WNDR4500 (N900) supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 94, 95, 96  Next
jf555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
bryank wrote:
jf555 wrote:
Router: Netgear WNDR4500v1
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r29002
Kernel: 3.10.96
Reset: no
Errors: no

Web upgrade from r26138, developers, you guys have a WINNER!!! Awesome build, I've been testing various builds in the past couple weeks for a WNDR4500v1 and this one was just the best. Thank you.javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')

I tested:

-SSH with cert exchange
-UPnP
-dnsmasq, nad paring with with DNS blacklist host0 file
-Static dhcp for over 10 devices, fine
-dhcp on both main and guest lans
-Bandwidth graphs on WebGUI show fine
-DDNS update with custom (dnsomatic.com) fine
-Web GUI no errors or gibberish, fast rendering of pages
-SAMBA with multiple folders and user permissions
-MiniDLNA
-PRIVOXY
-Guest Network
-EntWare and Optware installed fine (kept Entware, many more package and more up to date)
-Mounted /Opt and /JFFS fine
-QoS using MAC, guest network as bulk, and torrent traffic
-Overclocking 662mhz
-Tested against 7 Android devices, 2 Laptops Windows 7 and Windows 8, PS4, Xbox 360, and Wii U (both gaming, and minidlna), 3 Windows 7 workstations, 1 Wireless Brother Printer, and Amazon Fire Stick. All services worked fine and fast, like Netflix, gaming, etc.

-Tested throughput for both radios, and both 2.4ghz as well as 5ghz came out better than r26138 and r25015M. Best throughput was achieved with using least congested channels for both 2.4 and 5ghz in my area, using site survey, which worked fine. Plus, under Wireless Advanced tabs, only couple changes from default, Short Preamble, and TX Power modified from Auto to static of 79mw and 106mw respectively, 2.4 and 5ghz.

-Swap Partition gives looping mount error, however, removed partition and created swapfile instead and works fine with swapfile.

-Now testing stability, going on over 12 hours with load of traffic going through it. Will update, once a couple days go by...

Hope this helps others, lots can be done with this build, and may even be a perfect replacement for the famous 26138 and 25015 builds. We'll see...

Thanks so much!!
UPDATE: Still stable after 2 days 12 hours. Will continue to update...

BTW I installed from Entware packages, Busybox, so I could tear down the Swap Partition and redo a swapfile in /opt partition. I use swapon to in my startup script (under Administration, Commands) to load the swapfile.

This is what my startup script looks like at the moment, I start minidlna from startup because I did a couple custom settings in the config, which the web gui doesn't allow me to do, like changing the location of the minidlna database:

sleep 30
#=========mount swap file============
/opt/sbin/swapon /opt/myswap.swp

#=========ad block/ DNS hosts0 file============
/opt/adblock

#=========copy modified minidlna conf============
date > /opt/sam.log
killall minidlna
cp /opt/minidlna.conf /tmp/minidlna.conf
sleep 3
/usr/sbin/minidlna -f /tmp/minidlna.conf
Sponsor
FragID
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 22:16    Post subject: Upgrade from r25015M to r29002 Reply with quote
Everything is working fine - exept:

the VPN server (PPTP) is not working - has this problem anybody else? Confused
jf555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:17    Post subject: Re: Upgrade from r25015M to r29002 Reply with quote
FragID wrote:

I did not test VPN features.
Schlaefer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today my wdr4500 arrived, but V3!

Will there be a new Firmware or should i send it back?

Thanks
jf555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Schlaefer wrote:
Today my wdr4500 arrived, but V3!

Will there be a new Firmware or should i send it back?

Thanks

Best bet is to return it, I don't think support for the 4500v3 will be coming out anytime soon, if at all. You can try and confirm under the request for support forum.
edxmon
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 19:42    Post subject: Re: Upgrade from r25015M to r29002 Reply with quote
FragID wrote:

I'm going to update to this new build, I can't remember how old mine is, but I do remember I stopped using OpenVPN on the router due to issues.
Anatosuchus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:47    Post subject: Issues with DHCP? Reply with quote
I've just flashed 29048 from stock and it seems to be working pretty well (though I find the wait between changing settings and the unit catching up with e.g. rebuilding the bridge a bit disconcerting).

But, the main issue I have is that the mere presence of the router on the LAN is preventing my machines getting DHCP requests through to my Synology NAS which is my DHCP server.

All the LAN machines (server and clients) are on their own switch, I'm not using the router as an Ethernet hub, so it can't be filtering traffic, and the router DCHP service is disabled in both "settings" and "services".

The weirdest part is DHCP assignment *is* working for my wireless clients, which means those requests are being passed through the router to the LAN for the NAS to service. Definitely an odd thing.

Anybody else seen something like this?
Dano615
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 20:39    Post subject: WNDR4500v2 Build v3.0-r29048 Not getting 250mbps Download Reply with quote
Hi Everyone,

New to this forum. I flashed my WNDR4500v2 with DD-WRT v3.0-r29048 (02/05/16). and have everything with default settings.
I have comcast internet 250mbps download speed. I have verified i get this speed when my laptop is connected directly to my doccis 3.0 modem, in fact i am getting 300 mb download speed.
However, once i put the router behind the modem and i connect with my laptop (cat5), the best i can speed i am able to download is 125mb download speed.

When my netgear router was running the netgear genie firmware, I was able to get download speeds of 300mbps.

Any suggestions on how I can get this to get the download speeds with this build?

thanks in advance!

Dan
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:19    Post subject: Re: WNDR4500v2 Build v3.0-r29048 Not getting 250mbps Downloa Reply with quote
Dano615 wrote:
[...]the best i can speed i am able to download is 125mb download speed.

When my netgear router was running the netgear genie firmware, I was able to get download speeds of 300mbps.

Any suggestions on how I can get this to get the download speeds with this build?
See here.
Anatosuchus wrote:
the main issue I have is that the mere presence of the router on the LAN is preventing my machines getting DHCP requests
What exactly is your network topography? It is an AP? You did a GUI reset after updating right, prior to setup? Did you change the Operating Mode (Advanced Routing) to Routing? FYI: I've been using my WNDR4000 as an AP for some time; going to replace it w/ my WNDR4500v2 soon.
|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
jf555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:39    Post subject: Re: WNDR4500v2 Build v3.0-r29048 Not getting 250mbps Downloa Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Dano615 wrote:
[...]the best i can speed i am able to download is 125mb download speed.

See here.
Anatosuchus wrote:
the main issue I have is that the mere presence of the router on the LAN is preventing my machines getting DHCP requests
What exactly is your network topography? It is an AP? You did a GUI reset after updating right, prior to setup? Did you change the Operating Mode (Advanced Routing) to Routing? FYI: I've been using my WNDR4000 as an AP for some time; going to replace it w/ my WNDR4500v2 soon.

Did you enable QoS by an chance? QoS will, as it's designed, will limit one user's speed to about half of available bandwidth, so one user doesn't hog all of it, but this is by design. You can disable QoS or prioritize bandwidth by many factors as well. Hope this helps.

There were also performance issues with certain builds, once you got to links of over 100Mbps. You may want to test a few like 25015 or 26138 so you can get a better baseline.
bryank
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:58    Post subject: Re: Upgrade from r25015M to r29002 Reply with quote
FragID wrote:

Did OpenVPN server and client work?
Anatosuchus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:52    Post subject: Re: WNDR4500v2 Build v3.0-r29048 Not getting 250mbps Downloa Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:

Note: For some reason the DHCP appears to have settled down in the last day or so, though the only thing I've messed with is access time restrictions for some WiFi client MACs. Weird. I'm going to keep answering though, in the spirit of being a newbie to the firmware and seeing if anyone points out something stupid I'm doing...

Topology, okay, let's see what I can do with ASCII art and a CODE tag... EDIT: Oh, brilliant. the code tag is broken and not fixed width.

Code:

+-------------+   +----------+
<---| Fibre Modem |---| WNDR4500 |  >  > (WiFi Clients)
    +-------------+   +----------+
                           |
                           |
                 +------------------+
                 | Ethernet Switch  |
                 +------------------+
                    |             |
                    |             |
  +-------------------+        +-------------+
  | NAS (DHCP Server) |        | LAN Clients |
  +-------------------+        +-------------+

The problem was DHCP to the LAN clients but not wireless ones, which has gone away but I don't know why...

Router is in gateway mode, and was reset appropriately (I think) on install.
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 13:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the WNDR4500 connected to the modem via the WAN or LAN port? I.e. is it intended to be a gateway for the wireless clients, on a different subnet from the switches' LAN? This would be gateway mode, and should use DHCP for clients.

Or to be an access point, on the same subnet as the switch LAN? This would have WAN disabled, router mode, and DHCP forwarded from the DHCP server.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4

Last edited by jwh7 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 23:40; edited 1 time in total
Anatosuchus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Is the WNDR4500 contented to the modem via the WAN or LAN port? I.e. is it intended to be a gateway for the wireless clients, on a different subnet from the switches' LAN? This would be gateway mode, and should use DHCP for clients.

Or to be an access point, on the same subnet as the switch LAN? This would have WAN disabled, router mode, and DHCP forwarded from the DHCP server.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

It's connected to the fibre via the WAN port - it is acting as a gateway for both LAN and WiFi clients, both of which are on the same subnet.

I've not even started looking at a guest WiFi setup yet until I'm happy the current stuff is stable. If I do that I'll probably need to move DHCP duties from the NAS to the WNDR so I can split the address ranges for each SSID.
FragID
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:53    Post subject: Re: Upgrade from r25015M to r29002 Reply with quote
bryank wrote:
FragID wrote:

Did OpenVPN server and client work?

.... everything is a bit exaggerated Embarassed

i didnt tested the OpenVPN server/client because I desperately need a PPTP solution. Sad

Is it possible to fix this in the future Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 94, 95, 96  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 84 of 96
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: