WRT54G v7 with MMC & DIR-300 firmware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Jokinen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 20:27    Post subject: WRT54G v7 with MMC & DIR-300 firmware? Reply with quote
I happen to have one of these bastards and believe me; I do know that everyone states it is unsupported, but I ask you to hear me out.

As far as I can tell, this device & DIR-300 shares the same Atheros chipset, but different amount of flash & RAM, right ?

I have time in my hands, and I'd like to do something to this crappy device, so I thought that maybe with custom version of DIR-300's firmware I'd be able to boot it to linux ? I'm talking about absolutely minimalistic version, no wlan, no webui, nothing more but MMC drivers & EXT2 support.

The next step would be Identifying GPIO pins of this version, and if lucky, then adding the MMC mod to the board.

If succeeded to this point, then just pivoting new rootfs from MMC, turn swap on and use regular DIR-300 firmware through MMC ?

Does this sound even possible or not?

Some topics I find interesting.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44448
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43752

So I ask if anyone is tried anything similar to this, and if anyone might have the BrainSlayer's custom vxworkskiller for WRT54Gv7 referenced in here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/others/eko/MD5SUMS "./BRAINSLAYER TESTBUILDS/wrt54gv7/vxworkskillerWRT54Gv7.bin" in hands.

Or if there is some other simple way to get rid of the vxworks ?

Waiting for feedback...
- Kalle Jokinen
Sponsor
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
no way for ddwrt...check if openwrt could run on it
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Allright, If I may ask if there is any particular reason why it must not work ?

And I'd still like to get my hand on that vxworkskiller. (Still have this router just waiting to be bricked.)

- Kalle Jokinen
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
the wrt54gv7 .mmh i have it here. 2 mb flash, 8 mb ram. mine runs dd-wrt, but it will never be published. the device is performing very poor due the low amount of ram

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I do know this unit's limitations better than well, but as this unit has already "retired", I thought that maybe I'd give it a shot as a wlan bridge or such if I manage to get it running linux somehow.
Jokinen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
So BrainSlayer, there is no way you're willing to share the vxworkskiller that is compatible with this device ?
tweiyang11
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
sine this topic had gone cold.. i'll bump it a lil' here..
I tried installing BS' firmware... but it doesnt work.. the router still stays on "management mode" or something like that everytime i turn it on.

is there anyway i can either install dd-wrt or restore back to linksys' firmware??
cuz the router has been sitting there for quite some time and i would like to give it a new life..

Navigation

Jump to: