Unable to go back from Tomato to Stock firmware on E3000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
mbryan718
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 21:33    Post subject: Re: Unable to go back from Tomato to Stock firmware on E3000 Reply with quote
coccoinomane wrote:
barryware wrote:

If it is like the other routers with tomato..

to go back to stock firmware:

strip out the 1st 32 bytes of the header so it starts with "HDR0".. The "H" must be the 1st byte.

Rename the bin to a trx.

that should do it. now flash via the tomato upgrade gui. remember to reset the device before & after flashing. Give it plenty of time to boot after flashing.

After four years... this is still working on E2500v3! Thank you barryware Smile

I reverted from Shibby's [tomato-E2500-NVRAM60K-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-121-Max] to stock firmware successfully.

I had only one glitch: flashing the stock firmware (which you can find on Linksys website) took about ten minutes, and it ended with a timeout from the browser. No panic! Just access the router as usual at 192.168.1.1 Smile

Good to hear of your success!
Sponsor
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was planning on removing Shibby Tomato from my EA6900 but the latest firmware for this router from Linksys has a .img file extension. When I open the file in a hex editor it already starts with HDRO. So, do I simply rename the file to a .trx extension and upload it?
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try to just upload the linksys firmware from tomato?
What do they advise on the tomato forum?

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Malachi on Sat Oct 22, 2016 22:55; edited 1 time in total
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got it to flash the factory firmware using the tomato webgui. I went to flash it a second time using the Linksys webgui because I heard that this is one of those dual boot routers but the flash failed when using the same file. The error message said that it's an invalid file. So I downloaded again from Linksys but the flash failed again. It's not a big deal since the router is out of warranty anyway. So, I tried to flash it with the initial dd-wrt firmware but that didn't work either - invalid file error message. I guess I should try to use the jtag port and clear the nvram and try again(?).
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not from the jtag port. Maybe the serial port. Not sure. These ea6xxx series routers are a pain in the rear.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wish I had a manual that shows how to disassemble this thing without breaking it.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Take the 4 feet off of it, take out the 4 screws and pry it off. You may break one or two of the little plastic tabs but the 4 screws are enough to hold it together.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried to install the firmware via tftp. The upload was successful but I'm still having trouble with this router. On a reboot I'm getting the CFE miniWeb Server even though there is firmware loaded - I can enter the routers address in the url field and it brings up the dd-wrt webgui. Why does the CFE miniWeb Server come up after every reboot? Also, it takes this router an abnormally long time to come back up (almost 10 minutes).

BS build 30771
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I didn't realize you'd changed the cfe. If you had a serial cable hooked up while its booting with putty running, you would see the the router looking for firmware upload for a certain amount of time. It's at this point that the cfe mini web server comes up at 192.168.1.1.
It takes longer to boot because it's not meant to run like this.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
So, what do I need to do to keep the CFE miniWeb Server from coming up after every reboot? Having that happen just won't do.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is nothing you can do. It eventually boots up if you do nothing. All asus routers look for firmware upload when booting. If you had a serial cable on an asus router you'd see that.
If you saved your original cfe, and all your nvram variables you could reflash it back to stock.
Like I said these ea6xxx routers are a pain. Get a netgear or even better an asus router, since you are trying to make your ea6900 be an rt-ac68u.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If I recall correctly, I did the CFE "mod" because it fixed the 32k bug in the EA6900. Anyway, I couldn't get the EA6900 to work reliably so I guess I'll look at an Asus replacement (AC1900) even though they're not cheap. For now, I'll be using my WRT54gV8. Too many things to buy and not enough money.
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can get an rt-n68 used on eBay for right around $100. I had mine listed here last week for $90 but no interest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 0:08    Post subject: Re: Unable to go back from Tomato to Stock firmware on E3000 Reply with quote
coccoinomane wrote:

After four years... this is still working on E2500v3! Thank you barryware Smile

Ditto and for another E2500v3! The hex editor I used (didn't have one) was HxD and taking out the first 32 bytes was as simple as editing a text file to remove the first 32 characters. Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: