with AES.

I then connected to each network from 3 different devices all on wifi from less than 5 ft away.

I have a 101Mbps cable internet connection and my speeds are maxing at 60mpbs down. Prior to this custom firmware install i was hitting 95+mbps on the stock Netgear firmware.

After researching, I understand I may need to configure the channels for correct width but ony have 20hz or 20+20hz and am getting a little lost as have been working on this all day. The throughputs for both networks seem stuck at 65mbps for 2.4Ghz and 144mbps on 5Ghz within the dd-wrt GUI admin System information page.

Can someone help?

Thanks,
2chp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@CaptainTrap Reset factory defaults and follow this guide to setup your wireless properly http://tips.desipro.de/2014/02/12/wireless-starters-guide-for-first-time-dd-wrt-users/.

If that doesnt do it for you and your sure your channels are clear, make sure your MTU is set at 1500 if your running cable. You can easily verify your MTU. at http://www.speedguide.net/analyzer.php. Of course you probally should update to the latest build 27243 or at least 27360 via ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/06-22-2015-r27413/, you only need the .bin file for the update.
Just remember to do a full hard reset before and after, utilize the WNDR4500 Wiki for the steps.

Someone else more knowledgeable than I may chime in with other settings such as changing basic rate and what not, but I'd personaly start with the above.

Good Luck
CaptainTrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
@2chp - Thank you for the advice. I 30/30/30 factory reset the router, updated the firmware to 27360, 30/30/30 factory reset again, and still am experiencing low speeds. I am using the windows Status view on the 5gz network and its showing a connection at 144 Mbps where as on the stock netgear firmware i was connected at 300Mbps. This is true for the 2.4Ghz network as well.

Speedguide.net confirms my MTU is configured at 1500. I think I need to look at other settings but have no clue where to start.

My endgame is to get this base router configured on dd-wrt and then configure my wndr3700v4 router as a repeater on dd-wrt to boost the signal down the hall. I just bought a condo and the office and modem are on the opposite side of the place as my bedroom and i need a strong signal to stream netflix to my chromecast as well as other personal devices. HELP! Thanks.

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2015.06.23 15:29
IP address: 24.188.xx.xxx
Client OS/browser: Windows 7 (Chrome 43.0.2357.130)

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 65700 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)
Unscaled RWIN : 16425
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 2628kbps (329KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1051kbps (131KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 112
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)
CaptainTrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to mention i am also using speedtest.net to confirm my down stream speeds and i cant seem to break 60Mbps down on any device where as on the stock netgear firmware i was breaking 100Mbps. Hope this helps.

Thanks.
2chp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
@CaptainTrap You followed the wireless setup guide, and your channel width is set at wide? If you have an Android device download https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.netgear.WiFiAnalytics&hl=en. Use it to find the best possible channel you should be on. Alternatively, for your computer utilize https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/.

CaptainTrap wrote:
I am using the windows Status view on the 5gz network and its showing a connection at 144 Mbps where as on the stock netgear firmware i was connected at 300Mbps. This is true for the 2.4Ghz network as well.

For testing purposes, turn off WiFi protection, save and apply. Does your connection rate increase? If so, try another speed test. Obviously you dont want to leave it open so be sure to enable it afterward. You may also tinker with MIMO under Wireless > WL0 -Advance, bump that up, save and apply.

Quote:
My endgame is to get this base router configured on dd-wrt and then configure my wndr3700v4 router as a repeater on dd-wrt to boost the signal down the hall. I just bought a condo and the office and modem are on the opposite side of the place as my bedroom and i need a strong signal to stream netflix to my chromecast as well as other personal devices. HELP! Thanks.

Although you gotta do what ya gotta do, repeaters will slow your internet down drastically. If the condo has a crawl space, consider running Cat6 or better to your room whenever possible.

Apart from my suggestions, unfortunately I'm new to DD-WRT as well, however I come from network tweaking background. I would lean on channel interface, if the security settings are not the issue.

Sadly I do not have anywhere near those speeds, I live in the country so am provisioned at 3 up through Frontier. Hopefully someone who has DD-WRT high speed setting tweak knowledge will join in and offer up their advice. Ultimately it could just be inherent to DD-WRT and there is nothing that can be done, in which case will come down to choice. But it could also be a firmware issue one that I cannot troubleshoot due to my negligible speed Wink

One last piece of advice use www.testmy.net as your true speed comparison. All other speed test sites / apps are not as near accurate as they would like you to think. Unless your end goal is to stroke your bandwidth ego, in which case I've seen many shinny OOKLA signatures on here lol.

Good Luck
stevedensmore
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
CaptainTrap wrote:
I forgot to mention i am also using speedtest.net to confirm my down stream speeds and i cant seem to break 60Mbps down on any device where as on the stock netgear firmware i was breaking 100Mbps. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Weird, I was maxing out at 60Mbps too. So I tried bypassing the router straight to my cable modem, and sure enough it consistently hit 80Mbps in the same test and server. I've tried hard resetting, and DD-WRT can't jump the hurdle. My laptop is connected on 5ghz at 300Mbps.
n1ghtwish
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just upgraded to build 27396 after a full reset, on a 4500v2. Everything works pretty well except for a couple things:

1) 2.4ghz SSID drops every now and then. Disabling and re-enabling fixes it, or a full reboot. Apparently this has been a DD-WRT issue for a long time.

2) Enabling QoS breaks my internet connection. All devices will still be connected to the network but will show "no internet access" - however, the router does show an active WAN connection.

Anyone else have these issues?
leadboots5
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
n1ghtwish wrote:
Just upgraded to build 27396 after a full reset, on a 4500v2. Everything works pretty well except for a couple things:

1) 2.4ghz SSID drops every now and then. Disabling and re-enabling fixes it, or a full reboot. Apparently this has been a DD-WRT issue for a long time.

2) Enabling QoS breaks my internet connection. All devices will still be connected to the network but will show "no internet access" - however, the router does show an active WAN connection.

Anyone else have these issues?

1. I just have a V1, but on a 27378 I don't have the WiFi issue. May want to try resetting it to see if this goes away. Seems like a basic functionality issue.

2. Haven't used QoS myself, but I've certainly read on various routers/threads over time having issue with QoS so who knows how well it works. I can only say to double check that you have it set right.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 79 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: