Linksys WRT54G v8.0 "Upgrade are failed"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Ariel Baus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 20:33    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G v8.0 "Upgrade are failed" Reply with quote
Hi,

I've searched all through the forum and found some 'similar' posts, but non of those resolve my problem.

I have a Linksys WRT54G v8.0. Here is the link for it.

http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v8.0_%26_v8.2#How_To_Flash_the_WRT54G_v8.0_and_v8.2_Using_v24_.28including_sp2.29

The first installation step for it is to go to the
Web GUI -> Administration -> Firmware Update
Load the killer "vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin"
Hit the start upgrade button and wait for it to finish, but half way through the file upload I get a screen that says "Upgrade are failed!"

The bright side is that my router isn't a brick, but still need to get the dd-wrt on it.

Hope I've given enough information for you to help me!
And thanks if you do.

Captura killer.PNG
 Description:
Killer loading screenshot
 Filesize:  39.53 KB
 Viewed:  12009 Time(s)

Captura killer.PNG

Captura killer fail.PNG
 Description:
Fail screenshot
 Filesize:  5.09 KB
 Viewed:  12009 Time(s)

Captura killer fail.PNG

Sponsor
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The issue is that the upgrade check uses poor grammar... Razz

I had an issue like this on my WRT54GSv6; not sure if its was the Vx killer step or not...this was years ago. But renaming the file fixed it; not sure if it was to or from .bin, but worth a try; try .chk or .trx for example.

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
Ariel Baus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
The issue is that the upgrade check uses poor grammar... Razz

I had an issue like this on my WRT54GSv6; not sure if its was the Vx killer step or not...this was years ago. But renaming the file fixed it; not sure if it was to or from .bin, but worth a try; try .chk or .trx for example.

True on the grammar.

I tried what you said about other file types (Copy pasted the killer and renamed it with samename.chk and samename.trx) and with both I got a pop up that said
Quote:
Incorrect file type. The file type should be ".bin"

So that doesn't do it.

Also tried (I'm not sure, but I think if something could have made things worse Embarassed ) spamming 30-30-30 resets.
Did 5 in a row, and it's not bricked so that is a win, but still the same "Upragrades are failed!"
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a thought. what browser are you using? i had weird stuff sporadically happen using firefox. had to use Internet Explorer.
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Reset your router and try install this Linksys firmware
'WRT54Gv8_v8.00.0_fw.bin'

Then try the vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin
Ariel Baus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
just a thought. what browser are you using? i had weird stuff sporadically happen using firefox. had to use Internet Explorer.

I'm on Google chrome, but I also tried with Microsoft Edge and got the same results.

mrjcd wrote:

I'll do that and post my results, thanks again!
Ariel Baus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:

I tried and got the same response when upgrading the firmware with the WRT54Gv8_v8.00.0_fw.bin does this mean there is something wrong with the router? Crying or Very sad
Sam1789
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 23:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ariel Baus,

Take a look at this link. It's not apparent that you are following the instructions suggested above.

http://linksys-wrt54g-firmware.blogspot.com/2014/09/install-dd-wrt-on-linksys-wrt54g.html

first
vxworkskillerGv8-v3.bin
then
dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin

hth
Sam
mrjcd
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ariel Baus wrote:
Quote:

I tried and got the same response when upgrading the firmware with the WRT54Gv8_v8.00.0_fw.bin does this mean there is something wrong with the router? Crying or Very sad

After you installed the Linksy firmware did it show as such on Linksys page? Should be a build earlier than the one you had.

Also CLEAR THE CACHE of whatever browser you are using and make sure your computer is set with static IP to run the vworkskiller.
Ariel Baus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
mrjcd wrote:
Ariel Baus wrote:
Quote:

After you installed the Linksy firmware did it show as such on Linksys page? Should be a build earlier than the one you had.

Also CLEAR THE CACHE of whatever browser you are using and make sure your computer is set with static IP to run the vworkskiller.

There I meant I got the "Upgrade are failed!" when trying to install the 'WRT54Gv8_v8.00.0_fw.bin'.

And I know the killer goes first than anything else, im following the steps of the link I named on the first post, but in the Firmware upgrade I got the "Upgrade are failed!" with the killer, so i never got over that step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: